bias cells

View previous topic View next topic Go down

bias cells

Post by tommytinker on Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:42 pm

Iam restoring electrical components in a Delco 1217 console and have came across what is called a "bias cell".Can someone tell me how to check it,how it works,and what would be used to replaceit? Never seen this before,thanks for all your input.

tommytinker

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Re: bias cells

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Another member here just restored one with a bias cell. He put distilled water in it, and, sealed it. It's working again.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:29 am

If the distilled water trick dont fix the cell you can replace it with an ordinary watch battery.
Tony V

Number of posts : 607
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryRabbitt on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:45 am

We need to post the link so the OP can try and rejuvenate the bias cell. Many times, it does work, and there is very little drain on the battery. A complete explanation on the process and what the cell does is on Chuck's Philco Repairbench site.
http://www.philcorepairbench.com/biascell.htm
Good Luck!
GaryRabbitt

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by rdusel on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:51 pm

The easiest way I found was to drop the bias cell into a cup of heated water. The air expands and bubbles out.
Let the water cool. While cooling the water is drawn into the cell as the remaining air in the cell contracts.
After the cell is at room temperature take it out of the water and let it dry for a few hours. Then put a thin seam of silicone around the edge where the old seal was to keep the water inside.
Worked well for me and avoided trying to drill a hole in the cell.
Best to use distilled water for this procedure and you don't try to boil the water, hot is all it has to be to work.

Last edited by rdusel on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fix grammar)

rdusel

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2013-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post by tommytinker on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:16 pm

Thanks for helping me on this.This is an invaluable forum for getting the grey cells towork again. Iworked on mostly tvs back in the 70s with my dad.Inhereted all his equipment,tubes , etc.Im mostly into consoles of the 30s andmid 50s.radios and car radio.Retired now so can play with my hobby again.Thanks.

tommytinker

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top