A Shark

Go down

A Shark Empty A Shark

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:31 pm

Gotcha, huh? Sorry, this thread is not about seafood.

We needed a vacuum sweeper for our house in Arizona. We have an Electrolux at home that we bought used in 1967 for $150. The only thing I have had to do to that thing in all these years was to replace the belt in the rug beater several times and we had to have a new hose in 1988. Naturally, Electrolux was our first choice for another unit. Not for $2180 is wasn't! Spending that kind of money for using it four months a year was ridiculous.

We were at Walmart one evening and so we walked over to the appliance department and found that they handle Shark vacuums. We had seen these advertised on tv and, for $138, figured one was worth a shot. I am impressed. Really impressed. The thing is lightweight and maneuverable. It will suck a grapefruit thru a soda straw. Instead of having to buy bags (the only downfall of Electrolux) it has a plastic dirt cannister that can be emptied and put into the dishwasher if you want to. I just rinse it out in the sink and then wipe it dry. There are two filters under the cannister that can be removed and cleaned. It is articulated like Dison, and will get close to walls, baseboards and under low tables, etc without scratching anything. The crevice tool is mounted high on the handle so that one does not have to stoop over to get the tool, a benefit for older people. If you allow the cannister to become too full, and the hose becomes clogged, simply empty the cannister and fire up the motor. It clears itself. The body is 90% "polymer resin" (plastic) and is equipped with a "double insulated" motor. The ONLY drawback is the cord. Too short (25 feet), so rewind mechanism, and only two wire and ungrounded. Our house has concrete floors and porcelain tile in most of the house. My wife complains she gets "bit" when she uses the machine barefooted. I make sure she plugs it in to GFCI outlets, and wear sneakers when operating it, and the problem has gone away. If one was used in a basement or a damp location, extra caution would be appropriate. I will freely admit that a $138 vacuum may not be appropriate for everyone, but it is an option to an expensive machine. Mine is a Shark Professional, model NV 355-26. Available at Walmart and other fine retailers nationwide.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

A Shark Empty Re: A Shark

Post by ChrisH664 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:32 am

A good vacuum is required for our house. 2 large dogs and 4 cats. So is a good carpet cleaner. We went halves $150 with our children several years back, for our Christmas present, on a $300 Dyson. Good investment. 5 yr warranty and in the 3rd year it threw loose a screw in the motor area making for an awful noise. Local repair shop fixed it under warranty no problems. Carpet cleaner I bought 6 months ago off CL for $15. 12 amp Hoover works great!!

Glad the Shark is working well for you. Remember that warranty card info though send it in.
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:32 pm

A "buzz" means only one thing. Somehow there is a problem with the ground, (Oh NO, I've said it- the most dreaded word in forum history), or the wires at the outlet might be reversed.
Every time I have had a problem with an appliance and checked the outlet with my LED tester there was something wrong. Either no ground or reversed wires. I had a customer one time that had a distinct "Tingle" whenever she used her freezer, (the appliance, not the top of the 'fridge). There was no way to move it and check the outlet because it weighed a ton. I took a chance and ran a wire from a screw to a cold water pipe, (I did make sure there wasn't a spark when I touched it). Problem solved.
(Those 3 LED outlet testers are worth every penny).
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1124
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:36 pm

BTW- My vacuum cleaners come from the alley. Usually they've lost a belt or are clogged. I check to make sure there aren't any bugs or scorpions. That's where I got my last two vacuums. They work great.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:39 pm

Our house out here was wired by union electricians, and the wiring was checked no less than three times by inspectors. I checked for a defective ground and found none. My guess is, based on past experience, that my wife is a good ground. She complains about getting "bit" on battery powered equipment. So unless I see sparks flying, I dismiss her claims as being of questionable origin. I have never gotten bitten, but I don't usually do housework barefooted. We looked at a Dison, and found it pretty expensive, and overpriced for the features we wanted. Alley finds are always the best deal. People tear stuff up and are too lazy to figure out what is wrong. They just go buy new. I don't worry about a warranty on a $138 machine. We have two dogs and three cats. Shark makes a rug shampooer that will be our next investment.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:54 pm

A factual review is a important tool when looking for the big-ticket items. I like to see them, both favorable and unfavorable. In most cases, I have been satisfied with items I have chosen that has included good reports. I've written a number of reviews for Amazon. They carry some very good items at good prices, but you can usually get good review info and these days that is valuable.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:43 pm

This Shark has two filters under the cannister. One is about an inch thick foam. The lower one is thin, but is woven material of some kind. Both can be removed, washed and dried, and returned to service. I do this each time I empty the cannister. There are no dust emissions from this vacuum. These filters are available new, and probably should be replaced from time to time. There is nothing under these filters. Just the impeller on the motor.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:32 pm

I had a non bag vacuum and every time I cleaned it by dumping the contents into the outside trashcan I got a face full of dust. No more! Bagged vacuums now and a lot less asthma.

By the way about your wife's feeling electricity, that's not doubtful, if she has moist skin like me it is true. I can feel tingling from a car battery across my forearm and have very low skin resistance. I know one person who would check light bulb sockets to see if there was current. The skin on his fingers was tough and thick. He said a slight tingle, that's all.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 904
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:50 pm

Yeah, it can get dusty emptying the cannister, that's for sure. I never considered the possibility that different skin types were more susceptible to "tingling" than others. My grandpa used to kill his F-30 Farmall by putting his fingers on the spark plug wires then touching his elbow to the frame. He invited me to grab his elbow one time when doing this. I was standing barefoot on bare ground. I only fell for that deal once. Thanks for the input.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:58 pm

I think that humidity might also be a factor. I have items around the house that I sometimes feel but not always.

BTW- Yes there really are people who disrupt electronic devices. I know one. I swear that when ever he's around stuff just acts weird. When He's gone-back to normal.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down