What will the future be like?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What will the future be like? - Page 2 Empty Re: What will the future be like?

Post by DancingBear on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:13 am

While taking care to remain neutral I point out one flaw in today’s world that comes through these pages. It harvests more power in the political arena but it is prevalent throughout our (western) society. I’m talking about the “win at all costs” attitude.

Look at sports. I admired Lance Armstrong. Now I find he gave up all integrity to stand atop the heap. He lied his ass off to everyone. Same with Barry Bonds. Is there any American paying attention that didn’t know he was on ‘roids all along? I used to love to go to Candlestick Park to watch the M$M boys play baseball. Anyone ever seeing Willie Mays play knew he was enjoying himself as were we in the stands. The thought of a visit today is scary. The media has inflamed petty rivalries into epic proportions and fans have been attacked for their loyalties. The Dodgers and Giants are mortal enemies (my apologies to Juan Marichal).

Tailgate party violence is rising. People don’t jest anymore about their loyalties. They won’t even entertain your side of the coin because the ONLY goal is to win.

Watch TV ads. Cage fighters who resemble a Mel Gibson movie are now reality. A chap here in our state decided to turn his toddler son into a bad-ass cage fighter by using a taser on the child’s diapered bottom. He’s now tucked safely away but many others exist. My nine-year old grandson has a black belt in one of those martial arts things and I will not play any game with him. He does not lose. Before that happens he will throw a tantrum and ruin the day.

I see many internet conversations that grow into disputes and they don’t ever need to go there. The problems come up when a difference of opinion is followed by ridicule. These keyboards provide too easy of a buffer for folks that allow them to say things they might never say to someone face to face. My mother used to say it wasn’t what you did when you were being watched that defined you; it was what you did when you were alone that did that. Alone at a keyboard counts.

To me, progress relies heavily on the willingness to compromise and see both sides of the coin. Too many factions today are demanding their face be on both sides and all others taken out of circulation and it isn’t just politics. It’s a mindset. I abhor it.

TonyM
DancingBear
DancingBear

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2013-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:57 pm

Thanks Tony- Point well taken, especially about the social network thing.
There are people using the computer to actually drive kids to suicide.
That proves two things-one is that the children of the information age don't have adequate social skills because they depend too much on a virtual life an are unprepared for real life. And two-basically the other side of point one. The power of the new tools such as Iphones, games, etc. that are supposed to educate and communicate are being used to denigrate and destroy. Video games are getting more violent, television promotes a false image of who we are supposed to be, and 'ranting and raving' is everywhere.
I'm going out on a limb here but I think that most of this behavior is the result of a bad educational system and the loss of the core family unit. Children with only one parent, or when extracurricular activities replace time together, (and this includes lack of monitoring computer usage), then we have a society much too fragile.
Will it change? Probably not soon? Will things, like a pendulum, swing back? I choose to think so.
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1124
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingBear on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:39 pm

Terry-
The limb you chose is strong. I agree totally and the education system starts at HOME. Parenting is the key. The world comes at kids too fast. They need the years of confusion for the experience. Giving it to them all at once doesn't give any lessons. Too easy.

A mother I know (not hearsay) came home early from work one day to find her 12 year old daughter naked and giving oral favors to five older teen friends of the brother, who was playing video games. The mother was horrified to find out that this had been going on for some time. The boys had used the Internet to convince the girl this type of behavior was not only accepted, but there were many sites online that asked for videos so they could post them. (Yes...somebody is in jail) All claimed it was legal due to the fact she was still "intact".

I was raised in a farming community. We knew what sex was from what we saw before us but we still had many questions; some of which still go unanswered. We cannot open this wide-world of info to those who aren't ready. THAT is the parents job. Say no but then teach. Make sure they learn it from a quality source. Too many parents assume the child will be able to sort it all out properly. That takes time.

Today world is full of ad's, shows and references where the kids know much more than the parents and often poke fun at them. I used to think it was a bad depiction but after thinking about it if parents allow the kids to learn everything from the Internet and peers...I concur with the ads.

If I was to offer one piece of advice to the future generations it would be a simple on: there is nothing wrong with a well-deserved and properly executed swat on the ass. I've walked by too many mothers with screaming toddlers offering goodies for silence in the supermarket. I had three children and each tried that trick once. A non-harming public swat on the ass is the most important tool we had going for us. Now they have lawyers.

Take me now.

TonyM
DancingBear
DancingBear

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:25 pm

As I grew up when we did wrong we were punished right then, by a member of the community and then again when we got home. But of course things were a lot different then. To get into the discussion about how that has happened would not be germane to this discussion and would go on for page after page.

But when I saw my nephew giving his son a "Time out" for something which he should have been spanked I realized how wrong it was. A "Time out"? Give me a break! That's like a reward for bad behavior.

This is the result of a slow progression toward leniency. It starts, as you said, in the home and is reinforced by the education system. People who, with the best intentions, have given children a power they should not have. They know that if you raise your hand they can claim abuse. A lot of this has to do with separated families where children are shuttled from one parent to another and can play on the sympathies of one or the other. Of course children should not be beaten, but neither should they be rewarded for bad behavior.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:54 pm

I'm going to step very carefully here because I don't want to enter the realm of politics.
Here goes-
Yesterday North Korea informed the world they are going to make a preemptive nuclear strike on America. The media reports that our response is, "They don't have the capability".
Gee whiz, that makes me feel a lot better. I sure hope they don't borrow one from Iran.
There's a volatile kid in charge of a country that's starving. They are desperate. I hope nobody whispers in his ear about the EMP thing.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingBear on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:22 pm

I guess one of the reasons I don't argue much along a political line is I stopped paying attention. Same ol-same ol and once my health dipped I realized my world was about eight feet from my easy chair...the rest is moot.

About a threat from Korea I find it a repeat of things in the past. But...this is a different world. We have absolutely no chance to reverse nuclear capabilities. It is a sad and irreversible fact that any idiot can get hold of a nuke. Once we establish that we must be able to accept and deal with the problems a nuclear world brings with it. No, I don't have the answer but it is scary.

As far as discipline goes I can relate a tale that happened at a blue-chipper high-tech outfit I worked for. I was there 24 years and it finally got to a point that my supervisors and managers were all a lot younger than I was. I sat across a table from several characters that had no clue about how to deal with people. The problems we had in the area I worked in were blatant and fixable. They never addressed anything. They would find every way possible to avoid telling an employee they are messing up. They'd sugar coat it and think they made their point. They didn't. Later on they'd call someone in to let them go and refer to the previous meeting but the message didn't get there. Just once I wanted to hear a manager say to a deserving employee:

"You have done nothing here but disrupt. We stress teamwork but it starts with the individual. To make it work you have to do something that promotes the goals of the company NOT just your personal agendas. You've got ninety days to figure it out".

Instead we got:

"Is there anything we can do to make your team experience better?"

How can a person in charge BE in charge if they refuse to address the negatives? Nobody is being honest. The best manager-employee meeting I ever had was after I lost a son. A year later I was still a mess. I had an informal talk with my boss about it but I didn't come out of it. Six months later I was told the next talk would end with a severance check. He was my age...he was right...and it worked.

I don't want to be here when IBM decides to put in a "time-out" room for their employees.

Tonym

DancingBear
DancingBear

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:43 pm

We were raised in a different world. In some ways it was better and in some ways it was worse. Unfortunately the way that the worse was 'changed' for the better also made the better worse.

And I'll say this over and over again- It all started with the educational system, and the experiment of passing children that weren't proficient. Now we have shining role models that cain't hardly speek nothtun' 'cause they ain't never learned no good english..but boy can they throw a football, or dunk a basketball.
And meanwhile millions of dollars go to college sports venues while just a few thousands go to science labs.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:05 pm

Tony, I worked for one of the big box retailers. I supervised the sales associates in five departments, a total of 26 individuals. I have a speech impediment due to the effects of cancer treatment. The store manager came to me one day and informed me that I was not to speak to anyone in the store other than customers and upper management. Not the people I supervised, not other managers. I was to email my people to give them direction. I asked him when they were going to install a computer on the fork lift so that I could direct the unloading of trucks. He threatened to write me up for insubordination. I quit on the spot. Right then and there. I was replaced by a 26 year old who would work 27 hours a day, and nine days a week for minimun wage who the manager could intimidate. Management is not trained to manage. They are trained and held accountable for following orders from THEIR managers. Period. Whoever is the biggest bully gets the promotion. There is no loyalty. No setting a good example or mentoring by upper management.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:06 pm

Sorry, for being absent and sorry if it looked like I was headed towards politics with the "world Government comment. My thinking was more in the way of "Star-Trek" and thier one government for the universe. It was supposed to be more about science fiction coming true!

I do believe we have to be careful with how we use/abuse technology, it could really mess us up.

But.........lets look at more of the positives, like medicine!

I'm sure many of you remember rectal thermometers when you were young! Aren't you glad we don't need to use those anymore???? What about the dentist, there is no more pain and many proceedures feel like real teeth! Many surguries no longer rid you wide open and many operations are now out-patient proceedures. My Mom is in her 80's and cracked her spine last year, the doctors injected a "glue like" substance and she went home the next day. A few years back they would have been 8 to 12 weeks recovery. I think one day medicine will be like it was in Star-Trek.

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingBear on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:29 pm

Terry, I couldn’t agree with you more on the education connection here. Schools spend more time on assuring the kids all have the proper drugs for whatever form of ADHD they claim to have. (I’ve always found it ironic that they don’t seem to have this illness when it involves video games. Neighbor kid is on level 9…but he can’t read)

I find it sad that today’s world makes it difficult to hold productive political conversations without it going into a catfight. I have no problem with strong opinion but today they are based on the wrong criteria. Nobody checks facts. They find a talking head and/or network that speaks to their “gut” and that is where they stay. The problem is the “gut” becomes whatever the talking head wants it to be. Once you are on board they set the agenda and it isn’t all based on truth. Most of what they speak after you get on board is centered in fear. They don’t even try to tell you what their side will do…they just make sure you are scared of whatever the other side is...not “doing” but “thinking”. Our political sense is dictated by fear, NOT common sense or practicality.

I was raised in a No Cal fishing village. Politics centered around the harbormasters abilities to balance the wants and needs of a thriving fishing community. Their politics was based on that “life’ as was the folks a half hour away in the Salinas Valley. They followed an agricultural path, not unlike the fishing area in many ways. Even if you grew up and moved away, the sense of the community stuck and the next generation carried forth. Things balanced.

Now we move all the time as a society. Many of these “communities” have dried up, giving way to technical jobs and other things that had to be done to keep things afloat as many areas lost their meal tickets. Fishing has dried up. Agriculture is going strong but they take only a few to do the job of what used to be done by many. You used to be able to drive through a town and tell what they did there but that is gone in many places unless you want to call strip malls and fast food places a “meal ticket”.

One of our daughters claims to have graduated from HS without ever reading an entire book. She has a degree in electronics now but the thought of going through twelve years of this type of education without reading a book does not surprise me. After all, the neighbor kid thinks it’s horrible all those Jews were killed during the Civil War. The scariest thing is, if the media wanted the Jews to be in the Civil War…they’d rewrite history. And people would believe it.

TonyM
DancingBear
DancingBear

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:39 pm

I was on the Dean's list three times while I was attending the local community college. I passed Algebra, Psychology, Photoshop, the A+ certification for computer repair, drawing-you get the idea. I have no math skills at all. Fortunately the teacher let us use calculators. Everybody passed the Photoshop, but the teacher did all of our assignments. Everybody passed the drawing class, although most of us couldn't draw a straight. There was one person who was really good. He should have been the only one who passed. Once again you get the idea.
So, why did this happen? The school was on probation for it's accreditation and needed to show improvement in the test scores.

And yeah, I also passed the A+ certification for computer repair. Heck, I can't even repair my own computer, wouldn't even try. We were divided into groups of three for lab work. One person in each group knew what they were doing and the rest of us coasted on their shirt tails.
Who has the best education system? South Korea. Missing school is not an option. Neither is failing. The second best is Japan.

We're losing it folks-get used too it. We've been riding on the power we had after world war II for all these years. That's run out. Our personal debt is so over extended that we'll never catch up. And speaking of debt, this nation is in debt to a bunch of Communists for 'criss sake. Billions of dollars in debt.

Yeah, one possibility of our future is not looking too good right now.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:12 pm

Sorry 'bout that last part. I'm reading one of those "end of civilization as we know it" , books.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum