Windows 7 question

Go down

Windows 7 question Empty Windows 7 question

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:42 pm

I am considering updating to windows 7,(currently running XP Pro) as my hard drive is on the fritz.. i cant double click icons on the desk top or update any program and have all sorts of crazy errors on my current hard drive.. My question is once i change my HDD can i install windows 7 and not activate it? I ask this because my buddy has a legit copy of windows 7 he will let me use but he does not have a COA any longer. I read different stuff about this but i do not know what to believe and what not to believe on all the different sites out there. Also what are the chances of being able to call a windows CSR and getting a one time use COA from them? I only ask that bc i done it a few years back with XP when a COA wouldnt work.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 651
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Windows 7 question Empty Re: Windows 7 question

Post by simplex1040 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:43 pm

You won't be able to install it without a license key to type in. If you had one installed 7 and did not activate it deactivates in 30 days. 7 also may not run on your xp machine(even with fixed HDD) your hardware may not be up to snuff to allow it to run.
Microsoft will not activate for missing COA they smell fraud.
simplex1040
simplex1040

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:05 am

Ok, that is what i needed to know.. I did the upgrade advisor along time ago and it meets the specs needed for 7. It has a 3GHZ hyper thread CPU 2GB of DD2 PC5200 RAM and will have a 500GB HDD. Sometime i plan to change the CPU to a 2.8 GHZ Dual Core and the RAM to PC5300. I figured they wouldnt, but i still had to ask.. If i cant get 7, my next choice would be Vista home premium 64 bit (my cpu is 64 bit compatible) as i can get a COA for that, but have to get a disc. A local computer shop will run off copies of older OS's for a small fee with no COA's.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 651
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:58 am

I ask this because my buddy has a legit copy of windows 7 he will let me use but he does not have a COA any longer.

If WIN7 came with a computer Microsoft will not activate it for another computer. If you purchace an install copy you can install it on any computer, but ONLY ONE COMPUTER legally. Microsoft states; The licence dies when the computer dies if it is a version which came with the PC. I would go to NewEgg and but an install copy of WIN7. There are about 5 versions and I would get at a minimum the PRO version, it allows you to run in the XP mode if necessary. Also, make sure which version you are using now 32bit or 64 bit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down