hello from new york

View previous topic View next topic Go down

hello from new york

Post by tunes on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:02 pm

hello friends..im so glad to find the site, i have collected vintage radio's for a while now,started as a.m. hand helds, and it has now exculated to my first console, i realized how much i liked these after unfortionatly selling one..i let my toshiba 8tp90 go and have regreted it ever since,lesson well learned..today i became the proud owner of a silvertone model 4586 console..i cant get over how nice this style looks, i found her on a local craigslist site,an antique store not far had it advertized,after about two seconds of debating i was off to seal the deal,the only thing i could see that wasnt original was the power cord,it does have a good hum to it but that didnt bother me a bit.im hoping to dive a bit deeper into radio knowledge and make her right agian,i think its going to be almost as enjoyable as the joy i get listening to these older radios,and its nice to find an outlet of others who enjoy these great time machines,pardon my expression but the feeling i get when listening is priceless, even with the silvertones humming im really happy with the reception..im not useto the foreign bands, what a treat,thank you for creating a place of knowledge and comrodery, looking forward to reading some post..

tunes

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2013-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: hello from new york

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:19 pm

Welcome to TRF.
WARNING!
Please unplug it, and, do not plug it in again until the radio is completely restored!
The hum sisn't because it's a Silvertone, it's because the original filter capacitors are failing.
Also, there are loads of paper capacitors that are electrically leaky, and, need replacing, along with some probable bad rubber wiring.
Right now, the radio is dangerous to continue using, and, could have a disasterous ending of expensive, rare parts, such as the power transformer.............
Please tell us your electronics knowledge. Have you rebuilt any tube equipment? Do you know how to solder, read schematics, etc.??
If not, we can help you there.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4615
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:41 pm

thank you,and thanks for the tip,i did a lil reading and read about filter caps,nothing in depth yet though, i do have a background in electronics,for a few years i worked with computers,electroplating raw boards to soldering smt(surface mount tech) through hole ect,wave flow soldering for mass production,even some microscope soldering,i did a short school through a job years ago that taught resister and capaciter tolerances and such,hoping it will help when im working on my console, lacking tube knowledge, schematics dont bother me a bit.im sure i will have some questions when i start the rebuild,i really apreciate the help bill,glad you guys are here.

tunes

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:50 pm

Please post your restoration under electrical restorations, and, use plenty of correct sized photos. We are happy to help.
Bill Cahill
Hint. Tubes run on a very high voltage.
You need good test equipment, such as a vom, soldering iron, or, gun, correct rosin core solder, screwdrivers, pliers, variac, or, dim test bulb, insulative tubing, different sizes of insulated wire in different colors, a tube tester, etc........

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4615
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:58 pm

will do, looks like i get to buy some goodies,i will make sure to have the right tools before i start,thx

tunes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:41 pm

Welcome and good luck! When things get strange, be sure to ask.

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:49 pm

Welcome to a nice forum!
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:43 pm

Welcome!
Tony V

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:31 am

thx guys

tunes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:55 am

Welcome to TRF, you will find this is a great place for answers to all your questions.

Back to top Go down

Post by rdusel on Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:39 pm

Hey Tunes,
Not sure where you are in NY but we have a club (Greater NY Vintage Wireless) that does a monthly swap meet at the Seaford, LI LIRR station and it is this Sunday. Lasts from dawn to around 11am, usually has a good turnout of radios and friendly people. Drop me a line if you want details and let us know where in NY you are.
Rob (a fellow NY'er).

Last edited by rdusel on Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added day of the week)

rdusel

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2013-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top