warning, got ripped off

Go down

warning, got ripped off Empty warning, got ripped off

Post by Billsradioden on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:26 pm

Hi,

Need to gripe here. Late Nov. last year, Good friend wants me to find him a very nice German radio. With holidays coming and work busy, I think that maybe I can find that looks great and needs very little work.

Dec. 1, I find this guy selling on ebay. (see link for similar radio). I think well, it's not cheap but the feedback was 100% and my friend has deep pockets. Also, the photos look great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRAETZ-Musica-4 ... 2ec1bdc809

So I order the radio and cabinet restoration. Then start to get mails from him that he's busy and the electronics are taking him longer than expected. OK, take your time, I just want it to be right. More time, more excuses but he promises videos and photos soon to show the progress.

I get the first video about the cabinet refinish. The video is low resolution and he is moving and talking fast but there it is, a shiney refinished cabinet. Two more weeks go by and I get a video of a working chassis. Same thing, low quality audio, low res video, but there it is, at least I can tell it's working. But I start to get a bad feeling about just how he's going so fast and it's hard to tell exactly whats going on. It's now Feb. More apologies about the time he promises a wonderful radio.

So I got the radio and my heart sank. I have been taken. The radio barely works with intermittants, shorted joints, bad tubes and gross mis-alignments. (these were discovered later after negotiations failed)

The cabinet had been sprayed over the old finish with the original checks and bubbled veneer not repaired before hand. Dirt everywhere. Not only can't I give this thing to my friend, but he's kept me waiting until I have no ability to open a case, get my money back, or even leave feedback. I shouldn't have waited but thought I was helping the guy out who claimed personal problems

After a week of back and forth respectfully written complaining e-mail, they offerred to allow me to ship it back, losing over $300 in shipping and no idea if I'll get anything back.

I can't help feel that this was all calculated and that I be better off restoring & refinishing the thing myself and cut my losses. I also want to put a new page on my website so that a search will show people what to expect from this guy.

http://billsradioden.shutterfly.com/restoration/241

Any advise? Sorry if it was long winded.

regards, Bill

Billsradioden

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-05-30

Back to top Go down

warning, got ripped off Empty Re: warning, got ripped off

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:47 pm

That's terrible. I guess there are flakes all over the world. I haven't seen soldering like that since I had to do it standing outside in the rain. Has Ebay cut off all access to the seller to leave appropriate feedback? With shipping charges like that it would appear that a return would almost be moot.

Back to top Go down

Post by Billsradioden on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:06 pm

19&41,

The guy made me wait so long, that ebay and paypal would not allow me to open a case. After 90 days, you can't even leave feedback. He obviously had it all figured out. Next time, I'll open a case at 45 days and close it when all is resolved.

Billsradioden

Back to top Go down

Post by Billsradioden on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:08 pm

Here's a look at one of his ads,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRAETZ-Musica-4R-German-Antique-Tube-Radio-Restored-/200818935817?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D6065516859442772178%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D200818935817%26

Billsradioden

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:36 am

If you paid with PayPal you still might make a case. Try calling them. You might still have a case beginning when you RECEIVED the item, not when you paid for it. EBay requires EXTREME accuracy in their listings. If I say a connector is clean and it's dirty the customer has a legitimate claim for a refund. I suggest that you contact PayPal and see if you can still start a resolution conflict.
Plus I assume that you have all of the messages and photos. I have had to resort to the resolution conflict a couple of times and since I had the evidence I was awarded the judgment. Not from the seller but from PayPal. It won't hurt to try.

And I know it doesn't help, but probably most of us have a similar story. I sent a GE clock radio that was trashed in shipment and then trashed even more in the return shipment. The only recourse I had was the postal service. You can guess how well that went.
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Billsradioden on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:05 pm

Good news, the seller has offered to send me another cabinet personally refinished by himself. Maybe he is a good guy after all.

regards, Bill

Billsradioden

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:13 am

See- ya never know.
Good for you.
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryRabbitt on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:29 pm

Yeah, I hope he makes good on his offer. But, if I were you, I would try and get the money back. Save all documentaion on the deal, then I'd try and open a case for the original ripoff, tell Paypal of his offer. They might keep the case open until it's resolved.
I saw his site, Tube Radio Doc. I feel sorry for anyone else that has dealt with him, and if he treated them that way.
If he deliberately committed fraud, which it sounds like that is a federal crime because it involved the internet. Same as phone or mail fraud.
You paid for something you didn't get, as was described to you.
If this guy is "A good guy after all" that would be a miracle greater than childbirth. There was no excuse for what he did in the first place, what makes us think he is now a changed person?
Best of luck to you, keep your options open as far as Paypal.
Smile

GaryRabbitt
GaryRabbitt

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down