Should I go get this GE J-805?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Should I go get this GE J-805? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should I go get this GE J-805?

Post by terrydec on Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:16 pm

These were defiantly 'top of the line' speakers. Make sure that you check the tweeters. Sometimes they get blown when some goober cranks the amp up until it distorts.
I worked at this one service company that put a 12 volt automobile bulb in series with the speaker to act as a limiter.
I thought it was weird because it should alter the load on the crossover. I would think that as it got hotter the resistance would change and alter the response; but it seemed to work.
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Should I go get this GE J-805? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should I go get this GE J-805?

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:44 pm

They are good speakers, and do very well. Just dont over drive them and be sure to change the cap in them. Although they may sound fine now, but after you recap they will sound better. What is nice about the 60's is the tweeters are enclosed in there own box inside,and that just makes them sound better. The cabinet is also filled with sand to help them sound better and not vibrate & rattle. That is why each speaker weighs 40-42 pounds. Mine had 12 mf @ 150 volts caps in them and if you put a 10 and 2.2 @ 100 volts(no need for fancy expensive caps, i spent 2.04 on mine) in parallel back in you should be good for around 200 watts, although they do not need near that power. I'm putting a clean 60WPC to mine and they sound great.
Ive heard of putting 12VDC bulbs in line with speakers to limit the power going to the speakers but ive never done it. It is probably a good idea if you think you may be pushing them too hard, so you dont ruin good speakers.. as replacement woofers and tweeters are not easy to find for the 60's.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 648
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:09 am

Don't forget that the caps in crossovers should be non-polarized electrolytic.

A great place for speaker parts is Parts Express. They usually run an article about building a speaker in the catalog.

I once had a pair of AR towers. They were about 3' tall and 6" square and had one 5"down firing speaker. I don't know how but they sounded great.

For years Bose made some of the best speakers, especially the 300 and 600 series. Of course you had to have the powered crossover. Now they make crap relying on their past good name.

Note: What blows speakers is never too much power but not enough. When you crank an amp into distortion the power soars way over the rated output and "pop" -no speaker.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:25 am

Upgrading a pair of AR-2A's
Should I go get this GE J-805? - Page 2 M

Should I go get this GE J-805? - Page 2 M

That's not me. It's my friend Joe who owns the speakers. We installed a new L pad and caps
in each one.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:24 am

That is what i put in mine, were non polar and got them from parts express. I left the L-pads alone, bc they seem to work just fine. Just the crazy thing is i paid twice what i spent in shipping cost but that was my best option bc apparently fair radio doesnt carry non polar caps,mouser was too expensive and justradios didnt carry non polar either. . I never heard of AR, but a down firing speaker is good for bass response.
I never even consider Bose ever due to anything with that name being way overpriced. I believe Altec Lansing is the same way as Bose, used to have good stuff but now pretty much crapola.
I know under powering can blow speakers if it gets distorted enough and the signal clips too long. I almost always under power my speakers but never allow them to distort for very long. If they get distorted i will either adjust the bass down or reduce the volume until it clears up. BTW i push my model 60's with an Onkyo TX-21.. if you search my few post i have here you will see my speakers and receiver i have in another thread.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 648
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:20 pm

What I always loved was customer who had equalizers with the famous "Smile" setting. That means the bass and treble at max and the middle frequencies resembling a smile. That would explain why they kept blowing speakers. I always told people that there was no place in a consumer system for an equalizer. They should only be used in commercial PA systems or recording studios.

terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:07 am

What's new on the GE?
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4454
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Should I go get this GE J-805? - Page 2 Empty Safe and sound (Relatively)

Post by bczygan on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:24 pm

Bill Cahill wrote:What's new on the GE?
Bill Cahill

It's sitting in my red AstroVan alongside the house. Dry, but not warm. Lying on it's side on a soft blanket. Very busy with other things as I got a lot of stuff from the same estate and need to organize things. Big sleet storm tonight.

Got an old Fisher stereo that was driving those Wharfedale speakers. Gotta dig that out and look at it.

Bill

bczygan

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2013-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:30 pm

Ken g wrote:An equilizer is essential for getting the best sound out of average home equipment . I have used one for years . They compensate for all sorts of shortcomings from the equipment and room sizes .

The only reason speakers blow up is from the volume being turned up to far for the speakers .. period.

Thanks Ken for so succinctly making my point. Equalizers should only be left in the hands of someone with intelligence and a decent set of ears. Obviously a room with carpet and wall hangings will be much different from a bare room with wood floors, and accordingly needs to be adjusted by equalization. However it should not be used to “Get more boom outta my Fisher speakers”.

And yes, the volume being turned up too far, or beyond its rated output, will cause the amp to go into distortion, making the power ramp up exponentially, and exceed what the speakers can handle.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum