Sweetest sound

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sweetest sound

Post by DancingBear on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:36 pm

Over the last year I've been trying to re-educating myself on the radio restoration. It's been difficult with some of my health issues but I'm so happy that I kept going.

The first radio to hit my bench was a Zenith S547 chassis housed in a gorgeous tombstone case. When I first looked at it I figured a month or two to replace four or five caps. I wound up replacing six tube sockets and almost every cap along with 80% of the resistors. It wasn't always easy and I've been on ikt almost nine months.

Yesterday was the day I would finally bring the variac up to red-line and see what flew. I ended up having a polarity/ground hassle with a filter cap but after that I was greeted with the wonderful sound of audio presence followed by static.

Couldn't have been a nicer day. It's not done but having it work without smoke or squeals is a big thing for me right now.

TonyM
DancingBear

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2013-01-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Sweetest sound

Post by fixinmyphono on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:46 pm

Good deal!! It's a great hobby and very satisfying when they make their First sounds in Years... Smile
fixinmyphono

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2011-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:46 pm

It's truly a wonderful experience when the first sound comes out. I love it.
Congrats: Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryRabbitt on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:02 am

It's nice that you have your set playing, and hope your health has got better Smile
. Dancing Bear, it is obvious that you have taken your time on the set, which is great. We are not in a race in the hobby.While there might have been a slight issue. Normal thing to happen.
I can understand the joy of having it work. been there many times.

Not picking on you or anyone, just going to throw this thought out into the world.
One thing that an instructor once told us, is that there should be no need in saying "I hope it works" , or "let's fire it up and hope nothing blows out". That he said shows lack of confidence in one's work. His words not mine.
Sure, things can happen, but if you know you've done the job right, the statement will be " when we power this up, it will play ". The instructor was our auto tech guy. He would hate it when a guy finished rebuilding an engine (not motor) and the guy would say "I hope it runs". Why woulndn't it, if you have done everything right?
This thought can be used in most everything we do.
But I do understand the fear of something not working. I learned to have confidence and say it will work.
Just talking out loud Smile

Take care.
GaryRabbitt

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:26 am

Yes. I can connect with that. For years, some people were telling me you'll never be able to repair things. You're blind. I got to believe it, and, had no faith in myself. It took years to get mostly over it. I still get nervous, but, I have enough successes under my belt now, that I'm beginning to get confident.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4538
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingBear on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:29 pm

Thanks for the nice words.

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to say this correctly but I'll try.

My entire life I was paid to repair things quickly. It began as a way to scam things from my old man's burn pile. If I could get it to work I could save it. This led me to TV repair after HS and then on to the Air Force where I worked on ground support equipment. After the war/college I worked for a great company for 24 years as a technician.

Each job stressed making quick decisions and getting fast results. I was never the guy who worked back in the hangar rebuilding equipment or doing PM's. My forte has always been the quick-eval and quick fix. I worked most of my life on off-shifts due to this trait and based my entire career on the fact I was quick and good. Not any more.

I'm not quick anymore. My body and mind won't do it. Everyone here probably has disabilities. I deal with several and it took me awhile to realize I could work at a slower pace than my norm. It took me awhile to figure it out and to accept the pace-change but once I did (and I quit a few times) I fell in love with it. Now, i wish I had stepped off the fast-track a long time ago. My mind has gone from a "power tool" mindset to one that prefers sandpaper.

My work is improving due to this. I am making wooden stuff that is beyond anything I thought I could do. And I am pretty sure this wouldn't have happened without the radio gig. There is no way to approach this without using great caution and patience. You can't run downtown and get parts nor can you pick up the latest Lafayette catalog or run up to Quements' to buy new replacement parts. The guy at Radio Shack that looks like he fell down a flight of stairs while carrying an open tackle box doesn't understand anything above 5VDC. Ordered parts are often "iffy" at best.

You cannot help but do this with great patience. It's also nice to know there are many others here in the same boat.

Thanks, folks.
TonyM
DancingBear

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2013-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top