Vacuum Tube Radios for Preppers

Go down

Vacuum Tube Radios for Preppers Empty Vacuum Tube Radios for Preppers

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:35 pm

Do you watch the "Preppers on the History channel? Do you believe in "prepping"?

Here is an artical on why tube radios are good for preppers.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2011/06/vacuum-tube-radios-for-prepper.html

Last edited by MEZLAW on Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)

Back to top Go down

Vacuum Tube Radios for Preppers Empty Re: Vacuum Tube Radios for Preppers

Post by Dr. Radio on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:02 am

Larry,

I've got a radio in the garage that needs a full-blown resto done. It was an eBay score and I seriously thought about doing a picture by picture resto project for the "End of the World" in December 2012.

I didn't have time before the end in December...LOL

The radio is pretty neat and ideal for a prepper.
It's a 1950s Philco combination AC/DC/battery portable radio combination flashlight! Oh, did I mention it not only receives AM, but also SW!
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:04 am

I think there is a difference in a person who prepares for events and bad times compared to the extreme people who prep. I have stuff like canned food from the garden, if I see deals on things like screws I will get them. But for someone who spends enormous amounts on guns,MRIs ,etc they are going to the extreme.

I know one person who lives in the middle of town. He wants all kinds of guns, talks about getting a 55 gallon drum of bullets and even has silencers for guns. He thinks there is going to be some takeover of the country and no one will have guns. The thing I can't figure out is he thinks he can keep his guns as a single person and ward off the entire country's police force if they come for his guns. He also wants to leave the country in a few years for a small island that has a high crime rate from what I have read about.

I think sometimes these extreme preppers are just looking for something to do or get excited about. The way I get enjoyment out of fixing something they get enjoyment out of getting a new gun or some type of prepper item. There is nothing wrong with that as long as they don't threaten others with their mindset. But if you look through history there have been preppers for a long time. Look at the bomb shelters of the 50s.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:46 pm

This thread is on a slippery slope.

I work with a prepper. This guy has several guns, lots of ammunition, hoards MRE's and combat boots from the Vietnam era. He wears camoflaged clothing when he can. He does not own a car, home, and does not have a dime to his name. He donates all his money that is not essential to living expenses to the church. He has no insurance of any kind, no savings or bank accounts, no car, and rides a bicycle 8 miles one way to work. He believes that the "Tri-Lateral Commission" controls the country, that the president is their puppet, and that electronics like engine management computers in cars, personal computers of all kinds including cell phones, are all used to control your mind and to spy on you and find out what you are doing. He has no credit and is totally unprepared for the normal emergencies of life. He wears a cap that is lined with aluminum foil to prevent electronic surveillance of his mind. Scary stuff.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:21 pm

Wildcat445 wrote:This thread is on a slippery slope.

I work with a prepper. This guy has several guns, lots of ammunition, hoards MRE's and combat boots from the Vietnam era. He wears camoflaged clothing when he can. He does not own a car, home, and does not have a dime to his name. He donates all his money that is not essential to living expenses to the church. He has no insurance of any kind, no savings or bank accounts, no car, and rides a bicycle 8 miles one way to work. He believes that the "Tri-Lateral Commission" controls the country, that the president is their puppet, and that electronics like engine management computers in cars, personal computers of all kinds including cell phones, are all used to control your mind and to spy on you and find out what you are doing. He has no credit and is totally unprepared for the normal emergencies of life. He wears a cap that is lined with aluminum foil to prevent electronic surveillance of his mind. Scary stuff.

Regards

WC
I didn't know we worked in the same building. It must be the same guy we are talking about. Wait though this guy has a car I know. They must be twins. lol!

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:41 pm

I thought about the "slippery slope" when I first posted and we will have to be careful.
I think we can have a discussion about the radios and how to be prepaired without getting into the causes for being prepaired. Please let's stay away from the "causes" for being prepared as it will lead to politics.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:45 pm

And he recently took a sledge hammer to his 70" tv that he bought for Christmas because another prepper convinced him that the reason that tv's all went to digital is that the screen is reversible, and that "big brother" can watch you while you are watching tv! True story. Willy, I think you are right. We must work at the same place.....

MEZLAW........Most extreme preppers I know, and certainly the individual I cited, are "apolitical" and would be mortified and actually offfended if someone were to refer to their position as political.

Regards

WC

Last edited by Wildcat445 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:50 pm

The sad part about it is how much of life do these preppers miss out on life with all the negative thoughts. As far as radios and preppers goes how do you power it? A tube radio will use more power than say a hand crank radio that is transistorized. And if there were some massive disturbance in the country proving the preppers right who would actually have a station going. I think they would be more concerned with just surviving than talking on a radio.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:55 pm

Preppers would not listen to radio unless the broadcast was by another prepper known to be reliable, regardless of how the radio was powered. Most preppers have no money, so how would the finance the radio station for preppers, and how would they pay for the radio? The guy I know is fanatically patriotic, so I would think that stealing or committing crimes to pay for radios and such would be out of the question.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:12 pm

Dr. Radio wrote:Larry,

I've got a radio in the garage that needs a full-blown resto done. It was an eBay score and I seriously thought about doing a picture by picture resto project for the "End of the World" in December 2012.

I didn't have time before the end in December...LOL

The radio is pretty neat and ideal for a prepper.
It's a 1950s Philco combination AC/DC/battery portable radio combination flashlight! Oh, did I mention it not only receives AM, but also SW!

I think you do a great job at this and would love to see you do it again! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick666 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:16 pm

I heard about some guys up here spending thousands on canned food and botteled water and a makeshift bomb shelter so ther could survive the 12/21/12 end of the world thing.

I personally question why anyone would want to survive any event that sets the whole world back hundreds if not thousands of years.To me, that would be worse.
Nick666
Nick666

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2010-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingBear on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:48 pm

Not sure if he's a prepper or not but in the Willamette Valley of Oregon we have a fairly educated chap who wraps tinfoil around telephone poles in Benton and Linn Counties. He believes space-aliens are monitoring us via the telephone and cable lines. He was interviewed in the campus newspaper of OSU a few years back and seemed pretty normal and employed.

I haven't seen any new "foilings" over the last few years but I don't get out much. In the late 90's he had a significant number of roads totally covered, and I mean every pole was wrapped with at least three or four turns of Alcoa's finest. Storms have removed some but many still cling to the pole. He had been doing it at least ten years when they interviewed him.

Some of his ramblings made sense...

TonyM

he could be working for homeland security
DancingBear
DancingBear

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2013-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:39 pm

I personally question why anyone would want to survive any event that sets the whole world back hundreds if not thousands of years.To me, that would be worse.

I guess to each his own. Although I don't believe it would ever happen, I would be ready for the challenge.

It is dangerous and illegal to attach anything to a utility pole of any kind! LOL....if aleins could reach us they would also be smart enough to gather information in a more sophisticated way!

Living a rural and independent life I believe in being prepared for various outages. But let's be reasonable, I can see being prepared for a storm like the one that hit New Jersey. Most canned food has a shelf life of 2 years. So if you decide to store canned food you also need to be prepared to use it and replace it on a rotating basis. Water would be the most important thing to have plenty of. I do keep plenty of gas for the farm tractor and generator but this too must be used on a rotating basis or you will end up with stale fuel.
As far as guns I have a few, mostly to control animals but they could be used if we had looters during a crisis. I do stock pile some ammunition but only because it is hard to find anymore. These people who have 1000's of rounds are just plain crazy! I would only fire a warning shot to show looters I mean business. I'm not interested in enough ammunition to start a war! affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:24 am

This would be an ideal radio for such purposes. I have the model 250 that covers the AM band.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/general_el_260.html
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryRabbitt on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:35 am

What is worse is they often drag their kids into the stuff. Poor kids are going to be scared at everything they do for fear "someone is watching'. Life's too short to live like the world is coming to an end. Nutcases most of them.
The TV shows make the participant's money, they don't do that for free. Plus, if they really were afraid of someone taking over their compound (home) why would they be showing their little secrets on TV?
Money to be made on them too.
To each his/her own.
GaryRabbitt
GaryRabbitt

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:39 pm

To each his/her own

Exactly Gary! Very Happy

I believe most things done in moderation are fine.
Last summer we had a derecho which had us without power for a week. I believe in being prepared for something like this or a major snow storm.

Last edited by MEZLAW on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryRabbitt on Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:14 am

Yes, you are right,
Being prepared is a must. Earthquakes, floods, bad weather etc.
When you can't get to the store to buy fresh food, those cans of corn in the pantry look mighty good.

The 'preppers' that are on TV are at the fanatic stage IMHO, and it makes for good TV for those that are like-minded. In a way , those with a huge stockpile of food and provisions are more of a target than someone with less.
Have a great weekend Smile
GaryRabbitt
GaryRabbitt

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down