Any furnace guys here???

Go down

Any furnace guys here??? Empty Any furnace guys here???

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:20 am

I was wandering if there were any furnace guys here, or anyone that is knowledgeable in furnaces?
I ask bc ive been having noting but problem after problem with my furnace since ive lived in this house.. The landlord keeps fixing it but it seems like every time he fixes one thing something else goes wrong.. Its an older RUUD 90% efficiency condensing furnace, i think from the mid 90's. Just in the past year the blower motor has been replaced and the igniter has been replaced and i replaced the thermostat with a nice basic digital one bc the furnace never seemed like it was running properly. It runs for about 10-20 minutes then shuts off before it reaches the set temp, and it does the same thing no matter what it is set at regardless of the temp outside.. Then it may not cycle back on for anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour. Most of the time i force it on and off by turning the thermostat off and on. It was just looked at by a furnace guy the other day bc it wouldnt power on due to someone putting too large of wire nut on the main 120 volt hot wire, and it apparently overheated and melted the wire nut.. so he fixes that and notices it wasnt cycling properly and he did all sorts of test, including checking the amount of pressure on the pressure switch which was the proper amount and couldnt figure it out so he had to let it go.
Now today i get up at 5 am and hear the furnace kick on and feel its blowing cold, so i go down and look at it and figured out it wasnt lighting again.. and like i said this igniter isnt but maybe 2 months old. So i did a few of my own basic test to try to figure something out. I first check the voltage at the igniter- i get 116VAC(my line voltage is usually around 121) when it kicks on, i then reset the furnace and check the current draw, i get 4 amps, then check the resistance- i get 60 ohms and then it slowly drifts up to 62 ohms and would keep going if i kept the meter on it. Then check the voltage on both sides of the pressure switch and get 31 volts on both sides, but it was a negative voltage and i had the meter leads proper. The furnace is a 24 volt system. I loose all voltages when the igniter kicks off, which it kicks off after about 20 seconds. Anyone have any freaking idea whats up with this crazy furnace??
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Any furnace guys here??? Empty Re: Any furnace guys here???

Post by willy3486 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:11 am

Sounds like time for a new one. Anymore they are like everything else, don't last long. We built our house in the late 90s ourselves so we could pay it off. Landlords only care if the amount coming in is more than what is going out. So you wind up with landlords who patch things up instead of fixing them properly. We just had to replace our main unit in Jan. It got to where it would only blow out cold air ,no heat. The issue was the heat exchangers were rusted out. The cost of replacement was about 1500 or 3000 for a new unit. So we went with the new one. I am hoping the upstairs lasts for a couple of years.

If your heater is not igniting check out the heat exchanger tubes if it is gas. That was our issue. But if it wasn't my house I wouldn't due to much to it. One reason its like paying on your rent twice. The other is you set yourself up for a liability to be sued from the owner and have to pay for the entire unit to be replaced because you "monkeyed with it and destroyed it". You can look at it and know what you are doing but I have seem landlords do crap like this. Thats why I don't rent. Yeah its a lot to own a house but its yours and you can get the money back out of it.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:16 am

Has the fuel filter been changed?
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 493
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by scottb on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:35 am

Get a carbon monoxide detector and fast. My parents had the same furnace and the heat exchanger was bad. They did not use stainless steel on the exchangers and the high humidity from efficiency rusted them out

scottb

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:32 pm

Its natural gas, no fuel filter to change.
I dont doubt that the heat exchanger went bad bc them furnaces were junk since they came out. However i'm pretty certain the pressure switch is intermittent and was causing it not to turn on. I say that bc my landlord came and tapped on it a few times and it lit and stayed lit. Ive been eyeballing that damn pressure switch for 2 years now, but every furnace guy said it was good, so i took there word for it.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:53 pm

That is why you have a landlord. Get him on the horn and demand that he repair the furnace properly. Or be prepared to move. In most jurisdictions, basic services, like heat and running water, are a matter of the law. Landlords are like any other businessman. They are in that business to make a profit. But the landlord should be savvy enough to realize that if you get sick, or worse, from carbon monoxide poisoning, and a faulty furnace is to blame, ( and ESPECIALLY one with known problems) that he may be looking at more expense than a new furnace. This is the landlord's problem, not yours. Your total involvement in this should be monitoring carbon monoxide and placing a phone call to the landlord demanding action.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:31 pm

Oil furnaces usually get gummed up and propane gas furnaces usually end up with rust due to moisture in the fuel. I would imagine natural gas would also have a moisture problem. I spent $1,100 on my propane fired furnace last October getting it ready for this winter. It's a 90-PLUS Rheem from the late 90's and it's still a good furnace. When they get that old you can't just repair them you have to rebuild or replace them.

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:35 pm

I always call my landlord when there is a furnace problem, and he always comes within an hour. Then he has a repair company on there way to either meet him here or be there shortly after he gets here.
Natural gas furnaces dont have moisture issues unless they are condensing furnaces like this one is. This one is a RUUD delux 90 plus, probably similar to the Rheem. Most parts for my furnace were discontinued less then 5 years after they were made. You can only get a few different parts for it now days. I much much rather have an older furnace with a manual pilot and huge burner.. There's not a whole lot that can fail on them and they last forever. The last place i lived had an old one like that and all it ever needed was a thermo couple replaced and re-lit a few times. It only went out when strong wind gust would shoot down the chimney on super windy days.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by scottb on Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:11 pm

Please get a working CO detector!!!!!

scottb

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum