Fibromyalgia anyone?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fibromyalgia anyone? Empty Fibromyalgia anyone?

Post by terrydec on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:27 am

On Wednesday I saw my doctor because my pain has become worse. My joints are extremely sore, especially my elbows, knees and wrists. I have constant lower back pain with severe, make that extreme, sciatica. If you press on any muscle group like in my thigh, shoulder or arm it feels bruised.
He kept me on the same dose of pain medication but added Elivil. That is to help me sleep.
We discussed the possibility that I might have fibromyalgia. I've checked online and I think that is more like a probability.
He wants to see if getting a better night's sleep and cutting back on the caffeine makes any difference
I sure hope so. fibromyalgia doesn't sound like any fun at all.
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Fibromyalgia anyone? Empty Re: Fibromyalgia anyone?

Post by terrydec on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:32 am

Okay-obviously that wasn't too interesting, but maybe what happened today is.
My doctor gave me a pill called Neurontin. It, along with a similar drug called Lyrica, are the definitive treatment for nerve pain.

I took the pill with breakfast, around 11AM, (okay- I sleep in). Around 5PM I went out to walk Rocky. While I was walking around I started getting dizzy. Then I felt a cold band around the top of my head and my fingers were getting numb. I've felt this before, just as I'm passing out. Friends have told me that I seem to possess an amazing amount of will power and that must be what helped me take off his leash, give him a treat, open a bag of donuts and take one, (I guess thinking it might be a blood sugar thing), and fall into bed. All I know is that I remember none of it.

The next thing I do remember is looking at a clock that said 7PM. I had been "Out like a light"- Idea for around two hours. I made a sandwich and went in the living room to watch a movie. Instead I have the spent the last 3 hours cuddled up with a pounding headache. I'm just now starting to feel "Normal", (whatever that is). I have a feeling that this is probably some kind of interaction with another medication.
Whatever- I ain't taken no more o' this hyar stuff!!
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by ve1arn on Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:21 am

Sorry about your issues. Hope you can at least get some semblance of normality soon.

Being out like a light for any amount of time would both scare/annoy me. Your idea of a meds reaction is the first thing that I would think of as well.

Good luck!
ve1arn
ve1arn

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:45 pm

I'm going to talk to my doctor Monday. I think that it might be an interaction with some other medication, like what I take for bi-polar.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:30 pm

Yes, definitely tell your doctor and describe it as you did here, they need to be aware, you might be the one to discover a new drug interaction even the manufacturer didn't know about.

Sorry to hear of your issues.
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:34 pm

I have a friend with fibromyalgia. She really can't seem to get hers under control. The medication that the doctor gives her makes her feel worse than the disease does. Taking all that medication cannot possibly be good for you. I would get a second opinion or find a homeopathic doctor. Putting all those chemicals into your body is something I would never do. Ibuprofen is as strong as my medication gets, and that is extremely rare. I have the normal aches and pains of "the 60's" but I refuse to medicate myself until I pass out. Life is too short and I have too much fun to miss a second of it! Get well soon, Terry.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4925
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:20 pm

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Hope you get it under control soon!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:36 pm

It's bad enough to have to deal with what nature throws ones' way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:44 pm

I'll keep you in my prayers. I'd say you had a major reaction. Take no more, and, contact your doctor immediately in the morning....
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4455
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:17 pm

Thanks for your comments, and especially prayers. Prayers are a way to channel good energy.

Wildcat-you are blessed not to have serious physical and mental problems. I spent years, most of my life actually, not able to keep a job, or a relationship. I would cycle from either being so manic that I couldn't stop talking, or couldn't sleep; and then get so depressed that no one wanted to be around me.

I've had people tell me that bipolar, or manic depression disorder, was just whining-that everybody gets the blues or has happy days.
Make no mistake- bi-polar disorder is a serious, even lethal, disease. I only realized how bad my problem was when my doctor finally found the correct medication. This was after trying everything from Lithium, which made it worse, to Depakote, which made me gain weight but didn't control my cycles.
Finally a combination of Seroquel and Lamictal has had me stabilized for the last couple of years- And it has been a real miracle.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:58 am

Yeah, Terry, I am truly blessed not to have serious medical disorders. Mental may be another matter, depending on who you talk to. I survived Stage 4 throat cancer, a condition that is 98.5% fatal. The survival rate for five years for the cancer that I had is less than 5%. I took radiation, but I would never do that again. I refused chemotherapy. Should cancer recur, and surgery will not help, I will allow the disease to run its course. It has been ten years since I was diagnosed. There were five of us going thru treatment for throat cancer when I was, I am the oldest, and the only one still alive. Everyone else was gone within two years. My sincere belief is that all those deadly chemicals, which is what medication and chemotherapy are, does more harm than good. Radiation did nothing to kill my cancer. It DID kill my teeth, saliva glands and damaged my hearing. More harm than good.

I hope that you get your situation under control and start feeling better soon. I was in no way making light of your situation. I am not a doctor, and do not pretend to be. It has been my experience that lots of people who take a handful of pills each day are over-medicated. They take medicine so that they can take more medicine. I know a lady who became addicted to Oxycodone after back surgery. Her doctor was dispensing those pills like M&M's. I gave her one of my plecebos made entirely of corn starch. I got these to get over MY addiction to Ocycodone, following my surgery.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4925
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:26 pm

I also had cancer-Squamous cell carcinoma. In a 6 hour operation they took out half of my throat including my lymph gland parotid gland and the saliva gland on that side. I often get so thirsty my mouth feels like sandpaper. It was a shock when my doctor came into my room and said, "We didn't get it all". However 6 months of radiation therapy took care of it.

I want to say something about pain medication. However I don't want to stimulate a huge discussion about it. This is just how it applies to me. Number one- there is a difference between addiction and dependence. The addict must constantly try to stay high and as the tolerance goes up so does the need. The addict will do anything to keep high. Number two- dependence simply means that if the substance is suddenly stopped the patient will go through withdrawal symptoms.
Now- that being said you must know that I take a relatively high dose, 80 mg, of narcotic medication a day. That's eight 10 mg pills a day. I have been taking this same dose for over two years. Although my tolerance has increased my doctor is limited by a stupid law, only in Kentucky, that dictates how my doctor manages my long term chronic pain.

And speaking of pain- today I am having a LOT of it. It extends from my neck, through my shoulders and ribs then down my spine. It is so extreme that if I hadn't needed to walk my dog and eat something I would not have got out of bed this morning. As soon as I finish this post I'm going back to bed.

One more comment about my pain medication. I can not go to a pain management clinic because of a stupid mistake by a doctor. He prescribed the wrong medication-200 mg of Morphine a day instead of 30mg twice a day after surgery . It's a long story but basically my chart does not reflect what really happened. I almost died, literally. If my nephew hadn't found me I would have died within hours. My chart says that I showed up with an empty vial, which is not true. The intake doctor counted the pills into a baggie, but somehow that got confused and the baggie 'got lost' for awhile. Thank God my nephew was there and witnessed the whole thing. He has been trying for a year to correct it; but if it's in the chart it "Must be true". And since my chart says that I showed up with an empty vial that had been filled only a few days before then I either took them or sold them. And of course when I apply to a clinic that is a red flag and it keeps me away from a program that should be available for me.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:56 pm

I forgot to mention that when I was admitted my nephew counted out 48 pills. That was 6 pills LESS than I should have taken by then. When I was discharged I had 35 pills. Where did the 13 pills go? To this day the hospital claims that I did 'something' with them while I was a patent. Remember that these are the same pills that "weren't in the vial" and therefore didn't even exist. Question

(Um, why didn't I do anything at the time? The same day I was discharged I fell and hit the back of my head resulting in a very bad concussion, one that I still have symptoms from to this day.)
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:12 pm

Those 13 pills were probably your "donation" to the "jones" of one of the staff. My sister has had to use substantial pain meds for the last 15 years for her back. One bad side effect that I haven't seen mentioned here is that it impairs (slows) her bowel function. That is a constant problem for her, made worse as she can't walk very far.

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:08 pm

19&41 wrote:Those 13 pills were probably your "donation" to the "jones" of one of the staff. My sister has had to use substantial pain meds for the last 15 years for her back. One bad side effect that I haven't seen mentioned here is that it impairs (slows) her bowel function. That is a constant problem for her, made worse as she can't walk very far.
That is one of the worst problems facing anyone on narcotic medication. It causes toxins to build up and that makes even more problems.
My doctor recently put me on a high dose of Colace, 6 a day, and the arthritis medication Meloxicam, generic for Morbic. A side effect of this drug is a loose stool. It has been a miracle. Now I have a decent bowel movement everyday and it has made a MAJOR difference in my life. I used to have some kind of problem, like tired all the time, every couple of weeks. I haven't had any since I've moved in June.
Tell her to talk to her doctors. And if they can't help check on line. There ARE things that can be done.
(Apologizes to anyone that consider this a crude subject for this forum)
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:49 pm

That, I will. Her doctor is a good listener.

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:42 pm

In this thread, and in posts on other threads, I have referred to an overly restrictive drug law passed by the Ky. legislature last year. It's purpose was admittedly admirable- rid the state of so called "Pill Mills". However the law was so vague that a veterinarian would need a prescription from a doctor before administering emergency pain medication to an animal.

I was one of many who personally contacted both the Attorney General, Jack Conway, and the governor, Steve Beshear, about the problems this law caused for people with legitimate pain problems. Only Conway's office responded; with the usual political yada yada.

However- A 70 point headline on the front page of yesterday's Courier Journal stated-
"PRESCRIPTION DRUG LAW GETS UPDATES"
The article goes on to say"...to more strictly focus on pill abuse and ease requirements on patients..."

So they had to pass a law to change the law that never should have been passed in the first place. The problem with doctors over-prescribing medication should be addressed by law enforcement, using programs already in place, not by politicians trying to get re-elected and who are overly influenced by media hype.

So there- (I'm glad I got that off my chest)
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingBear on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:55 pm

More and more states are going to legalize/control medical marijuana. Would you consider this if nothing else would work?

I am going through some fibro-neurological problems with my feet. Numerous hip replacements mess with the nerves. I finally got the VA to give me something on the order of Elevil(sp?), one of the older drugs out that helped. He called it something else but referred to it as Elevil for clarity. It hasn't come in the mail yet but am looking forward to something that helps. When nerve hassles occur the pain trumps all else.

Tonym
DancingBear
DancingBear

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2013-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:24 pm

terrydec wrote:In this thread, and in posts on other threads, I have referred to an overly restrictive drug law passed by the Ky. legislature last year. It's purpose was admittedly admirable- rid the state of so called "Pill Mills". However the law was so vague that a veterinarian would need a prescription from a doctor before administering emergency pain medication to an animal.

I was one of many who personally contacted both the Attorney General, Jack Conway, and the governor, Steve Beshear, about the problems this law caused for people with legitimate pain problems. Only Conway's office responded; with the usual political yada yada.

However- A 70 point headline on the front page of yesterday's Courier Journal stated-
"PRESCRIPTION DRUG LAW GETS UPDATES"
The article goes on to say"...to more strictly focus on pill abuse and ease requirements on patients..."

So they had to pass a law to change the law that never should have been passed in the first place. The problem with doctors over-prescribing medication should be addressed by law enforcement, using programs already in place, not by politicians trying to get re-elected and who are overly influenced by media hype.

So there- (I'm glad I got that off my chest)

Here's hoping that will get that sorry law off your chest too! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:11 pm

Someone mentioned medical pot.

I already know that this statement is going to cause a lot of controversy -Alright, more than a lot--
But I'm for legalizing all recreational drugs. If we did in one single instant we would wipe out drug cartels, return fathers to families and eliminate robbery for drugs.

I know, I know-it wouldn't be simple and there would be an immediate need for social programs to deal with this. But seriously, wouldn't that be cheaper than building more prisons, dealing with the many deaths from drug cartels and death from poorly cut drugs and it would eliminate the "Cool" feeling that draws many young people into illegal activity.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingBear on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:40 pm

The doctors almost killed me with their damn pain med's. I'd like an alternative to their chemicals. If one ever says the word Fentanyl I'll cripple them with my cane.
TonyM
DancingBear
DancingBear

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2013-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:16 pm

This country is the most over medicated and undereducated in the world. I get sent for an MRI for a broken finger. Why? Because the machine is owned by a consortium of physicians.
Are doctors influenced by drug manufacturers? Yes. I have personal experience, (I was under the desk when the drug representative offered a reward for writing a lot of Keflex).
Part of the fault, as is usually the case, belongs to us. We demand some kind of medication to substantiate our malady. I.e. We don't want to leave the doctor without something in our hand.

And I'll be the first to admit that I too, am at fault. I take two different medications to control a mental condition. I take another medication because those two raise my blood pressure. I take two different medications to get a full night's sleep and one to keep my thyroid under control. Another one is a narcotic medication for severe chronic pain, and two more to control the constipation they cause. As you can see, half of them are to counter the effects of the rest. These drugs do actually control real problems, that doesn't mitigate the fact that those are a LOT of drugs.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:55 pm

Another issue is PHys are gun shy if they don't prescribe.
If Nancy comes in and says I want that medicine for Left toe stubitis that I saw on TV. If they don't give it to her and she trips and stubs her left toe well she will come back and sue.
simplex1040
simplex1040

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:40 pm

simplex1040 wrote:Another issue is PHys are gun shy if they don't prescribe.
If Nancy comes in and says I want that medicine for Left toe stubitis that I saw on TV. If they don't give it to her and she trips and stubs her left toe well she will come back and sue.

Good point.
However I had two exceptions to that rule and probably should have taken action.
The first was during a operation on my nose. A nurse used the wrong antiseptic which got in my eye. I woke up from sedation screaming in pain. This went on for over 4 hours. Trust me, the hospital was tip toeing around it, wondering what I would do. I realized that it was an honest mistake and let it go.

The second I've discussed already. A doctor almost killed me with the wrong prescription, and the situation was aggravated by incorrect entries in my chart. At the time I was advised not to pursue it, probably because I would have owned him. Now I am dealing with it again because it is interfering with my ability to get accepted by a pain management clinic. Fortunately my nephew was in attendance and can attest to what really happened. However it still hasn't been resolved.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:43 pm

Terry,
yeah there are exceptions to it.

I still think that Kasper law is punishing the wrong folks.
simplex1040
simplex1040

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum