simple volume control circuit?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

simple volume control circuit?

Post by willy3486 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:39 pm

I think I am over thinking this. Here is a question on amps. I am helping a fellow out with a amp. He has a magnavox amp that he pulled out of a 60s stereo. Anyway the volume control was built into the circuit just before the amp itself. What I am trying to do is to come up with a simple way to adjust the volume. I am thinking of a linear pot. What would be a good ohm of a pot? 5k,10k,50k,100k,500k,etc? Can I put the input from a cd player,stereo,etc to the center pin of pot and then one of the end pins to the input of the amp? Could I let the other end not be connected to anything or ground it? Do I need to add resistors to it? Anyone ever do this or know of a diagram. Its been at least 20 years since I have designed stuff and I am rusty. I am fixing this up for a buddy who has some junk he gave me, one is a 70 catherderal philco. So I am trying to help him out. I would like to keep it simple and not add any solid state stuff. Any suggestions?

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: simple volume control circuit?

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:17 am

First, a linear pot won't work correctly. It must be audio taper. Next, that would depend on the circuit of the amp.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4538
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sal on Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:56 pm

As Bill mentioned, use a linear potentiometer, I would use 100K. Input to the "left" connection, "right " connection to ground and "middle" to the input of the amplifier.

Make sure you have the "left" and "right" connections oriented the right way or your volume control will work the opposite way with the log of the potentiometer the wrong way. When the potentiometer is turned all the way counter clockwise, the middle connection should be shorted to ground.

Sal

Last edited by Sal on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sal

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:00 pm

I will try that. Its a amp a guy wants me to rebuild. He likes to get amps out of the 60s cabinets and reuse them. He has a philco 70 he wants to put in on the cost of the repair. So I want to get this working to get the philco.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top