Capacitor Value.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Capacitor Value.

Post by NashvilleRad on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:50 pm

I have several typical brown disc capacitors in a set with the following markings: R.M.C. 5K H.D.

The way I'm interpreting is 5000 micro-micro-farad .... I have no idea what 'R.M.C.' or 'H.D.' mean, other than R.M.C. may be the manufacturer and the H.D. has something to do with the tolerance - or maybe the temperature rating.

And ... I couldn't get a reading using the dedicated capacitor meter. I kept getting the '-1' reading meaning the scale was too high, when I was already at the lowest scale.

NashvilleRad

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2012-01-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Capacitor Value.

Post by Dr. Radio on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:06 pm

R.M.C. is Radio Materials Corporation. They were around for a long time and made many types of ceramic disk capacitors. I'll agree that the 5K most likely means 5000pF (or if you want to be old-timey about it Razz 5000 micro-micro farads)...

The bad news is H.D. and the voltage rating is unknown. These might have been apart of a large lot where the original purchaser knew the voltage rating but didn't require it in the manufacturing process for it to be physically printed on the caps.

Since the voltage rating is very important, I'm not sure what good they are for since it's an unknown. You'd think at least 500 volts, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

My 2 cents.
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by analogdino on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:39 pm

Nor would I!  I once used a similar ceramic as a replacement screen decoupler in an FM tuner... worked fine, running at around 150 VDC.  Then I checked the working voltage rating... 50 VDC!  Powered off and removed it... bullet dodged! I will be more careful in future.
Cheers,
Roger

analogdino

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top