I REALLY hate Snipe

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I REALLY hate Snipe Empty I REALLY hate Snipe

Post by terrydec on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:06 pm

If you've been out bid on eBay in the last two seconds then you're probably familiar with the Snipe program. The program was created so that someone can still bid when they are away from their computer. You put in the highest amount you are willing to pay and let the program work. Say you've entered $50 for an item you know will sell for $30. You win by one dollar over the next highest bid. If you're bid was less than the highest bid then you lose.

However it has also become an instrument of the devil.

Example- your watching the bids and when it gets down to the end and you see you you've been outbid then you can use the "one click bid option". You can do this until the last 3 seconds. You can't manually click past that. However if someone is using the Snipe program and monitoring the action they activate the program and put in a bid obviously higher than the current bidding. The program is hovering in the background and it CAN bid in the last 2 seconds. Your looking at the listing, you've obviously won, and then it flashes that in the last two seconds you were outbid.
I HATE that! Evil or Very Mad
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

I REALLY hate Snipe Empty Re: I REALLY hate Snipe

Post by 75X11 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:23 pm

I don't think too much of it myself. I usually just enter the max bid I'm comfortable with. If others want to rack it up they will do it. I've had some bid astronomically, win the auction, back out and have the seller contact me to sell to me at my level. That satisfies! Razz
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4468
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:01 pm

Yeah, but it's such a rush watching the clock count down and you're just seconds away from buying that radio, or microphone-whatever, that you've been trying to find for years. The price is right, the object is in perfect condition and your bid is much higher than the current bid. WOW! You got it! Fantastic!!
Uh, no- somebody snatched it away at the last second for a dollar more.
It can be frustrating-no heartbreaking.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by scottb on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 pm

I guess if it were me and it was a must have item, I would just put a large bid on the item. I have never used E-bay, but at auctions, just leaving the bid card in the air works. However, I still do not yell YUP

scottb

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:39 am

Sorry, but I use it and love it!
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:47 pm

I'm getting the feeling I'm not going to get much sympathy here. bounce
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:22 pm

We all sympathize with you, but we are also offering methods calculated to avoid the agony of defeat. Believe me, I know what you are talking about.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:44 pm

I don't mind losing an auction if I'm watching the bidding and can't keep up. But I do mind losing if my final bid is a LOT higher than the last bid, and then to lose it at the last second.

This auction was for a bunch of mic connectors. The high bid at the end was $8.00, mine was $23. To me there was no way I could lose, and I would have bid higher but I didn't see any reason.
I lost by a dollar.
Somebody must have REALLY wanted those connectors.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:35 pm

I can hardly stand to watch the last minute of an auction anymore. I just pad the bid, then go somewhere else on the net for a couple of minutes. I can't bear the aggravation. I can walk away from a loss relatively easily that way.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by mikehall on Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:08 pm

I seem to remember years ago that ebay tried to ban "bots" that bid automatically. I have manually "sniped" before, but if there is real active bidding I just bid what I'm willing to pay and move on. Maybe "if you can't beat em...join em". Like a lot of people if I can be at the computer at the time I won't bid at all until there is about 30 secs left. Then I accept my fate HaHa.

mikehall

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2012-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:54 pm

I don't know if they were called 'bots but at the beginning there was a problem with people bidding against themselves in order to raise the value. I remember there was a big deal with members losing their accounts and stuff.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by mikehall on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:27 pm

I saw a reference to that recently on another forum--its called "shill biding" and is strictly verboten, but I suppose its hard to prove.

edit: its most commonly done by having a friend/accomplice run up the price.

mikehall

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:42 pm

It's hard to prove but easy to do, however, it's wrong and I don't believe in it, so I won't explain how to do it!

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:31 pm

I heard several sellers got stuck when no one else made the final bid. I seem to remember that eBay posted a notice that "Scamming" would no longer be allowed and violators would lose eBay and PayPal privileges.
I don't think it was illegal but it was obviously abusing the system.
A lot of things have changed since I first joined, with both eBay and PayPal. In the beginning it was a small and unique service. It sure took off. For instance the old PayPal owner is now building space ships.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:02 pm

Most of the big ticket items I buy I get on Ebay. I will look at the buy it now sales and order them from low to high prices. I started doing that after some nutty folk would run the price up over any discount level in an open bid. It used to be relatively easy to pick out the shills when there were actual ID's for the bidders shown with their history. Usually though, that would only leave me with a screen name to get PO'd with!
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:11 pm

What I like are the obviously outrageous listings, Like $3,000 for a $500 radio, or $1,000 for a $50 microphone. Don't these sellers ever look at similar listings?
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by mikehall on Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:37 pm

I'm not real experienced with ebay, but I can remember when the only form of payment I could usually do was go to the Post Office, and get a money order LOL

mikehall

Back to top Go down

Post by mikehall on Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:52 pm

terrydec wrote:What I like are the obviously outrageous listings, Like $3,000 for a $500 radio, or $1,000 for a $50 microphone. Don't these sellers ever look at similar listings?

I've always wondered if those sellers a just hoping to find someone who is too lazy to do their homework, or what.
unless something is really rare it is pretty easy to check completed listings.

mikehall

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:30 pm

One thing that makes it like that are "eBay Stores". Not stores on eBay but places you can take your stuff and they list it and take a percentage, or take a sales fee upfront. The problem is that the person who wants something sold dictates the price. To them grandma's quilt MUST be worth $2,000, when in reality it's probably worth $20, if that, and the store gets a fee whether or not it sells.
Also a lot of these stores aren't reputable. They might sell an item for $100 and doctor the books so it looks like your item sold for $50, and they pocket the extra. How does the seller know any different. If they could figure out how eBay works they wouldn't need the store in the first place.
And then some are just plain ripoffs. They take your stuff and a fee then move to another location. Chances are your stuff winds up in a pawnshop.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:08 am

I used to be a nice guy....no more nice guy. Long ago early into my eBay buying I REALLY wanted this Emerson Vanguard transistor radio. I was high bidder until the last few seconds.....after that, no more mr. Nice guy. With high speed Internet and later high speed smart phone, now I'm mr. Sniper.....
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:28 am

Dr. Radio wrote:I used to be a nice guy....no more nice guy. Long ago early into my eBay buying I REALLY wanted this Emerson Vanguard transistor radio. I was high bidder until the last few seconds.....after that, no more mr. Nice guy. With high speed Internet and later high speed smart phone, now I'm mr. Sniper.....

And I'm the bidder you see in the cross hairs Cool
(Just messin' with ya) Razz

I actually had the snipe program, (which I bought on eBay of course), and won a microphone while I was on vacation. I didn't even know 'til I got home.
Of course this thread is mostly me venting my frustration. My psychiatrist says it's better than my original plan. Twisted Evil
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:50 am

There is something that I have wondered-
I always put a limit on how high my snipe bid would go. Can you just set it with no upper limit? In other words what if two snipe programs with no limits were bidding against each other in the final two seconds. Which one would win? Or would it just burn a hole in the computer screen?

Or worse- Would it make us realize that all of this is an illusion, nothing is real, and in the end only the dim glow of a rectifier tube in the darkness makes any sense. tongue
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:19 am

I have rarely used ebay. I really don't like it with all the charges and more charges. I look sometimes but when people place a radio for 500 that is a particle board cabinet from the 70s because they saw a picker show say radios were mid century or the latest byword to add value I have no interest in bidding. I have even had times that I would offer a little more than the real value just to help them out and then they chew me out because they think I am a crook. So any more I don't even try to buy a lot of times.

I really don't look anymore. I have one guy who is into tube amps of the 60s who finds tube radios for me. I trade the work I do for the radios. It works out good for both of us. He gets his stuff fixed and I get a radio at a decent price. Another way I get radio stuff is at radio meets. The people there I deal with are down to earth and sale at a fair price. There is one guy I alway cut up with there and ask where my basket case. He usually has one old radio I get that is junk .

The last item I got intentionally was my sign. I had been looking for probably over a year. I had posted I was looking for one and he contacted me. I really do not look for radios anymore. I have hundreds of them awaiting to be fixed. If I fixed 2 or three a month I would probably be still fixing them when I retire. I still find radios I didn't know I have. The thing I am into is advertising items and things used in shops. I have gotten into RCA items now. I have picked up quite a few items in the last year or so of RCA.

I think if I do start going to ebay it would be mostly for parts or buy it now items that are priced decent. I do need a philco dial cover I need now that is on ebay but I think I will wait to see if some of the vendors has one at the next meet. I can wait to I find it in person. I have one radio I have had for well over 25 years I am looking for a chassis for. But half the fun is in the hunt.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:12 pm

Do a Google search for your dial. Several places provide them. I got a 'new' dial for my RCA T8-18 but don't remember where.
Here is a link to a video if you're interested to see how it turned out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7j11ZtKO6o&list=HL1339345153&feature=mh_lolz

I recently, and sort of accidentally, got into the business of making vintage microphone cables for Shure and EV microphones. I found the parts on eBay and put together a couple. Since then I have found a cable supplier, a 4 pin connector supplier and a place to buy XLR connectors. I make a 20' cable that costs me $13 to make and sells for $35. This price is less than anyone else and I've sold every one I've made. I just made up 10 and none of this would have happened with out eBay. Personally I love it, and PayPal too.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Stan Ski on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:42 pm

Terry, I agree with you. To me they should not be allowed. It takes the fun out it being a "real auction" . At a real auction you bid what you want till the auctioneer stops it. Another words $100.00 going once, going twice and that is the way it should be. Have been to some live auctions and they are taking bids by phone and over the Internet. It sucks! Give me the good ole days with a pot belly stove. I really did go to this type with my Dad
Stan Ski

Stan Ski

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next