A change in Posting edits

Go down

A change in Posting edits

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:29 pm

Due to some issues with people that left, and, decided to remove all of their posts, making our data info base smaller, I am afraid I had to make a change.
You may edit your postings in the first five minuites of the original posting. If you wish to make corrections later, please contact me, or, Mezlaw, and, as long as it isn't destructive, and, the edit is an honest one, we will gladly make the changes for you... I'm sorry I had to do this, but, became evident that it had to be done.
One poster removed over 60 percent of his important postings, and, turned posts into non sensicle posts.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4577
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Re: A change in Posting edits

Post by N7ZAL on Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:17 pm

If regular, daily backups are done with the forum, any deleted posts can be recovered. I certainly don't agree with the "5 minute rule," and it could stifle participation. JMO
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 501
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:22 pm

I hear what you're saying Bill and we will take that into consideration. On our telephone board we own and control the forum software and server and we do regular backups as you stated. This software is not under our control and backups are difficult.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:11 pm

Besides which once the post is deleted from the system, it is NOT replaceble.
I thought long about it. I'm sorry, but, I feel this is one thing we need to do. It is for your protection. The way it was set up he could also delete your posts. We don't want that.
I have little control here. The forum is mine, but, the software belongs to the owners of the program that operates this forum.
I hope you change your mind. It really won't be hard, and, we can make changes fairly quickly for you. I rarely see you guys make changes anyhow, and, as I said, you can still change it in the first five minuites.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:32 pm

Just giving you some feedback, Bill. No problem with the changes.
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 501
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Ramirez on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:47 am

I disagree with this change. Sometimes the ability to edit posts comes in very handy, especially when editing items for sale when your ad has multiple items. Giving the editing ability only to admins/mods just creates extra work for the admins/mods - not a good thing unless you're retired and have nothing else to do.

Just my 2 cents. In the classic words of Lt. Castillo..."it's not my decision."

Now using the 5 minute edit to add this: You should never, ever, set up your board to allow members to edit/delete the posts of others - that should be set to admins and mods only.
Ron Ramirez

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:23 am

Ron, no one can edit or delete your posts with the exception of and administrator or moderator. We did have a problem with one member altering and/or deleting several of their posts because they were upset. This caused Bill and I several hours of work to correct. Everyone is making valid points for being able to edit posts and we will look into what can be done to make everyone happy.

As far as an edit which needs to be made for someone, we would not use our words, we could copy and paste anything you wish, until we can come up with something better. I'm truely sorry for any inconvenience and will continue to look for a better solution.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Ramirez on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:44 am

Mezlaw, my comment was based on this remark by Bill:

Bill Cahill wrote:The way it was set up he could also delete your posts. We don't want that.

Since I run a forum also, I am aware that settings can be made to allow members to edit or delete posts, and that is why I said this should never be done - that just opens the door to mischief.

Off-topic: I sold my Scott Allwave 23 as a result of a Tube Radio Forum ad! cheers
Ron Ramirez

Back to top Go down

Post by sprman on Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:06 am

I think 15 mins would be much better .Just my 2 cents worth.Sprman

sprman

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:11 am

Yes Ron, I see your point, and didn't realize what Bill had posted. I was under the impression you could only alter your own posts, which is the way it is now. I also run a telephone forum and we do not allow any editing after 20 minutes, our member make additional posts for any corrections after that time. We also have our own server and software which is not the case here. As a moderator I do not have access to the control panel so Bill and Cliff will have to look into some of these issues.

I'm glad to hear this forum help you with a sale, that's great! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:12 am

sprman wrote:I think 15 mins would be much better .Just my 2 cents worth.Sprman

This may be a good compromise! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by oldgoaly on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:52 pm

I'm dreadful at speeling, my computer sometimes likes to rearrange what I type, add in I forget affraid stuff after I have posted a pic.... just did it a few minutes ago....
oldgoaly

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2012-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:08 pm

Ron, when I typed what I said I had been awake for five hours cleanning up the mess that the guy had caused. I deliberately left one of his bad posts in to give an example of some of what he did.
That is only a very small example....
I will look into the fifteen minuite idea to see if this forum offers that option. It it does, I'll change it to that.
I am sorry I made the thing out the way it caqme out. I don't think he had the ability to edit others, and, we never meant it to be that way, either.
But, he did make a big mess of things. Believe me. I counted wrong in my first estimate, but, I deleted at least 165 o his bad posts, including some whare he started a subject, deleted everything, and, titled it "o", and, Plsted O.
That is another small example of what he did to threads.
He had it so people were replying to nothing.
He even removed ALL photos.
I am willing to see if the forum offers a fifteen minuite option, and, if so, change it to that.

Glad you sold your radio here.
In advance, happy birthday.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Ramirez on Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:30 pm

Acked. All OK. While I would prefer to have editing of posts remain - in my opinion - I also recognize, and respect, that it's your house and you set the rules. Smile
Ron Ramirez

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:34 pm

Ron, believe me. I really wanted to keep it open. But, if you had seen the way he hacked it, you'd understand.
I am looking into changing edit times. Giev me some time on this. I get help on this type of stuff.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:05 pm

O.K., guys. I changed the edit times. I have changed it to fifteen minuites. Let's leave it that way for awhile. If it's still a little close, I can change it to any number I choose. I have it set now for fifteen min. allowed for members to edit.
Thanks for your understanding.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:45 pm

To me it doesn't matter if there is a 15 minute time limit over being able to change. I am just glad to have a place to post. I do change mine somewhat as I see typing errors when I post sometimes. When I post to sometimes I actually type ot.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1424
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Ramirez on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:16 pm

Forgot to mention - Thank you for the advance birthday wishes. Very Happy
Ron Ramirez

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:02 am

You are welcome.
A song for you. Straight from Popeye.
"Happy birthday to my pal. To my pal. To my pal.
Happy Birthday to my pal.
My pal............"
Ron!
Happy birthday.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Ramirez on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:14 am

Thank you Bill! Very Happy
Ron Ramirez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Wells on Tue May 14, 2013 10:28 pm

I am an Administrator of a hobby machinist forum, and have suffered through what you are describing. Some disgruntled member decides to leave and destroys the cohesiveness of any threads they participated in. It can be quite a mess. I have a 1 hour edit window and haven't had any complaints, or had any more issues with leaving members. Another issue that confronts many fora is one of photo hosting. Most allow uploads on-site, but many people choose to link to their own flickr or photobucket account, which does save space on the forum server, but those accounts tend to disappear, or people can and have even substituted inappropriate materials for something they had put in a thread. That too can cause headaches for management.

Tony Wells

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue May 14, 2013 11:17 pm

I'm sorry, but, I can't have direct uploading because the owners have a limit on server space. I can buy all I want, but, it's only good for a month.
This makes it impossible to allow people to put pictures directly into the forum.
Sorry, guys.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Wells on Tue May 14, 2013 11:25 pm

Oh, I wasn't suggesting or criticizing, just alerting you to another possible problem area with malicious EX members. We have set up a donation system to defray the operating costs, and pay for hosting, so there is ample space for hosting pretty good library and photo albums for each member. Worked out well so far.

Tony Wells

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue May 14, 2013 11:33 pm

Well, unfortunately, they don't offer that here.
It's purely on a month to month basis, and, expensive.
Sorry.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down