Replacement Windows

Go down

Replacement Windows Empty Replacement Windows

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:37 am

Has anyone replaced some or all of the windows in your home with the new energy efficient units?

I'm getting 20 windows replaced today!

Back to top Go down

Replacement Windows Empty Re: Replacement Windows

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:11 pm

Must be nice to be wealthy. lol
I can't even afford to repair my windows.
Oh, well.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4395
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Well, I won't be "wealthy" after this!!!!

No

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:44 pm

I replaced the windows in my home with vinyl energy effecient, low e windows. Mine are Pella. One word of caution. Make certain that the sills and brick moldings are in good shape. Not just visual, but a really good visual inspection. I put one on a rotten sill and now I get to dig the window back out, fix the drywall around it and then reseal and repaint the siding. The sill in question looked good, but had been gooped up with sealer and nobody noticed it. I had my windows "professionally" installed by Lowe's. I do not recommend Lowes, and would recommend that you avoid them like the plague. I paid $95.00 for their "optional", but still mandatory inspection by a professional before the job was done to prevent this from happening. Of course, Lowes says it is somehow my fault that their "professional" dropped the ball on the sill. On the bright side, those windows, and added insulation in the attic and walls during the remodel, saved us big time on heating and cooling. Our AC bills in summer went from an average of $400 a month to just over $85 a month. Same A/C unit as before and the rates have almost doubled in the last 4 years since the remodel. Our winter heat bill has gone down from over $3200 a year for propane to just under $800, and , again, the cost of propane has gone up from $1.15 a gallon to over $2.89 a gallon now. So that has been a tremendous savings. We have R-40 cellulose insulation in the attic, R-23 in the walls and the insulated windows and patio doors. They paid for themselves the first year. It cost nearly $3500 to replace all our windows and both patio doors, and both garage doors.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:56 pm

The next step to my energy sving plan is to replace my aging HVAC system with a new one. We have a York system, dating to 1977. It us basically an AC unit with a gas furnace built in. They call it a "gas pack." It is getting to be an antique, but is so dependable that I hate to replace it with a computer controlled unit that I can't work on myself. The newer units, however, save tremendously on energy costs, so it would pay for itself in a couple of years. Propane and electric costs are skyrocketing around here due to the pressure on coal power plants by environmental interests.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by oldgoaly on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:04 pm

took us 25 years but we did, Pella was the best made wood frame aluminum clad outside. they weren't the cheapest. We replaced the porch windows with a vinyl ones. This house is 1938, they were in good shape but not very efficient. When it is nice out we can open windows and let the breeze flow thru. We replaced 48 windows in my workshop with vinyl ones, the old sashes were falling apart, @75$ a pc wasn't cheap but every 3-5 years taking each window out, reglazing and repainting wasn't either, just replaced 16 windows in another shed and 3 in the barn almost never ending around here!
oldgoaly
oldgoaly

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2012-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by oldgoaly on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:19 pm

WC,
I put one of the 1st propane 90+ furnaces Heil-Quaker made as pre-production run, still under the Whirlpool label. That is what I did for a living HVAC work. They do save lots of money over a standing pilot. Many of the problems with the "high tech" furnaces are in the power supplies, no not bad capacitors but chips that were not able to handle the fluctuations in the grid voltage, being on the mother board you have to replace it. Proper grounding is so important as the flame sensor is a .3-.4 volts ac that gets "rectified" by the pilot or burner flame. Go for the 90+ ones and installed properly! affraid oh there are some less than good installers!
oldgoaly
oldgoaly

Back to top Go down

Post by oldgoaly on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:22 pm

I got LP in January 1.26$ a gallon it has been over 2$ since 2001
oldgoaly
oldgoaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:33 pm

Natural gas is coming, albeit slowly, to our area. I will be the FIRST to sign up and tell the propane thieves to take a hike, you can bet your boots on that.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:06 pm

We have 18 of the 20 windows changed out. Two windows were not measured properly and have to be re-ordered.We had high wind on Saturday night but for the first time the house was quite. I've saved all the wavy glass for resale, the house was built in 1870!

Back to top Go down

Post by oldgoaly on Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:26 pm

yes you can make a few bucks selling old windows, save a couple of pcs for you "old radios" and test equipment.
oldgoaly
oldgoaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Delk on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:25 am

Mezlaw.....what type window did you go with and from what company?
Ben Delk
Ben Delk

Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2012-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:28 am

I went with Window World and a local Window World company. We had them put windows in our other home 5 years ago and have been very satisfied, the windows are just as good today as 5 years ago.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Delk on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:37 am

Did you run into any unexpected expenses with WW?
Ben Delk
Ben Delk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:03 pm

No, I had a contract. There was one issue that came up but no money out of my pocket. The installer said; "The storm windows were to be removed from all windows!" he also said; "Window World charges you $12 per window to remove them, and pays me $5 of it." I said; " I only agreed to hauling the old windows away and you could leave them here, my contract states this! Now....you can install the windows or leave!" He agreed to follow the contract!

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Johnson on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:36 pm

I replaced all of ours in 2011 and got the Govt. energy rebate for that year. Saved me a bundle on my taxes. I had Dove windows put in by a local company. Very happy with them. They were the best quality I found without going way over my budget. A crew of four did the whole house in one day. There are no drafts and it makes a big difference in the heat bill. Going to replace the windows in my wood shop (different building) myself this year.
Steve Johnson
Steve Johnson

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Delk on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:41 am

ok, thanks.
Ben Delk
Ben Delk