Old radios and parents

Go down

Old radios and parents Empty Old radios and parents

Post by exray on Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:35 pm

Hi Robert,

I saw your thread on ARF about 'quitting'. Allow me to relate my own story.

My Dad was very against my old radio fascination when I was a teenager, 16 or 17. I never really understood why and frankly I still do not. To him it was just messing with junk instead of doing something 'useful'.

I'm 55 now and he is 78. He plays old fiddle and guitar music as he has done thru all of his life and he's got a few old instruments around that have been restored and favors the old vintage music. But to him, 'consumer radios' are just other people's throwaway garbage. Thats a weird combination of philosophies to me.

As long as I was under his roof I had to abide to his rules. I had much of my 'stuff' thrown out when I went off to school but honestly I really can see the reasons for him cleaning out my 'pig sty' once I left.

All I can say is to just be cool about it. At 16 under somebody else's roof you're not going to gain much ground by protesting. I have two teenagers under my roof and when I go zonkers on them its rarely about the actual issue - it has more to do with a combination of "you don't clean up your room, you don't take out the garbage, you don't help clean up the yard, you don't...etc and now you want a privilege?".

In that light I'd recommend to just be a worthwhile member of the household and you'll find that a lot of things will fall your way. If you can pull that off I'd like to have you talk to my kids - haha Smile Parents really do notice when their 16-year-old starts taking out the trash without being asked and offering to wash dishes.
exray
exray

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Back to top Go down

Old radios and parents Empty Re: Old radios and parents

Post by Oldsmobile Man on Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:46 pm

It's all worked out now thank god... I sorta won, I'm allowed to let my collection grow as long as it stays in and around the garage Smile

I was cool about it, and after an hour of educated debating we came to an agreement...

I'll take your advice and do more chores as you said. I try to pull my load the best i can but every now and then i slack off and don't notice until it's too late Embarassed

anyway, I gonna go vaccume the floor before ma gets home...

all the best you u and yours,
Robert
Oldsmobile Man
Oldsmobile Man

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by ve1arn on Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:17 am

Hi Robert,

If you think you have problems with parents and radio collecting, just wait till you're married! tongue

Seriously, glad to see you were able to work something out. It can be quite discouraging when others do not understand your views and feelings on a subject you really enjoy.

Bob
ve1arn
ve1arn

Number of posts : 134

Back to top Go down

Post by antiqueradiobuff on Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:59 pm

Dont Get Married UNless she loves you and the Old radios and enjoys the same things as you I was married Once for 1 year Shocked
antiqueradiobuff
antiqueradiobuff

Number of posts : 163

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum