Wondering about my old motorola cabinet

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wondering about my old motorola cabinet

Post by dwaynedays on Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:51 pm

I have found what my cabinet is finally http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/motorola_sk77sk_7_ch_hs_969hs96.html seems to be a match. I've turned cabinet on finally and noticed the tubes and speakers are in great shape and I can get am stations. Problem is the turntable and fm dont seem to work. The turntable starts to turn then stops right away. I was wondering how much exactly this would cost to fix if I found a person who could do it, and also in its current state is it even worth anything? If I cant get it fixed id like to sell it and buy a newer solid state cabinet.

BTW the cabinet for my model seems to be in perfect condition too

dwaynedays

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-04-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Wondering about my old motorola cabinet

Post by willy3486 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:42 pm

My advice on most old tube stuff if you are looking for a profit, sell it as is before you put anything into it. Most of the time people put money into them because they like it or it is a keep sake for them. Another thing is to not turn it on until it has properly been gone through. I just worked on a radio similar to this we had to junk out due to it burning up the main transformer when someone plugged it in and the main caps were shorted. It made it worthless. As far as value its hard to say. I see items like this for 25 bucks to 50 bucks, many times they don't sell at that. If you restore it and get it working it may be worth what you put in it or less. But if you want a classic mellow sound that is unique have it restored. You may want ot post your location as some here I think do work on stuff for others.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by dwaynedays on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:54 pm

im around reading pa. I would love to get it fixed but nobody in our area really does that stuff

dwaynedays

Back to top Go down

Post by dwaynedays on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:59 am

problem is i have no way to move this thing so it would have to be a house call and nobody seems to do those anymore. I could probably get a truck for the day but its a risky move without knowing for sure if someone can fix it and an approximate price

dwaynedays

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:58 pm

You need to check out the local shops and advise them that it is tube and the record player needs servicing. Trust me, this is not something that anyone will make house calls on. Of course you can take on the project yourself. There is a lot of help here and you will need some basic stuff to work on it. This is not rocket science if your willing to learn. After looking at the schematic, this one is rocket science. Not for a beginner! Nice looking system and should sound very nice. Have you hooked up an antenna for the FM?
Jerry

Last edited by jerryhawthorne on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:07 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added a bit)

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 732
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:35 pm

Someone ''can'' fix it but you have to take it to them so they can look through it and get you an estimate .

I would suggest taking the back off , turn it on , on FM with the volume up somewhat and start wiggling the tubes around in their sockets to see if its just a dirty socket . The phonograph probably needs its rubber idler wheel either cleaned or replaced .

Ken g

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by dwaynedays on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:02 pm

no I havent touched it at all yet as im terrified to make anything worse lol. Is hooking an fm antenna up easy?

dwaynedays

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:28 am

My guess is there should be a couple of connections on the back of the radio accessible easily that say something to the affect "FM ant."
A TV antenna that you might have on the roof would work well for a test. If not, cheap "T" shaped with two leads off the bottom of the "T" and made of simple flexible wire are often available at ACE hardware stores or Radio Shack. They go under the name of dipole antennas and are only a few bucks. Your radio may have a built in FM antenna, hard to say without looking. Ken's suggestion of removing the back and wiggling or removing and inserting tubes can often also often fix systems that have set for some time and have a little corrosion on the sockets or pins of the tubes. I would not do the removing and inserting with the power on. Try the wiggling. Work on the tuner chassis, not the powersupply chassis. Those tubes won't be causing your problem and will get HOT.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by dwaynedays on Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:20 pm

I got the record player to actually turn! Only problem is I have no clue where to get needles for this thing. ANybody know of a reliable site for this? Also I havent looked into the fm yet but after I get the record player running thats next

dwaynedays

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:30 pm

Try this link. Look at your cartridge and see if you can get a manufacture and model number for it. They should be able to help you.
Jerry

http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top