Post by Resistance is Futile on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:38 pm

I will mark this as solved, another radio revived. cheers
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 989
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Re: [solved] Crosley Model 10-135

Post by addase on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:20 am

Thanks for everyone's help and patience with this newbe. Crosley radio is working strong, thanks again.

addase

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2013-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by NashvilleRad on Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:26 pm

Glad you found the problem. Sometimes you have to keep repeating the process - it's like proofreading your own paper - you will typically miss your own error each time.

Following up on some of the comments above and keeping up with the flow of troubleshooting as noted, the one thing I do first (and this has been mentioned in other threads) is make a chart of the tube pin voltages and compare those to the SAMS voltage tables - this can usually (not all the time) help narrow the problem down to a particular 'block' (audio, IF, etc.) or at least between two specific blocks based on the tube.

One document I have always thought useful was the succint, and to the point (meaning not hundreds of pages to read and decipher) is the Philco "Trouble Shooting Techniques" from 1952.

It too uses the block approach ("Localize Isolate Locate") and is good for any similar type radio - not just Philcos.

Last edited by NashvilleRad on Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

NashvilleRad

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2012-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryRabbitt on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:01 am

Here is the Philco Troubleshooting book in PDF form from Chuck's site:
http://www.philcorepairbench.com/pdf/troubleshooting%20techniques.pdf
GaryRabbitt

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by neali on Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:24 pm

addase wrote:thanks for the help I will follow up, but I do want to mention that with the radio on I only see the 50C5 , 35W4 and the 12BA6 lit and the other two are not. I even pulled out one at a time the 12BE6 and then the 12AV6 and the other 3 tubes remained glowing so I am sure that the two tubes just mentioned are not getting any AC power and the other 3 are using up all 120v and I assume that is why both 50C5 and 35W4 are very hot to touch or maybe that is normal to be that hot, anyways the two tubes are not getting AC. I will try and replacing those tubes but I don't think it will make a difference.  

You had a short in your filament string if you could pull two of the tubes and the other three still had glowing filaments. Either on the exit of the third tube or the entranceof the fourth. Poking around cured it aka disturbed the short but it may return. Unusual that a short completes the circuit. Also explains why your three tubes that remained lit with the two 12V pulled got very hot. They had 40% too high voltage on the filaments which is 100% more power than they are rated for. I am always amazed at how tough this tube stuff is.

Keep an eye on it. These magically resolved problems have a way of returning.

neali

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top