Need electric heater explainations.

Go down

Need electric heater explainations. Empty Need electric heater explainations.

Post by N7ZAL on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:28 pm

I have a couple of cheap electric space heaters that are 1500 watts. I see ads for Infra Red heaters, quartz heaters, and ceramic electric heaters and they brag they put out more heat, yet they draw 1500 watts. So, will those more expensive heaters actually put out more heat? Seems 1500 watts is 1500 watts, regardless of the scheme. What I am not understanding?
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 493
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Need electric heater explainations. Empty Re: Need electric heater explainations.

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:32 pm

I dunno.............
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4386
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Need electric heater explainations. Empty Re: Need electric heater explainations.

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:57 pm

Seems 1500 watts is 1500 watts, regardless of the scheme. What I am not understanding?

I have to agree, if nothing else it will cost the same to run either one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:58 pm

1500 watts is 1500 watts.

DO NOT buy those infrared heaters. I coworker gave me one for free after it quit working on the high setting. Oh, let me tell you it was one of the $300 or so models, not a "knock off"..... What a piece of Chinese garbage. Basically the plastic "shell" that made it look like imitation oak absolutely crumbled when I took out the phillips screws holding it on to the aluminum heater assembly underneath. Cheap electronics (even though it had a remote), and not worth the parts I got it for....

It may seem "warmer" up front because of the lower fan speed operation blowing over what is basically a quartz lamp found in a copy machine, but I have to laugh at all the suckers that buy one because of all the online "testimonials" that say "we heated our whole house with them for a fraction of the cost of our typical heating system".....YEAH RIGHT!

Buy a space heater for $29.99 and it will consume 1500 watts and "spit out" the same amount of heat.

Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by oldgoaly on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:10 pm

hehehe tell me how a 1/2 hp cap start motor develops 2 1/4 hp? such as in table saw? all started back in the 1980's but let's not discuss politics!
oldgoaly
oldgoaly

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2012-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:13 pm

Buy a space heater for $29.99 and it will consume 1500 watts and "spit out" the same amount of heat.

Mine were only $15, so I must really be "low class."

The responses so far fit to what I understand about electric heaters. So I guess the $300 heaters are worth $300 because of advertising/marketing...not performance.
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Back to top Go down

Post by mikehall on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:00 pm

I bought 2 "milkhouse" 1500W heaters for $20 a piece to take the chill off my workshop. They work fine and do the job.

mikehall

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2012-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:41 pm

I have a couple of halogen radiant heaters. They heat what they are directed at, not the air. at a diatance of about 10 ft., the heat is sitting in a sun room on a sunny day. They each have a 400 watt and 800 watt setting. One additional bonus is that they are great when one has sinus discomfort.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:36 pm

I too have an infrared heater, it is actually carbon sandwiched between plates of thermal glass, as the carbon heats up it emits infrared heat and yes it does feel like sunlight. It actually heats up the surrounding area objects rather than strictly heating the air, the heat of course heats the glass itself and it is designed to use convection from the glass panels to use rising hot air also to heat the air. It has no fan. I have had similar ones in the past and would never go back to the ones you can see the heating elements as they glow red or yellowish white.

You don't have to worry about putting them next to curtains or furniture and having a fire. (of course common sense tells you to keep at least a foot or so from these objects).
There quite, with no fan noise have two panels for 2 heat selection's 750 and 1500 watts.

Now on the topic of saving on the heating bill, yes they will save on your heating bill, if used as a space heater. Which I do, because I have an electric furnace which heats up the whole house, which is a waste. We use our space heater to heat up the front room, kitchen and one bathroom, rather than leave all the doors open to heat every where. In that idea, than yes you will save on the power bill. But yes it feels like when you are out in the crisp fresh air outside in bright sunlight. You can feel the warmth of the sun on your skin even though it may be almost freezing. It feels good.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 902

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:57 pm

Thanks Cliff. Not addressing the direct heat onto you, would it heat the air around as well as the "cheapos," or better? We use the electric space heaters to augment the propane heat and most of the time just use the electric space heaters to heat the area. I'm not concerned about the cost, just the amount of heat from a 1500 watt electric heater.
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:19 pm

All plug in heaters get the elements hot . Some have fans . They all do the same thing but the fan heaters seem to blow the heat out further .

Last edited by Ken g on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ken g

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:12 pm

All plug in heaters get the elements hot . Some have fans . They all do the same thing but the fan heaters seem to blow the heat out further .

I have both kinds and the one without the fan seems to generate more heat. No empirical testing, but observation.
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:26 am

One thing that can improve any resistive element heater is to have a small fan to direct air upwards from the floor toward the ceiling which is where most of the heat collects after it is blown out. A ceiling fan can do this also. You might be surprised at the increase in warmth in the heated area. A radiant heater like the ones I use does not heat the air with the exception of the heat released by the people and surfaces it heats. One other tip: humidified air carries heat better than dry air. Based on what I have read from most folks on this site, I don't think any of us would sink $300 in a heater that wasn't a forced air furnace. Smile
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:05 pm

N7ZAL wrote:Thanks Cliff. Not addressing the direct heat onto you, would it heat the air around as well as the "cheapos," or better? We use the electric space heaters to augment the propane heat and most of the time just use the electric space heaters to heat the area. I'm not concerned about the cost, just the amount of heat from a 1500 watt electric heater.

The objects around you, walls, furniture ect. absorb the heat and re radiate the heat. The same as your body does. the non fan models do heat up and as air passes it, it to accepts that heat as the glass panels do get warm too, and then that heat too rises. I use a small fan to either blow the heat down or push the cold air on the floor up to displace the warm air near the ceiling which forces the displaced warm air down.

Warm air always rises, just stand on a ladder or chair and you can feel the difference. So force the ceiling air down makes the room more comfortable. I used to use a fan pointed at the base heaters to circulate the air coming up and it made a big difference in comfort level and I could then lower the thermostat. Its all in the physics and its applications. Electrical heat is the most efficient form of generating heat. And yes 1500 watts of heat is about all you can get from a standard wall socket of 115 volts It has to do with it being limited to a 15 or 20 amp circuit.

PS. The heat you feel may feel warmer from one source over the other is probably due to the fact of the frequency of the infrared source, longer wave lengths vs. shorter infrared wavelengths.

Just like the sound waves that your ear detects. You can use an audio oscillator that has a flat output, and yet your own ear is more sensitive to particular frequencies even though the volume for all frequencies is the same.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 902

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:36 pm

Thanks for all the feedback folks and at least I have a better understanding of the various electric heaters.
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Back to top Go down

Post by oldgoaly on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:59 pm

All these heaters are rated in power consumption so you don't overload the wiring. I don't know of a test that is done to measure the rise in temperature of a fixed amount of cubic feet of air at a particular humidity such as furnaces are required to do. UL only certifies the electrical performance, not output performance. so it is like the old coal stove if your cold sit closer to the stove!
oldgoaly
oldgoaly

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:08 pm

And now, having cleaned out my condenser and having started the A/C unit, the next environmental corrector comes into play.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by oldgoaly on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:20 pm

best thing a person can do is keep the coils clean! they are tested in new condition, not dirty! I bought a lot of old radios with the money I made washing out a/c units in the summer!
oldgoaly
oldgoaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down