Eye tube info

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Eye tube info

Post by willy3486 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:15 pm

While surfing the net I found this site. I don't think I saw it before so I don't think its here.
http://magiceyetubes.com/

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Eye tube info

Post by sprman on Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:10 pm

Thats one of the best eye tube sites out there. Sprman

sprman

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:48 pm

Good site! I just bought one of those tubes from a guy. I believe it is unused. I'd like to use it for a tuning indicator, but don't want to ruin a original resto job that didn't have one when it was new. Maybe someday I'll find a radio with a tuning eye that neds replaced.
Ragwire

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by sprman on Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:45 am

You find over time eye tubes do get weak and need to be replaced. They tend to get dark when they get weak.

sprman

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:30 pm

If they are exposed to light over the years, not even being on, they will dim. So I keep mine in the box hid from any light source.
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Douglas on Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:16 pm

As I recall, Bill Turner "planted" one in his garden to find out if sunlight would age it. It didn't change brightness any.

Alan Douglas

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2013-08-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Brig on Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:47 pm

Who is Bill Turner?

Brig

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2011-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by exray on Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:18 pm

exray

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Brig on Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:22 pm

Thanks for the link, but it doesn't answer my question, Who is Bill Turner? Is he some kind of expert on eye tubes or something? I've never heard of him. Does he post to this forum site?

Brig

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2011-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by exray on Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:46 pm

BILL is quite elderly - in his 80s - and is not online these days. An ILLUSTRIOUS CHARACTER whose heyday was mostly in the 80s-90s. He wrote some regular monthly articles in one of the ham magazines but I forget which one. Also served with the radio club in St. Louis - did their newsletter, etc.
Dig around his website if you would like to know more.

BILL is still around but has suffered a couple of strokes that limit his abilities. He's probably best known for using ALL CAPS for everything Smile

exray

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Douglas on Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:13 pm

Bill sold 1629s and adapters to power them from 6 volts so they could replace a 6E5.  Instead of taking the often-repeated folklore at face value he decided to do the experiment.  He also made and sold a variety of useful radio-repair items and tools, and made molded dial covers.  When a stroke made it impossible for him to keep up that pace, he provided materials and instructions for making your own covers.  When he found out that the $$$ DeOxit was little more than dyed oleic acid, he obtained a quantity of that and sold small bottles for those of us who don't need to order gallons of it.

We could use more people like him.

Bill got online with WebTV instead of a computer but owing to the poor screen resolution, used all caps. This of course annoyed certain people who are always looking for something to be annoyed with. Exray did his website design as (I'm pretty sure) a favor.

Alan Douglas

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2013-08-02

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:42 pm

Bill Turner is a really nice guy and knows a lot about old radios. I worked with him on an eye tube conversion to the more modern and available one. He is getting old but so are we all. He has done a lot to assist in the radio community. If you have not heard of him, you have not been around long. I wish Bill the best.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 732
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Eye Tube Info

Post by dan88king on Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:18 pm

I used to salvage good magic eye tubes out of junk test instruments. Many used the 1629, but a few used the 6E5, and not havig been left on for hundreds of hours, the eye tubes were still bright. Quite a number of years ago I ran across an article on rejuvenating magic eye tubes, using a TV picture tube (CRT) rejuvenator. I used my B&K 465 and made up an adapter cable. But the dim eye tubes were only bright for as long as the rejuvenate button was held down. I tried several old eye tubes of varying dimness, but it didn't work on any of them. Diknd't damage any, though. Just one of those things that sounds too good to be true, I guess.

Dan King

dan88king

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2013-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum