Sacrilege.

Go down

Sacrilege. Empty Sacrilege.

Post by NashvilleRad on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:52 am

Yes ... I am contemplating what I consider sacrilege: A friend of mine that happens to own an AA5 set asked if there was a way to add (meaning get me to do it) a 1/8" iPod jack.

Notes:

* I've seen this on the internet, but don't think the people making this 'mod' knew what they were doing (at least the web pages I saw) - I consider this putting the set in a condition that it doesn't normally operate in.

* Keep friends (and family) out of the work space - let them get their own hobby.

NashvilleRad

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2012-01-05

Back to top Go down

Sacrilege. Empty Re: Sacrilege.

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:21 pm

Since I don't have a dog in the hunt here, this is just my opinion, and your results may vary, yada, yada....

An AA5 has a chassis with one side of the chassis connected to the power line. Methinks that perhaps a hum in the audio, or, worse yet, the user could get zapped using an I-pod on an AA5 chassis. Maybe if people get zapped enough, they will cease trying to modify old radios to accept I-pods. The most likely event would be that old radios will be banned because they are unsafe when used with an I-pod. The only I-pod docks that I would consider safe (but still silly) would be on a chassis with a power transformer to isolate the line.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:51 pm

This is quite possible (shhhh, don't tell your friend ), and do it in a safe manner.

Another restorer quite local to me came up with a circuit that not only combines the stereo output of MP3 players, but provides 100% electrical isolation from the hot chassis. It was posted on the other forum in late 2011. It utilizes two Radio Shack miniature audio transformers wired in a specific way.

But........WE NEED A LOT MORE INFO FROM YOU.

Does this AA5 already have a "phono" input jack?
What are the expectations of the owner? Are the willing for you to drill into the back of the unit for said jack and controls if need be?
Are they aware of possible inherited dangers AA5s can have even used in 100% factory manner?
How simple or complex are they willing to go? Some want to stick in a 1/8" plug in and be done, others don't mind flipping a switch to kill the detector output so there is no radio bleed over in the audio....

We need a make/model to advise.....
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Burskey on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:32 pm

I agree I would not try to install an audio input jack on a AA5 power transformerless radio. There are better sounding tube amps with a power transformer.

Doug Burskey

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by NashvilleRad on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:05 pm

I'd have to check the set, but I think it's (another) Sonora.

But, I think I have confirmed with feedback from all ... the answer I knew already. Nope.

Thanks all! Smile

NashvilleRad

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2012-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum