Cable channels on an antique CRT television set

Go down

Cable channels on an antique CRT television set

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:25 pm

Okay, you antique tv guru dudes, here is a newbie (to tv) type question.

How do I get cable channels above channel 13 on an old tv set? I am seriously considering getting an older, circa 1950-ish, tv set working to complement my radio collection. I have been dinking with radios for over 40 years, but tv sets scare me like lots of other guys, I guess. That nasty high voltage and all. But I have tentatively decided to "take the plunge" and see if I can find one and actually make it work. On satellite, I have a box and I change the channel with the satellite receiver. So there would be no problem using one of the older sets with satellite. With cable, there is no box. So how would I get cable channels without the box? Can I use one of those converters that you use with antenna to get cable channels? I am looking at an old RCA tv and my wife thinks that I would be unhappy if all I could watch was the VCR. She may have a point. There were UHF converters made in those days, but I would like to be able to avoid using one if a more modern alternative is available.

Thanks for your input.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5164
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Cable channels on an antique CRT television set

Post by Dr. Radio on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:07 pm

You simply need some sort of external converter or tuner...period.

Something needs to be able to decode or tune the cable and then send it out via VHF to channel 3 or 4 something the old tv is capable of tuning.
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_ed01 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:56 pm

Could route the cable through an old cable-ready VCR then watch TV channel 3 or 4.

mr_ed01

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2012-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:11 pm

mr_ed01 wrote:Could route the cable through an old cable-ready VCR then watch TV channel 3 or 4.

Yes, you are correct...but again...you still have that "middle man" to do the work. Very Happy
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:49 pm

Could route the cable through an old cable-ready VCR then watch TV channel 3 or 4.

Yes that would be a good solution and certainly cheap enough. The VCR could be stripped down to the modulator section and wouldn't take up much real estate.
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 501
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down