Test drove a 2011 Caravan today and destroyed it!!!!!

Go down

Test drove a 2011 Caravan today and destroyed it!!!!! Empty Test drove a 2011 Caravan today and destroyed it!!!!!

Post by scottb on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:41 pm

My 07 Caravan is close to 75k miles and I have been kind of looking for a deal. I found a decent price on a nice 2011 Caravan but really did not want to test drive yet as I am just in the looking stage.
Well I was talked into a test drive, sales person asked if he could go along, I am sure to convince me I need to buy right away. I got onto a stretch of a 65 MPH road and took it up to 75 to see if there were any rattles noises or shakes. Just then WHAM BAM the thing shifted into first for no reason, good thing for seatbelts!! Shocked
The engine reved and died, I pulled off the road asking the sales person what happened. He did'nt know but told me to try to start it. It did start, but the motor when Ker-thunk Ker-Thunk Ker-thunk!!!! They sent another used van to pick us up and that one the check engine light started flashing engine running rough and it died.
So much for me buying any newer Chrysler products!!!! Can't wait to tell my parents this as they had a new 2009 Dodge Jouney which was so bad they traded it for a 2010 Caravan. The Caravan was was in the shop so much they gave up and bought a 2010 GM product.

scottb

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Test drove a 2011 Caravan today and destroyed it!!!!! Empty Re: Test drove a 2011 Caravan today and destroyed it!!!!!

Post by 75X11 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:06 pm

Good thing it was their van when it self destructed! Very Happy
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Test drove a 2011 Caravan today and destroyed it!!!!! Empty Re: Test drove a 2011 Caravan today and destroyed it!!!!!

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:09 pm

75X11 wrote:Good thing it was their van when it self destructed! Very Happy

I was thinking the same thing! Very Happy lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:20 pm

75X11 wrote:Good thing it was their van when it self destructed! Very Happy

I second that. Its good to see it happen before you buy it. We have been lucky with our cars. My 03 Dodge neon has about 145k. I got a freebee of radios yesterday and went about an hour from work to get them. I went up a mountain at 70 mph and it ran fine. My wife has a 2011 jeep liberty and it has been great. We found a really good dealership that has been good to look out for us. We are in the market for a used truck to have and they had one. We were going to get it and the salesperson was getting it lined up for us. But then she let us know we wouldn't want it due to issues it had. She said she didn't want to sell us one we may have issues with.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:16 pm

This is an old Jean Shepherd program on his buying his first used car. Move it up to about 37 minutes to get into the good part.

http://www.myoldradio.com/include/popup.php?id=25478
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by scottb on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:41 am

I am glad the sales person rode along. Imagine trying to explain what happened!! I am sure the dealership would have believed me!!

scottb

Number of posts : 115

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Johnson on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:39 am

One of my daughters and her husband bought a Chrysler mini van (after I warned her not to). It got to 65,000 miles before the engine needed to be replaced.

On my old job they quite buying Chryslers for the fleet cars because they could not get them to go over 60,000 miles without major repairs, bearings, axles, transmissions, engines, etc. The Fords they could usually run up 110,000 to 150,000 before any major problems. They learned that buying cheaper fleet vehicles wasn't necessarily cheaper.

Not scientific but I've noticed that when sitting at an intersection and you see something belching blue smoke it's usually a Chrysler. Still if your looking for lots of cup holders they are are the best choice.
Steve Johnson
Steve Johnson

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:29 pm

In the middle '80's, I used to be able to tell what engine a Caravan had in it by the way it idled. Most of them used a Mitsubishi engine that the timing chain would bang against the timing cover. This cover usually got a hole worn thru it just about the time that the transmission failed. Total garbage. IIRC, it was a 2.6 litre 4 cylinder engine. Every one of them leaked oil, so when the oil leak stopped, it was time to check and add oil!

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:35 pm

Consumer Reports is always been my favorite for finding out the Dogs, General Motors always tops the list of Don't buy, so I avoid them like the plauge. I just bought a Toyota Camery and am confident it will last me the rest of my life.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:56 pm

In the 1980's Dodge only had 2 different 4 cylinder engines, a 2.2 and a 2.5 litre.(That i'm aware of) The 2.2 was much more common. It was used in many of there vehicles. The mini vans,sundances,shadows,reliant k's and i'm sure many more vehicles i just cant think of right off. They were generally good running engines, i only ran into one that was no good at all. It would shoot water out of one of the cylinders, only figured that out when trying to get it to run, it ended up having a warped head and other issues so it got junked. I also think some of the late 80's had Mazda engines in them IIRC.. In the 90's the Caravans and Voyagers had the 3.0 V6, which was an OK engine. Some had problems with the piston rings i think and would burn oil some, but others were fine and those ran good and strong, even with no oil in them, only found that out bc my friends dad ran his bone dry with no oil, but it survived somehow. Them engines were also used in a few other vehicles. After they quit using the 3.0 i believe they went to a 3.8 V6, i cant really say much about them as i never worked on one. I think my friends (not the same one) mom had a 3.8 in her Caravan and it never broke down on her that i'm aware of besides the timing belt coming off when the engine got wet from like a big splash..atleast that what i'm friend said anyways.. I think her van was like a 2001 or 2003 i cant quite remember.

Toyota,Honda,Nissan,Mazda and Mitsubishi are about the only vehicles that will run past 200,000 with minimal issues. I've seen some Honda's at 300,000 and still going. All of them also hold value quite well, as you are going to be lucky to find a 25 year old Honda for under 2,500.00 and i'm not exaggerating.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:11 pm

My sister was given a caravan with the v6. she was so happy, the person she got it from had a relative will her their vehicle and she passed the van along to my sister. She spent a week working on it's interior, cleaning the upholstery and carpets, scrubbing out each little nook and cranny and getting her son in law to put 2 coats of wax on it, so she could drive it to church on Sunday, Easter Sunday that is, 4 years ago. She called me to come and get her halfway there. She had heard a tiny clunk and it began pouring out dark gray smoke, then called it quits. The car undertakers gave her $300 for it because it looked so nice.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:44 pm

I've been buying Ford Taurus "program cars." They have about 14K miles on them when I make the purchase, and sell for about $14K instead of the new price of $23K. I drove one to 267K miles before the transmission went. Prior to the transmission there was never a major repair. I bought another Taurus "program car" for about the same money and it now has 173K miles on it. I hope it lasts as long as the other one did. I take a lot of abuse for driving a Ford but my wallet doesn't!

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:49 pm

It just isn't cool to not be seen fanning out the big bux to keep a car running well is it? Very Happy
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:03 pm

The people who make dyson vacuum cleaners must be making chryslers

Ken g

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:24 pm

In the first Dodge Caravan's they DID use a Mitsubishi 2.6 4cyl as an option. So WC is correct. Did you also know that some of the first ones you could also get a 5 speed manual transmission as an option? How do i know? I had one with the 2.6 and 5 speed. What a piece of crap!
Tony V
Tony V

Number of posts : 709
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:20 pm

That same engine used a Mikuni carburetor that was a one-off for the Caravan. NO other carb would work. The 2.6 engine was used in Mitsubishi pickups and cars with rear wheel drive. In the Caravan application, the engine was transverse mounted. So the Mikuni used on the Caravan had to be adapted for transverse mounting. Another pitiful device on an already pitiful vehicle. And, despite all its faults, that miserable minivan put Chrysler back on the map and defined what a minivan should be. I worked on hundreds of these things. Another equally pitiful vehicle was the early small Jeep Wagoneer with the 2.8 litre GM V-6. The intake maniflold and carb had to be modified to fit under the Jeep hood and so the bottom of the engine could clear the front wheel drive. And with another unique "half a four barrel" carb. Honda even used this engine in their Passport for awhile. The Passport that was built by Isuzu.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down