"Mr. Fixit" strikes again

Go down

"Mr. Fixit" strikes again Empty "Mr. Fixit" strikes again

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:07 pm

I have the dubious honor of being known as "Mr. Goodwrench" on almost anything. Only three things do I never mess with: 2 cycle engines, church organs and guitar amps. Everything else is fair game.

A friend bought a pole lamp at an antique store. Could I fix it? he asks. Sure says I. Not the smartest statement I ever made.

I had to replace all the sockets (4) all the switches (2) and the wiring. Most pole lamps you just take the socket off, and rewire it. Not this one. It has to come COMPLETELY apart. The pole was four pieces. They put plastic sleeves in the end of each part to keep the wire from rubbing. I used #18 wire, which was all HD had. All those plastic sleeves had to be modified so the wire would pass thru. My friend wanted the three way switch replaced with a single way so he could use CFL's in it. It had been wired with clear speaker wire and it was all knotted up and had to be cut out in small chunks.

I got it done, but I exercised all my best words. Now there are four things I will never mess with: 2 cycle engines, church organs, guitar amps, and fancy stupid-lookin' pole lamps. Life is just too short.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

"Mr. Fixit" strikes again Empty Re: "Mr. Fixit" strikes again

Post by terrydec on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:32 pm

Aw come on- sounds like fun. Evil or Very Mad
I never mess with Appliances, computers or TV's.

My best thing is redoing tube guitar amps. Replacing filters, coupling caps, checking tubes and bias-that sort of thing.
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1124
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:09 pm

It is not necessarily the guitar amps, per se, that I have a problem with. It is the owners of same. They tend to be the type of folks that I have little patience for. I have a sad story to tell about this subject, but will do everybody a favor and keep it to myself.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:37 pm

Jobs like that usually require BIG favors in return. Or multiple small favors, one for each CFL.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:58 pm

Yeah, well, maybe so. But, judging from past experience, that is highly unlikely. Did you ever hear the old addage "No good deed goes unpunished?"

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:07 am

I seem to play that one out each week at work. Very Happy
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:30 am

When I had my business I worked on two things that NO body would touch. Lamps, just like you're taking about, and toys. You think a lamp is hard to work on, try model train engines or any fuzzy toy that talks.
I used to have secret thoughts about reprogramming them to say, "Mommy hates you", "School is for losers", If you want something scream until you get it". Stuff like that. Twisted Evil
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1124
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by ve1arn on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:41 am

terrydec wrote:When I had my business I worked on two things that NO body would touch. Lamps, just like you're taking about, and toys. You think a lamp is hard to work on, try model train engines or any fuzzy toy that talks.
I used to have secret thoughts about reprogramming them to say, "Mommy hates you", "School is for losers", If you want something scream until you get it". Stuff like that. Twisted Evil

LUV it! Razz
ve1arn
ve1arn

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum