Music City radio meet/ anyone going?

Go down

Music City radio meet/ anyone going?  Empty Music City radio meet/ anyone going?

Post by willy3486 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:38 pm

Its that time of the year for the Nashville TN radio meet. Anyone here going? If so look me up, I will be the fellow who looks like Steven King the writer. I plan to be there. Here is more info I cut and paste from a offical announcement.

Associated Builders and Contractors Building (indoor banquet room - so rain or shine!)
1604 Elm Hill Pike, Nashville, TN
Free admission, seller fee is $15 per space
We have 40+ selling spaces (depending on table spacing) and were 95% full in Spring 2012
Overflow selling in parking lot if needed

Date/Time:
Saturday, April 20, 2013
Set-up begins at 7:30 a.m., Meet officially starts at 8 a.m.
Early set-up Friday evening (6 p.m.) if room is available (call first please!)

Activities include:
* Walking Auction
* Radio Contest w/ ribbons & prizes (categories to be named soon)
* Premium Auction (NEW this year)
* Very nice 40's Radio/phono, restored, donated to be auctioned
* Lunch (donations toward expense appreciated.
[email=rktramm@aol.com][/email]

A few notes about our Club & Swaps:
All proceeds from seller fees and donations are used to cover
newsletter printing and room rental, and food. On average, we are
fortunate to break even on expenses.
* We put no restrictions on when
selling begins. No worry about wanting to buy a radio and finding it's
been "set aside for someone!" Please be considerate of sellers trying
to set up.
* There is no requirement to join our club, nor membership
fees required. Just ask to be included on our mailing list of events
if you wish.
* Our club operates informally, but in good faith. We
welcome ideas and feedback, and will incorporate as many ideas and
activities as possible. We always welcome anyone wishing to volunteer
with any of the activities.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Music City radio meet/ anyone going?  Empty Re: Music City radio meet/ anyone going?

Post by simplex1040 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:37 pm

I will
simplex1040
simplex1040

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Music City radio meet/ anyone going?  Empty Re: Music City radio meet/ anyone going?

Post by willy3486 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:02 am

From what I understand there has been a time change. It had been starting at 6:30. As per the facebook page It's going to be Saturday, April 20
starting at 8:00. Setup begins at 7:30. Early setup will be available 6:00-8:00 on Friday evening.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:08 am

I would like to go but need to check my calendar.

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryRabbitt on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:47 am

I hope some sellers won't hold back things for people that agree to buy something before the 8AM kickoff time.
I can see someone wanting to buy a radio at 8AM , then be told that 'oh, that's already been sold'.
Hey it's ok though, we will see how it goes.
There is supposed to be a large amount of high end stuff from a collector to be put up for auction. Early sets from what I have heard.
I hope they still have the walk around auction though, get some good deals that way.
Yes, the donation lunch is always a good thing too at the end of the meet. See you there!
GaryRabbitt
GaryRabbitt

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:02 am

GaryRabbitt wrote:I hope some sellers won't hold back things for people that agree to buy something before the 8AM kickoff time.
I can see someone wanting to buy a radio at 8AM , then be told that 'oh, that's already been sold'.
Hey it's ok though, we will see how it goes.
There is supposed to be a large amount of high end stuff from a collector to be put up for auction. Early sets from what I have heard.
I hope they still have the walk around auction though, get some good deals that way.
Yes, the donation lunch is always a good thing too at the end of the meet. See you there!

It will be interesting. The stuff I buy is usually the stuff most don't want. I look more for the junk and advertising stuff. I don't need to buy any radios, I still have some to fix from the first meet I went to a year or so ago . I don;t try to get there a certain time other than within 15 minutes of the start. Although when I went by myself I would leave out early enough to cover any traffic or issues. One time I got there at 6:00 due to that. I just enjoy a place to go to so I can find a few items. Around here to many folks have seen to may picker shows and they want usually way more than its worth.

Mezlaw see if you can come. there is a decent hotel a few minutes from there I go to. Its a lot cheaper and about 15 minutes or so from it. If you do come and need the name of it let me know. I will ask my wife the name. We will probably go to it then as well ,. we need to get away every now and then.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryRabbitt on Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:22 am

Yes, it would be nice to meet you Mezlaw, if you can make it. I do think this might be one of the best meets they have ever had.

Willy, I like the 'early bird catches the worm' theory. It's only 2 days out of the year to get up early, and go to the meet. but even with getting there on a Saturday as early as possible, I saw sets (facing backwards under tables) that have already been sold, the Friday evening before during setup. How is that fair to the people that have to wait until 8 AM Saturday to buy? It's a 40 mile trip for me one way to go Friday night, so I choose to 'miss out' on the early bird deals on Friday.

I do like basket case sets that are complete, but occasionally there is something early on that's a good deal. Wait too long and it's gone. I miss the days of guys setting up with flashlights , going thru boxes of items.
GaryRabbitt
GaryRabbitt

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:05 am

I almost went to probably the first ever meet they had. It was in Lebanon and from the pictures I saw it looked big as well. I think that was over 20 years ago. There was a fellow called Pony Maples big into it I think then,. I think he was a founding member. That was about the time I got out of them years ago. The only complaint I have is there is way more ready to go radios which I am not interested in and very little in the way of parts. I would prefer to buy junk over repaired. I could use the parts to fix others I have. I do find items like advertising from time to time. I guess I am going to a RCA collection since most of my advertising items is RCA. I hope there is some junk,advertising, and parts there. I really don't want to buy any more complete sets. I had one guy give me 5 radios and only one doesn't work. So they become shelf queens I guess.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Johnson on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:52 pm

I'm going. My son lives in Nashville and my wife and I were going to drive down from upstate New York for a visit this spring so I picked that weekend. He only lives a couple of miles from there. Maybe I'll find some really nice piece of old test equipment to cart back with me.
Steve Johnson
Steve Johnson

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:24 pm

Steve Johnson wrote:I'm going. My son lives in Nashville and my wife and I were going to drive down from upstate New York for a visit this spring so I picked that weekend. He only lives a couple of miles from there. Maybe I'll find some really nice piece of old test equipment to cart back with me.

Don't be getting the test items there I want Steve, just kidding if you see it get it. Thats the fun of this stuff. Seriously there has been some nice stuff through there. There was a hickok maybe, test unit . One like the one riders made. If it had been riders I would have got it. I almost did and now I wish I had. I am going to look for a signal generator, one I can adjust the sound frequency and not a am or fm type. My other one died on me and I would like a older one. I am looking for some more RCA stuff, I have so much RCA stuff like my sign from your area I think I will specialize in RCA items. The folks are great as well. I think the wife and I will stay for most of the meet if not the whole thing. If I run out of money I may leave before the auction so no one will see me cry because I can't bid.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Ramirez on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:31 am

I will be there as well, and will be bringing along any remaining radios and things not sold at my yard sale this Saturday.

We will be joining in on the early bird set-up Friday evening. I'm dropping off a 5,638 pound Magnavox Regency Symphony for the club, and will need a volunteer with a strong back to help me unload it. Shocked
Ron Ramirez
Ron Ramirez

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by radiofinder on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:20 pm

To clarify, nobody is "made to wait" to buy at this meet. The starting time for set up is when the doors are unlocked. This club charges no dues and rarely operates at a profit. There aren't enough active clubmembers that could prevent people buying on Friday night or out of cars as they're being unloaded on Saturday morning, if they wanted to. Sometimes those "sets turned backwards" are for fellow collectors that only see each other at this meet and had a trade arranged 2 months earlier...

As with ANY MEET, the "early bird gets the worm", but don't you think sellers know this and price things higher earlier in the day? You have to be willing to pay for what you want when you see it, and get around to all sellers. For those large "Lemans Start" meets, if you think there are no "pre-sales", you're mistaken, and the $20 chrome-front Zeniths aren't going to hunt YOU down.

People who haven't attended this meet before should NOT be discouraged. It is one of the largest meets in the region and there are always LOTS of items, as well as a wide variety of items that appeal to EVERYONE. Bring your family and make a morning of it, you will be welcomed by a fine group of fellow collectors! Some folks take Fridays off and come to help set up tables and get the events set up, but anyone can come by to visit and yes, they are free to make a purchase if the mood strikes.

radiofinder

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:16 pm

radiofinder wrote:
People who haven't attended this meet before should NOT be discouraged. It is one of the largest meets in the region and there are always LOTS of items, as well as a wide variety of items that appeal to EVERYONE. Bring your family and make a morning of it, you will be welcomed by a fine group of fellow collectors! Some folks take Fridays off and come to help set up tables and get the events set up, but anyone can come by to visit and yes, they are free to make a purchase if the mood strikes.

I second that, they are a fine group. As far as any issues such as time and presales it doesn't matter to me. I am thankful I am able to go. When I got started in these things there were no meets here, no internet , and you were mainly on your own. As far as whats there you will find something you like if you look. When I get home from one of these meets I begin looking forward to the next one. I may be one who has a hard time finding something I want since I have way too many radios but I always find something. In reality I look for advertising items,paper items like manuals and junk. But I always find some radios as hard as I resist. Kelton and Larry are my favorite booths to go to. Larry usually always has some kind of paperwork or project. Then Kelton always has that special one that needs a lot of work I always buy. Now if I could just get the time to fix them. If you want some ready to go you will have a lot to choose from. If you need knobs check with Radiopup and Kelton as they both have them. So if you love radios and want to meet others that are like minded I highly recommend it.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by NashvilleRad on Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:51 pm

I'm going to check it out.

NashvilleRad

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2012-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Delk on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:18 am

Already made hotel reservation...I'll be there.
Ben Delk
Ben Delk

Number of posts : 441
Registration date : 2012-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down