Magnavox 9308 amp rebuild

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Magnavox 9308 amp rebuild

Post by willy3486 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:32 am

I just got done rebuilding a amp for a buddy. I don't usually like to chop up a radio but he finds these with cases shot and wants me to redo them. He brought me two amps, one was this and the other was a sears. I figured the sears would be the nicer one but it had a bad transformer. This one I was able to get it rebuilt this afternoon. I also added a volume control and it worked out good so far. I also cleaned the unit as well. Here is a picture of it looking into it from the front.

Here is a shot looking down on it. You can see the Neon light on the left I added.

Here is a link to a video of the amp. Its not the best as I recored it with a older camera. The clicking you hear when the volume is down is the cap of the camera hitting the side of it. I was well pleased with the volume control and how it handles the volume.

It was a decent afternoon project. He brought me a couple of old smaller cases,a old record player,tape player and a Philco 70 cathederal radio. The cabinet is in bad shape but maybe I can salvage it. If so it will make it worthwhile, he will have at least one amp and I will have the philco.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Magnavox 9308 amp rebuild

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:41 am

Nice polishing job. Looks like new......
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4538
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:27 am

Thanks Bill. I thought I would polish it up for the guy. It took about 10 minutes but worth it. If I ever find one of these old consoles that the cabinet or radio part is shot I will have to salvage one. The guy is into the hifi stuff and has found me some decent junk to trade in on the repairs. The last ones I looked at he traded me a old Atwater Kent chassis in almost perfect shape. I made back the money for the parts on that one though. I was happy as I didn't have one that old. Around here what you find old is usually 30s and above. I plan on making a tabletop case for it.

I figure the tape player,record player, radio with parts missing,part of a organ, old case, and the Philco 70 to me is worth probably the cost of the repair and parts I got will make this a "freebee" . But thats fine because I had wanted a old cathederal. Its in bad shape but all there mostly. It lookes to be hit slightly in the front and parts of hte wooden grill is missing. I can fix it though. I like the basket cases, you can see the extreme from bad to good. I am not a advocate for gutting radios out is they are in decent shape. Its like finding a mint original Model T and then guting it to make a hot rod. But if the thing is trash and you can save some thats great. It like finding a T bucket and building something from what little parts you find.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by repairtech on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:39 pm

Of course you addressed the missing balance/feedback issue common with those 93 series chassis, right?
You know, the 390 ohm resistor "fix"?

repairtech

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2010-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:42 pm

repairtech wrote:Of course you addressed the missing balance/feedback issue common with those 93 series chassis, right?
You know, the 390 ohm resistor "fix"?

No I don't know about it. Is there info out there on it I can read?

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:37 pm

Looks great, what did you polish it with?

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:03 pm

Mezlaw I cleaned it with a real fine steel wool. But I then blew it out with air to get all the wool pieces out. after it was clean that way I then used a product you can get at walmart called siver wadding compound. Its in a can and it is a cotton looking stuff thats brown but it has the cleaner in it. I think it the same stuff they sale at auto parts place to clean aluminum by meguiers. I polish it with that and them buffed it out with a rag. It really cleans aluminum that way. If you need to clean aluminum and can spray it down like a piece of trim oven cleaner really works good. Just wash it off good.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by sprman on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:45 am

That looks great ... Sprman

sprman

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:52 am

Here is a link to a descripton of the resistor fix for the amp .
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=103122

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top