Sig. Gen.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sig. Gen.

Post by pawpawhunt on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:10 pm

I have a Eico 315 and a lafiette 208 and would like to get one of them callabrated. If anybody knows of someone that can do this please let me know . TKS

pawpawhunt

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2011-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Sig. Gen.

Post by willy3486 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:12 pm

There is a construction manual for the Eico I think at
http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/eico/315/
I wonder if it has a how to on calibation at it?

One thing about calibrating generators like AM and FM could a person tune in a am station then connect a generator to it and calibrate it that way? The generatiors I have haven't needed calibration for the most part. But my main leader radio test box just died big time so I think I will be looking for one locally so I may have to calibrate it.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by pawpawhunt on Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:39 am

I didnt think about that , but it sounds like a plan! tks for the info. I found a nice Hallicrafters SX 100 and it needs realigning. replaced 4 tubes and it works except the main dial is off, NO HUM! IE the reason for the sig gen info!

pawpawhunt

Back to top Go down

Post by sprman on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:49 am

Hi you could use AM and WWV to check dial readout on the gen, to find how far off it is.On FM you would need a Radio scanner or a FM reciever with digital readout to check dial. A good SW digital readout radio can help you check it !Sprman

sprman

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by pawpawhunt on Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:41 pm

Thanks for the info Willy. Got my Eico all tuned up and my SX-100 is in tune and sounds good. Sprman, I did that but I dont need the high frqs above 30 mhz.

pawpawhunt

Back to top Go down

Post by sprman on Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:26 pm

Well i used my JRC NRD-535D to cal my sig gen on the low freqs.Not easy and takes time plus you need to have everything good and warm (1 hour) warmup.Sprman

sprman

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:20 pm

Any look up of shortwave/broadcast stations should give their frequency. Just use them as a reference.
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 501
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Burskey on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:28 am

WWV atomic clock time standard at 2.5,5.0,10.0 and 15.0 mhz.Of corse you can't recive all these any time of day.Or better still I use a modern world band radio with digital readout.

Doug Burskey

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:30 pm

What you can do also to see if the generator is on spot is tune in a radio station, Broadcast Band and tune to a known frequency and then tune your generator to about 1/4 strength. and to the same frequency, what this does is set up a heterodyning squeal. Adjust the generator knob from a high pitch squeal though the radio speaker to a very low squeal, then as you get the frequency close to radio station frequency, it will get to the point that either you hear no beat frequency or a barely detectable audio squeal. Look at your generator dial and note the deviancy. You can then go into the generator and either adjust the padder caps or coils to bring it in alignment. BUT you better know what your doing or you could make the generator into a worthless shelf decoration. If the generator overrides the radio station to where you cannot hear the station, then move the generator or radio some measurement further away (to decrease the signal strength.) Change bands and do the same thing. Most adjustments should be in the center frequency of each band.

Just remember that most older generators were not Lab Standards and were analog dials, so some inaccuracy HAS TO BE EXPECTED.
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by sprman on Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:40 pm

I agree with the Admin.Ido same as he says.There was a kit out there to add digital readout on your sig gen.Ihave never tryed that.Sprman

sprman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum