Downsizing

Go down

Downsizing Empty Downsizing

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:32 pm

My wife and I are talking about my downsizing and liquidating some of my "hoard." I have several thousand (30+ to be exact) tubes, a couple hundred radios, tape recorders, record players, stereos, tv's, etc. Nothing rare, desirable, or valuable. Mostly AA5's, clock radios and consoles. Exactly what nobody wants. The most desirable thing I own is my Coca-Cola radio, the 1949 model. I want to start with tv tubes and parts, go to tv's, then radio parts, then radios. My goal is to be totally divested of my electronics collecting hobby in two years.

Why, you ask. Well, to be frightfully honest, the fun is gone. The purists and speculators have finally ruined this hobby for me, just like they did for cars. The purists turn their noses up at the things I like, and the speculators have driven up prices to rediculous levels. I like to buy a pickup load of old dog radios for $3 and those days are gone. Parts are getting too rich for my blood as well. I have used most of the parts that I have accumulated, and don't want to "pay the freight" for replacements. And, I am not as young as I used to be. Age and physical limitations are getting on my nerves. I have no heirs that are interested in my stuff, so when I am gone, the stuff will likely end up in the landfill. Or worse, on Ebay. The new people entering this hobby tend to want I-pod docks and such nonsense, which thoroughly annoys me. My time has come and gone.

What I would like is advice on how to proceed. I would like to avoid ebay and Craigslist. I would like to avoid Paypal. I want one on one dealing with a potential purchaser. I would like the stuff that has brought me so much pleasure for forty years to go to someone who could appreciate it. I really feel that 80% of this stuff will end up either recycled or in the landfill, just due to what it is, if for no other reason. I want a minimum of drama, or I will just rent a dumpster and start pitching. I am not terribly computer savvy, so fancy representations and pictures are out of the question. I could probably get help in this regard.

I plan on keeping key items, such as my grandma's Grunow 1191 and my Emerson 522, that I have had since I was 5. Most of the rest has to go. I will take any suggestions offered with gratitude, and, combined with what I want to accomplish I hope that this can be done reasonably and successfully. Thank you all for your input.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Downsizing Empty Re: Downsizing

Post by N7ZAL on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:57 pm

Might want to consider local Hamfests...QST publishes them and of course you can search online. Not sure about flea markets though.
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 493
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:54 pm

Don't know if there are any places that rents spaces to display ones' wares. Over here they have such places that offer antiques. you display them in a space and there is a manager that collects the funds and contacts sellers with questions, etc. The only thing is you may have enough material to saturate your own local market.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:07 pm

We have also talked about having an auction. Sell what we can at auction, sell some on-line, then worry about the rest when the time comes. There is no local market for this stuff. You can't give it away. The local antique stores want more than I can pay to rent a booth. Thrift stores don't want it, so even donating it to a good cause is not gonna work. Thanks for your input. The answer is out there. I would prefer selling to a collector, rather than a flipper.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:30 pm

Wildcat, I know where your at. My age is getting on there and my brain is going bonkers. I have very few radios in my house, maybe 15, but the ones I like. Not certain I want any more but if I find something that I like more than what I have, I will buy it and then move the replacement off to a friend that might like it. Never sold a radio. You are somewhat local to me. If you have any 30s Philco consoles let me know. I may have enough brain to do one more and the replacement will go to a nice old lady who I bought it from and now would like it back.
Take care, we all get older and things get harder to fix (for me). Still a great hobby and the wife indicates that when I go what is she going to do with all the radios? Well if she goes first, what am I going to do with all the sewing machines? Life is great and take care.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 702
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:52 pm

Talk to some auctioneers, They will give you a good idea of what they can do for you (and thusly themselves) as they need to know the market to be worth anything in their business.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:24 am

Could you get with a local radio meet and sell there? If not let them know you are planning to sale the items. About 20 years ago I got burned out as well. I pushed all the items in a corner and closed shop due to having to deal with flippers . I almost sold out but the guy never came, he wanted to cherry pick the stuff and I wanted to sell in one lot. I am glad I didn't as over the last couple of years I have gotten back into them.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:09 am

On our telephone forums we offer items to each other for the cost of shipping. I have gotten rid of a lot of old phone equipment for just the cost of shipping and I know it went to someone who could use it.

Last edited by MEZLAW on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:31 pm

Jerry, all my stuff is in Missouri. Only a couple of my favorites are here.

Guys, I don't want to leave the wrong impression. I am not dying, or seriously ill, or ready to blow my brains out. My collection has gotten too large for me to handle. And, like I said earlier, I have gotten aggravated at certain events and individuals and have decided that the fun is not a great as it used to be. My car show buddy, my wife, is not able to enjoy that anymore and I miss those days. I have collected a bunch of stuff nobody else wants but me, and now its coming back to haunt me. Like was mentioned before, potential buyers, especially for tubes, want to cherry pick and I want to sell the lot. So I may just keep and enjoy it as best I can and let is be somebody else's problem when I am gone. I need to quit worrying about something not working like I want, or dust somewhere. Learn to chill. My dislike/distrust of social media is a noose around my neck when I am trying to sell something. I realize that fact.

It is a comfort to know that I am not alone, and that we all are going to face this dilemna eventually.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:27 pm

I have seen the same thing as you with cars. I'm a vendor at Spring Carlisle and the All Ford Nationals at Carlisle and you're right the fun is gone. Too many hucksters who are there to make money on the emotions of people who love cars. It was a nice hobby at one time and you got to meet nice people who became a friend and were honest. These quick buck artists have no honesty left in them.

So I may just keep and enjoy it as best I can and let is be somebody else's problem when I am gone.

That's what I would do! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:30 pm

One thing you might do is to find some "newbie" into old tube radios who might want some of it. When I was younger quite a few of the old TV repairmen took me under their wings and I bought a lot of their old stuff. It worked out good for the both of us. I got a lot of stuff to work on and they got rid of a lot of stuff they no longer wanted.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Delk on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:45 pm

Wildcat I know someone who may be interested in the tubes. I'll email him and see if he is interested and get back to you.

Ben
Ben Delk
Ben Delk

Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2012-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:55 pm

I'm sure he could find someone who would want some of it, but he wants to sell the lot and have one transaction. For what it's worth (and I'm not judging anyone) that will be a difficult task. The collection covers a broad spectrum of the hobby. I think most of us have certain areas of collecting that we concentrate on.
As an example; I like tube radios before the printed circuit boards and have no interest in televisions and some interest in tube phonographs. So I would be one of those people who would want to "cherry pick" some of the items. I wouldn't even want all the tubes, just the ones for radios! I know that can be very aggravating, which is why I think keeping everything and enjoying it would be best! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:45 pm

One way to make the sale of a tube lot more palatable to more folks would to divide up the large lot into 2 or 3 smaller lots. You would have a better chance of a better price and the buyer could reduce their exposure. The quick buck artists will always be with us, They come and go. They don't like the hobby, they never did, they can tolerate it and thats it. Their hobby is collecting pictures of dead presidents, whatever form that takes.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:52 pm

75X11 wrote:One way to make the sale of a tube lot more palatable to more folks would to divide up the large lot into 2 or 3 smaller lots. You would have a better chance of a better price and the buyer could reduce their exposure. The quick buck artists will always be with us, They come and go. They don't like the hobby, they never did, they can tolerate it and thats it. Their hobby is collecting pictures of dead presidents, whatever form that takes.

Very well put! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Delk on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:59 am

Wildcat....contact Gene Kidd, He is interested in your tubes. Not sure if you have ever used him to purchase tubes but he stocks many tube, good prices, great service, nice guy. Here's is email.

gandc2@suddenlink.net

Have great day,
Ben
Ben Delk
Ben Delk

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:31 pm

Done. Thanks, Ben

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:34 pm

When ''stuff'' has this much of an effect on you , its time to just get rid of all the extra down to where you can enjoy things . Give or throw it away .

Ken g

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Delk on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:19 pm

WC......You are so welcome? How long you planning to stay in Arizona? Thru Spring?
Ben Delk
Ben Delk

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:26 pm

Until next week. They got a foot of snow back home yesterday. Goody. I am looking forward to leaving temps in the 80's to go back to snow. Gotta be home by the 7th.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum