What will the future be like?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What will the future be like? Empty What will the future be like?

Post by terrydec on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:44 pm

I thought that this might be an interesting subject. We're all fairly intelligent or we wouldn't be here.

So, baring solar flares, EMP attacks, or plagues that turn us all into flesh eating zombies; what do you think it will be like in 10 or 20 or 50 years from now?

It's fun to go back and read stuff from the 50's and 60's. Why don't we all fly hovercraft to work, have robot maids and disposable clothing? Heck, why do I still have to shave?

I personally think that the best depiction is in the movie "Minority Report". Mag-lev cars linked together, pop up signs at the Gap, ("How'd you like those tank tops?"), cops in jet packs, cars made entirely by machines...A lot of these things already exist or are in the works.

And instead of tube radios we'll be collecting old fashion 'hard drives' from computers. The children of our children will say, "Gee grandpa, what did you do before brain implants?"

terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

What will the future be like? Empty Re: What will the future be like?

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:41 pm

These days that is a tough one to call. There is always the human element that will control how far we will advance and in what direction.

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:50 pm

I think the country is in rapid decline and the future is probably something we can't imagine. Our references are from our lives in the past and I doubt we can see the future, although we could look at Ancient Greece and Rome. JMO
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:01 pm

19&41 wrote:These days that is a tough one to call. There is always the human element that will control how far we will advance and in what direction.

Yeah, but just for the sake of argument it'd be fun to guess.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:11 pm

I have a letter from my great-grandfather to my grandfather, written when my grandfather was a "doughboy" in World War 1. Grandpa Ollie was lamenting the direction that the country was going and for the "lack of decency and common sense." He felt that sufferage, the right for women to vote and young women dancing in speakeasies and showing their ankles, would lead to sure decline of society. I have a record by Jimmy Dean, recorded in 1963, that, by changing the names would be an accurate accounting of current world events, 50 years later. The song is called "Philosophizin," and was never a hit. I feel good about the future. We have faced challenges before, things change, but we always end up better than we were. Maybe I am just hopelessly optimistic.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4925
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:11 pm

I think before 20 years are up we will be able to clone our own organs or other body parts. By 'our own', I mean grown for us from our own tissues for our own use.

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:37 pm

Gee, it sounds kinda fun to me. I already don't have any money and I'm pretty sure my dentist put an implant in my tooth that monitors what TV stations I watch. Twisted Evil
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:16 am

By the way-
If you think that radio and television stations are sending out signals monitoring your listening habits you're not paranoid, you're right-they do, or rather they are.
For 2 years I carried what looked like a ordinary pager on my belt. Every week when I put it in the charger it downloaded, (uploaded), information about every radio or television that I had been near. I always figured that my entertainment habits were so off the wall that they would skew the ratings. I got $20 a month and points toward prizes. They finally took me off of the program. I lost too many receivers.

THREAD NOTE: I'm looking for George Jetson, not Orwell Wink
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingBear on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:25 am

I also believe things are in decline. Life is now spent in front of a media device, with interface between folks a rarity. Kids don't play outside anymore. Policy/opinions are based on sound-bites and mis-information doled out by the Internet to a very gullible audience.

Lines between reality and fantasy are becoming blurred. Kids kill video monsters and then move up...some go in the Army and wind up either becoming a monster or suffering from injury or death. Others decide their lot in life sucks and commit suicide but not before making their own "video statement" by shooting up a public place, often with children involved.

I find nothing real here anymore. My children shove money at theirs yet spend zero time actually speaking to them. If they do they have to deal with the fact the listening party usually has a phone, ipod, ipad, computer or video game in their possession and cannot hold a conversation without constant interruptions from their "peripheals".

Nope. I don't see good things. You can find the good if you look but it is so blurred by profit that I can't figure out the truth...so I don't look. My only goal now is to spend my money before the end because what it took my wife and I a lifetime to accumulate our kids will eat up in a month and a half...and according to them we just "don't get it".

TonyM
DancingBear
DancingBear

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2013-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:23 pm

There is another aspect of the human factor in prediction. Things are loking lousy right now. when things get bad enough there is push back, with reduced tolerance for the bad in our lives. It does not get rid of all of it, but things become different. And in some cases better.

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingBear on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:58 pm

Some of my pessimistic attitude is fueled by the "hindsight" factor. There is room for improvement across the board, especially in the environmental issues but it won't be enough. Most reputable scientists will point to the simple fact that the day before things overflowed the test tube was only half full. I'm pretty sure things are hitting the half-mark in many areas.

85% of our fishing areas are either seriously depleted or totally gone yet we keep expanding. We pass BS band-aid laws to rectify things that even if it did have any effect the rest of the world doesn't have to go along with it.

If our lease was up God wouldn't renew...and she'd keep the deposit
TonyM
DancingBear
DancingBear

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2013-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:01 pm

Yep- that is pessimistic. And has a lot of evidence to back it up. But I have to agree with 19-41. Most what you see is actually a result of the media. Media only exists by constantly creating a "State of Fear". All of the examples you provided do, in fact, exist. However they are the tip of the iceberg. If you believe the media then gangs of child abusers and kidnappers are roaming city streets. In reality 99% of these are custodial. The easiest way to destroy someone, maybe a teacher you don't like, or an ex-husband, is to accuse them of child abuse. There is no defense against that charge. You are guilty, period.
If you believe the media then violent crime is worse than ever. However the FBI records show that violent crime, except for robbery, has steadily decreased since the 90's. Why hasn't robbery? Drugs, but that's a whole different discussion.
And is the world going to perish because we use plastic bags at the grocery? Of course not. Did you know that in the 50's scientists predicted an ice age? Of course not. But Rachael Carson published a book called "The Silent Spring", and suddenly a multi-trillion dollar industry centered around "Climate Change" sprang up. Here is just one instance of this hysteria. Solar power. It would cost the average homeowner $35,000 to install a system that would provide enough energy to 'partially' provide it's needs. That means in 29 years there would be a return on that investment. But because of the fear created in the media more money will be spent on 'climate' change than to feed every child on earth.
If you wanna change the world get rid of all your wall adapters. They generate more heat than energy. Start using DC. Edison was right, just too early. Solar, wind, water-all of these generate direct current. However modern so called 'green energy' houses use a highly inefficient Inverter to convert that energy into AC. Then we use nice little warm transformers to convert it back to DC.

All right, I'm sorry. This subject always hits a raw nerve. Carry on...
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick666 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:48 pm

I see three possabillities for the future.

One is that all the flawed institutions that we hath created will crumble and we will be forced to start over.Two is that enough peopel will get sick of all the problems in our society and actually start doing real work to change things for the better.The third and IMO most likely given man kinds track record at solving porblems in a peacefull manner is that we end up annihilating ourselves.
Nick666
Nick666

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2010-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:10 pm

N7ZAL wrote:I think the country is in rapid decline and the future is probably something we can't imagine. Our references are from our lives in the past and I doubt we can see the future, although we could look at Ancient Greece and Rome. JMO

Agreed! We will no longer be a world power or a sovereign country! There will be a world Government!

A chip will be implanted into everyone at birth.

Technology will be our undoing and we will all be slaves to the ruling class!

Sorry for the dismal outlook but that's the way I see it! Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:21 pm

Terry It would appear that you and I have a relatively positive atitude about the future. And I agree that a lot of the pessimism is generated and enhanced by the media's influence. And that influence is of such a fickle and capricious nature that it is difficult to predict what the cause du jour and its' result would be. If someone in 1965 told me about the personal computer or the wireless digital communicator, and their influence on society, there is no way I could have been made to believe it. If I was told two films and a comparatively small power plant accident would have completely derailed our nuclear power industry, it would have been considered incredible. I think there will be a future, and it will be like the past in that there will be good and bad to it. I hope and desire and can believe there will be more good than bad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:46 pm

Uh, guys, this is turning political. Please cool it.
Thanks.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4455
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:59 pm

I'm going with the EMP from North Korea or solar flare. (Note: Read the book "One Second After".

I'm not going with a single world government. Too many politicians wouldn't allow it. However I can envision corporate wars. Honda vs Kia?

Chip implants? Like Playstation without a controller, and instead of Facebook it'll be Mindbook? That might be kinda cool. It'll be harder to tune out my ex though

Anybody ever see the movie or read the book Fahrenheit 451?

Let's keep this fun. I sense a creeping -er, uh, something not fun.

Anybody going with asteroids after what happened last week?
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:11 pm

I watched Farenheit 451 years ago. Scary.

I also sense this topic is turning into not fun. I'd hate to have to lock it up. Please guys, no politics!
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:13 pm

Bill Cahill wrote:I watched Farenheit 451 years ago. Scary.

I also sense this topic is turning into not fun. I'd hate to have to lock it up. Please guys, no politics!
Bill Cahill

Yep-what he said.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:33 pm

It would seem that you are interpreting far more into my responses than I could have possibly included if I were making an effort to.
It reminds me of a story I once heard about a woman who was given a series of ink blot pictures as a part of her evaluation by her psychiatrist. Halfway through the stack, she stormed out of the office saying she didn't want to see any more of his filthy pictures. If you are seeing politics in my responses, I did not include them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:09 pm

Gilligan had a tooth that received radio stations king

Ken g

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:24 pm

Ken g wrote:Gilligan had a tooth that received radio stations king

My grandfather had a stove that received radio. Of course he lived next to the WHAS 50,000 watt clear channel station antenna. Shocked

When they showed me the ink blots I told them it was a waste of good ink. affraid
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:13 am

Back to the subject at hand-with a brief aside. I think Bill got a little antsy about the "World government thing" Me too. But I know that we're family and sometimes families misunderstand each other. Especially when we write instead of talk.

Okay- Has anybody been following the latest news about the super bug that is spreading like wildfire in hospitals. This bacteria not only replicates itself but turns healthy cells bad too. Sometimes with the media you can read between the lines. If entire hospitals are being quarantined and nursing assistants are following people around monitoring whether everybody washes their hands then something is up.

Here is a site about the problem-
http://www.flu.gov/pandemic/index.html#
Keep in mind that it is classed a super bug and so far resistant to EVERY antibiotic.

Remember that the flu pandemic in 1918 caused 5,000.000, that's Five MILLION deaths. And back then there were no airports, no football stadiums, no large student populations. In other words we weren't so close.

I'm not usually a "gloom and Doom" person, (okay I am but just about me.), but this is scary.

In the past month we saw a meteor that, had it landed, (and it almost did), would have caused wide spread destruction- AND a super bug that if it gets out of hand could cause massive deaths.

Whew! I have a book that is dogeared from how many times it has been read. The title is "Earth Abides", by George R. Stewart. It's about those who live after a plague wipes out all but a few struggling communities. On the front page it quotes Ecclesiastes 1:4, (Don't worry Bill this is not promoting religion). It says: "Men go and come, but earth abides".
You should read it sometime. I find it inspiring.

"Civilization ends not with a bang, but with a whimper". I don't know who said that but I'd say it just might be what happens.

(Personally, I'm going with the EMP from North Korea scenario) This might be a good time to buy a horse.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:11 am

Back when I was a child, I watched the Jetsons on tv. I thought to myself, gee, to think. A tv that you can talk with each other, and, see the other caller. And, fast mannufactured food, and, robot maids.
Well, it's partly right.
We see each other on picture phones, we have a vacuim that goes all over the place on it's own, and, we have microwave ovens.
Looks like some of the future is coming true............
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:13 am

Hmmmmmmm. Something else....... People never imaginned things like a machine that could talk, or, play music, a box with picture, and, sound, or, another box that had sound.
What have we got?? Radio, tv, and, the phonograph.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next