I REALLY hate Snipe

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

I REALLY hate Snipe - Page 2 Empty Re: I REALLY hate Snipe

Post by terrydec on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:37 pm

I worked for a company that had to bid on contracts for church systems. One bidder would always be "Stuck in traffic" when the bids were opened. His accomplice would call and then he would "Suddenly show up" and insist that he should be allowed to place a bid-which was always the lowest. He got away with this for a long time.

I've also run into submitting a bid for a sound system. Then I find out that the contract calls for specific components. These components were only offered by the local company dealer and no one else, and if you weren't a dealer you couldn't buy the equipment. In other words the open bid was just for show. Only one company was going to get the contract no matter what.
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1124
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:11 am

Speaking of bidding I use to put bids out for a school system for computers. It was a real pain. Bidders would try to act like you were not doing it properly. I would write the product name and brand then put "or equivilent" so as to not pick one vendor. I didn't care who got the bid as long as they furnished the product that would work. The reason the guy would get the most is he would go directly to the computer clone importer and pay cash to get it cheaper. The main reason was that in all his specs he would write the item and put "or equvilent " . He usually would be the lowest and got the bid due to those two reasons.

One time this guy I knew opened a business. He came up to me and bugged me for all my business. I told him I couldn't just give it to him he had to bid like every one else. I could buy a certain amount without bidding. So I told him I would buy a few items from him so that if anyone asked at a bid I could say I had bought from him and his parts were good. I asked him to get me some card and he said he would. He came back to me fussing about them and tried to get me to buy something else. I told him that is what I need and that is what I want.

A while later he told me that the other competitor was selling me used stuff. I asked him why he thought that. He said because he couldn't get it as cheap as he was selling them. I told him I needed proof of that and I would make sure he wouldn't sale me any again. I also told him he didn't need to be saying that because without proof that was slander. I also told him he could get sued. Later that night I get a call from the PTA president asking me why I was buying used from the vendor. I had to explain I wasn't and I explained how he was selling cheap.

I confronted the vendor and asked why he told the PTA president that and he denied he said it. I told him that unless he had proof of him doing that don't be lying on me like that. I then asked why he thought he was selling used items. He said he couldn't get them cheaper from a magizine called computer shopper that sold stuff. I told him that the other vendor was going directly to the same importers as the people selling the stuff in the mags were. I also told him that he was paying cash so he could get it cheaper.

So after all these vendors doing this crap I quit bidding them out and went to the state bid system. So because our vendors who bid locally showed out they lost to the state bids. The state bids were bids that were put out for stuff that any county could buy directly on. So I understand about these people like the "stuck in traffic" guy.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:27 pm

I was just a small business with low overhead. The bids were from either the city or state. Most of them were school or church systems. I bid low and always did really good work. I also belonged to both the electrical union and the stagehand union. It got to the point where I was given a lot of work and didn't have to bid at all.
I really loved doing installations and I miss it. Maybe not the crawling across asbestos insulation ceiling part so much, but turning it on for the customer the first time always made me feel good.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryRabbitt on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 am

It's not getting your item for a dollar more, they just top your bid by a dollar. They could have put $1000 as their max, and your max was $200.
The item went for $201 because your proxy amount ran out. The increment was a dollar, so they won by the dollar. Although they could have gone higher.

I never used the Snipe programs, I always made one or two max bids in the last minute of the auction. After 2 bids and I am still outbid, I can either stop or 'try' to enter a winning bid. Part of the excitement I guess.
GaryRabbitt
GaryRabbitt

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:28 pm

The bid from the snipe is ALWAYS a dollar more. That's how it works. I lost another item last night. The high bid at the end, the very end- was $11.50. My bid was $27.85, which I figured would be much higher than that. If I'd have know I would be outbid I was ready to go $50 but it was too late to enter another bid. The last second bid was $28.85. That's how I always know that I'd been sniped. I use odd amounts. An example might be $10.37. The final 2 second bid is $11.37. That can't be coincidence.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by rdusel on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:38 pm

The system always makes the proxy bid one increment higher than yours.
If yours is 27.85 and the increment is $1 then $28.85. It won't go a penny over the minimum increment bid so you won't see it end at $29.
When this happens I always console myself by saying that there was someone who wanted it more than me (or has deeper pockets than me) and it probably didn't matter if my bid was one dollar, 10 dollars or 100 dollars more the other bidders' max could still have been higher.
Sometimes it's just fate..

rdusel

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2013-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:48 pm

I hate to go to auctions and I don't do Ebay! Once in awhile I will get a deal at a local auction, but most of the time people loose their minds and become obsessed with winning and don't know when to STOP!

Back to top Go down

Post by rdusel on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:51 pm

I agree that Ebay is going downhill in terms of the value for price and the numerous "traps" you have to watch out for but it still has the largest product base to choose from.
If there was another good venue (especially where sellers know how to pack radios lol) I'd be there but none that I have found so far.

rdusel

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:05 pm

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE both eBay and PayPal. If I had seen the maximum bid up around $35 I would have put in bid of $49.67. Maybe I would have been outbid, maybe not. I'm surprised anybody wanted it more than I did. The case was very scratched and it didn't work. I only wanted it for the connector. That is very important to me because I'm making 4 pin connectors for sale and I currently have no way to test them.

Here's a question for those who use Snipe. Do you have to set a limit or is it open ended, in other words is it just going to keep bidding no matter what the last bid is? Suppose I had put in $100 just to make sure I would get it, would Snipe bid $101, or how about $,1,000?

MEZLAW also pointed out something that I've notice about setting a reserve price. I can't count how many times my item has gone for EXACTLY the reserve price. It's like live auctions- someone just HAS to see the reserve, and then they've bought. I know that sometimes I've used the one click bid just to see how high it is. Usually one click less than me. I'm sitting here surprised I'm the high bidder going, "Come on, it's only 50 cents- outbid me already". Oh well, I just bought an old meter, live with it.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by rdusel on Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:45 pm

When I used Snipe you set your maximum and it bid up to that amount. Bear in mind that you could set a ridiculous maximum and be liable for it..
I stopped using snipe as others said it is too easy to get caught up in the excitement and overbid. Now I just put in my maximum 15 minutes or so before the end and close the window. If I win I win..

rdusel

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:48 pm

rdusel wrote:When I used Snipe you set your maximum and it bid up to that amount. Bear in mind that you could set a ridiculous maximum and be liable for it..
I stopped using snipe as others said it is too easy to get caught up in the excitement and overbid. Now I just put in my maximum 15 minutes or so before the end and close the window. If I win I win..

That's what I figured. I guess that there are people who place ridiculous bids figuring it won't go very high, but prepared to bite the bullet if it does. I also feel that there are people who abuse it. Last night if I had seen the bids being placed then I could have used the 'one click bid' option or even placed a higher bid. Like I said, I was prepared to spend around $50 but since the bidding was less than $15 I felt confident by putting in a bid less than $30. However by the time the "You've been outbid" notice appeared it was too late to do anything. That's why I don't like Snipe. Following the bidding is one thing, and in my earlier post I mentioned that I had won an item by 50 cents using one click bid. I have no problem with that. However the sniper could have seen my maximum bid and activated the snipe program a few minutes earlier with a much higher bid. I have no defense against that. Using the snipe program may be allowed, but in some instances I consider it unethical, or at least bad manners.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by oldgoaly on Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:25 pm

I seem to be a cheap old fart... nothing like waiting til end of an auction on ebay and before you confirm the bid it says you have to bid a 100$ more than I'm planning to bid. oh well there will be more.
oldgoaly
oldgoaly

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2012-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:42 pm

I've started looking for more "Buy it Now" listings. I just got a real nice EV 623 for $49. There were several more at auction with bids higher. So be it.

A few Weeks a ago I saw a Heathkit IM-11 ACVTVM with a buy it now price of $49. The listing ended and the seller relisted it but with "Make Offer. I offered $39 and got it.
A lot of times if it says "Make "offer" and the listing has sat around awhile the seller will take a decent offer. Not $10 for a $50 item of course; but $35 or $40 might buy it.

Remember- and this was the subject of a recent thread- If you make an offer they don't have to say, "Hey, thanks a bunch". If they accept your offer, you've bought it.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2