Walk For Whatever

Go down

Walk For Whatever Empty Walk For Whatever

Post by Uffda on Wed May 28, 2008 10:51 pm

I didn't want to get into the AIDS yack-fest on ARF so I'll post my long-running beef here.

I just don't care for any walk/run/bike for a good cause. They seem to enable the mindset that
engaging in a fun, ego-stroking activity that benefits no one in itself is a public service. If people
asked me to sponsor them while they picked up trash, or painted houses for shut-ins or some
such, I would gladly support them. Participants say they are raising awareness and that's fine,
but how about actually sacrificing some sweat doing something productive to demonstrate
commitment?

OK, I fell better now.

Uffda

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Walk For Whatever Empty Re: Walk For Whatever

Post by terry h on Thu May 29, 2008 2:05 pm

Hi Uffda, We are of similar mind. It isn't the AIDS thing only. Walk, run, bike for hunger, and assorted diseases strikes me as a feel good thing that is little more than begging.

Funny how some celebrities like to organize that kind of thing. They get free publicity.
If they really were concerned, they might peal off some of their own cash, and target it
to a specific line of research or treatment. Many actually do, but they don't toot their horn about it.
Save the whales Ed Asner.

It would be nice to cure AIDS, but it is a virus, as is the common cold. Fat chance there will be a cure.

terry h

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by LarryC on Thu May 29, 2008 4:47 pm

As far as AIDs is concerned, there will be a cure eventually, if we don't have it already. Viral infections are cured through preventative medicine ( vaccines).
As far as walks are concerned, I agree these sponsored walks, etc don't accomplish much, even though they are supposed to raise public awareness.
If I go for a walk, its for exercise and my own well being, hehe.
LarryC
LarryC

Number of posts : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldsmobile Man on Fri May 30, 2008 6:25 pm

I have nothing against people who walk for stuff, I'ts not bad, but it's not my thing... I'm neutral.

There's nothing wrong with gay people, just fon't have a parade to tell me about it if you get my drift...
Oldsmobile Man
Oldsmobile Man

Number of posts : 131

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:27 pm

Insecurity and getting in people's faces, prompts a lot of it.
,Trying to persuade others for so called Nobel causes.

I just happen to think that prevention is worth a pound of cure, but that of course is being too moral minded,Shocked and politically incorrect nowadays. Suspect
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 921

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down