Wisdom tooth extraction...the upsell...grrrrrr!!

Go down

Wisdom tooth extraction...the upsell...grrrrrr!! Empty Wisdom tooth extraction...the upsell...grrrrrr!!

Post by ChrisH664 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:06 am

So here I sit at 2:50AM Saturday in pain due to a bottom right wisdom tooth giving me a pain level of 7. First pain problems started 2 weeks ago so the next day I made an appointment with my dentist who recommended extraction. OK fine. Oral surgeon wait list to see was 10 days. Ugh!! This past Thursday was my appointment and it was just a consultation. WHAT!!! It needs to come out..I am here...take it out!! "Oh no you're not prepped for it" was the response. They need a CBC of which I need to make an appointment with my regular Dr.

So then I asked this: 25 years ago my bottom left wisdom tooth was causing intense pain and the oral surgeon then took it out the same day. One visit. Why so different now? The reply I got was an abrubt "things and processes are different now". Hmmm.

So then the surgeon proceeded to tell me my top two wisdom teeth look pretty good but would be a good idea for extraction also. What the heck? He's upselling me??? No was my response. Now I have to wait until March 11th for the surgery. More than 1 month after first problems arose.

One question I had was the amount of ibuprofen I am taking per day to stop the pain. I've taken as much as 3200 mg (16 pills) in one day for a bad day. He wants me to keep it to no more than 2400mg/day. Eesshh!! Wouldn't wanna prescribe some pain meds eh? Probably thinks I am a "pill seeker" now.

Enough ranting. Sorry. Just ticks me off a bit. 3AM now and the 7 ibuprofens I've taken since midnight have cut the pain down to a 2 or so so I think I'll try and catch some Z's.

BTW a couple other oral surgeon offices I contacted the waiting list is longer. Note to self: should have been an oral surgeon.
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Wisdom tooth extraction...the upsell...grrrrrr!! Empty Re: Wisdom tooth extraction...the upsell...grrrrrr!!

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:19 am

I know. I'm on 8 of those pills per day to cut my back, and, hip pain, every day. Don't tell me. I know.. I'm living dangerously. No choice. Medicare does almost nothing now, and, Drs. are dropping it fast in Fl.
Hope you get well soon.
Bill Cahill

Back then, Dentists would work with you on bills. Now, they won'teven look at you. I'm stuck in that rutt.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4399
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Wisdom tooth extraction...the upsell...grrrrrr!! Empty Re: Wisdom tooth extraction...the upsell...grrrrrr!!

Post by ChrisH664 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:37 am

My "regular" dentist does work with us on our bill. Full-time busy practice in a town of around 1000 people nearby. The oral surgeon in the bigger town of 45K the new patient "information" sheet was more like a credit application.
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:31 am

my hearing started to suffer with large amounts of ibuprofen so be careful. (it came back) I had a fever i could not knock one time.
simplex1040
simplex1040

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by sprman on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:03 pm

I would find someone to pull it screw the games they play....Had all mine pulled years ago ,glad i did was 400.00 for everything!Theres no need to suffer start looking for someone who will pull it .Sprman : /

sprman

Number of posts : 323
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingBear on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:58 pm

18 months ago I was going downhill fast and they couldn't figure out why. The process is still going on but one thing that allowed them to at least make an attempt to get to the root of the problem was the removal of my teeth.

They'd set aside my dental hassles until my hip situation straightened out but it finally got too bad. The Dr's should have talked with the dentist months before because by the time they got in there it was pretty bad. I had them all pulled last Xmas (2011).

I am very happy that my infection situation has been dealt with but the intensity of the attack from within coupled with the infection in my hip has caused my immune system to shut down. They are trying steroids to jump-start things but the last test results haven't been great.

If you have a problem in the teeth don't let pain med's cover up something serious. Refusal to deal with a dental problem has cost me several years of my life and all they had to do was talk to each other. I could see the look on the faces when the doc read the report on the dental infection. They set up in the body like nowhere else. I now have to sweat every friggin' cough or sneeze. I'm 62. I probably won't see 65.

On the teeth removal...I'd do anything to go back to a world where I could eat normally. I had good dentures made, the bottoms with studs, and they work well. But I hate it. I'd give a week to eat a bowl of crunchy cereal or bite into an apple. The taste loss is different in people. Mine was significant.

During a drug-induced dental procedure I once had a flashback of being on a flight line in a jungle somewhere and thinking a trip back to the step-van for wire-strippers would be ridiculous. It happened daily. #18 Mil Spec wire can really mess with teeth enamel.

Any other "teeth-strippers" out there?

TonyM
DancingBear
DancingBear

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2013-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:01 pm

Since I am a cancer patient, with radiation to my head and neck, I have to go to a "Special Patients" dentist, who works only on radiated cancer patients. He pulled my wisdom teeth when he pulled my regular teeth, due to the effects of radiation. He practices at the Unversity of Kansas, a teaching hospital. He pulled all my teeth, including wisdom, and fitted me for dentures, the whole shot for $1800. Maybe if you can find a "teaching hospital" in your area, you could save some money. I wish I had found this dentist years ago. He pulled all my teeth in one setting, under general anesthesia. Kind of a weird feeling, going from all natural teeth to none in one fell swoop. BTW, I tolerate ibuprofen extremely well. I took five 800 mg horse pills a day and got along just fine. Each person has a different tolerance level. IMHO, ibuprofen is the best drug ever invented. My dentures fit extremely well, and, like any prosthetic device, there is a learning curve. I do not miss my natural teeth. No more toothaches that brought tears to my eyes. Put my teeth in a cup, pour in some powder, and I am done until morning. I can eat anything I want. I can't strip wire with dentures, however. I had to buy a pair of wirestrippers. Tony, just what you are going thru is why I lost my teeth. Too much risk of a super infection. I hope you get along okay. Modern medicine can truly perform miracles at times. My still being here is testamony to that.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisH664 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:04 pm

Commentary appreciated. There are 6 oral surgeons within a 70 mile radius of me and I contacted 4 including my doctor giggles. Other 3 had longer waiting periods.

With the one I have problems with it was exposed for a few years. No troubles. Then one day the top came off of it. Broke in half. The nerve root is not exposed but cold water makes it hurt pretty good. I can feel the jagged top with my tongue. It's deep down in the gum so some slicing and dicing is needed. I took the "knock me out doc" route so that's why they need the CBC I guess.

Regards to 2400 to 3200 mg intake of ibuprofen. He was ok with it because of my size. 6' 6" 250lbs.
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingBear on Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:25 pm

One facet to this is very odd but worthy of note. When they pulled my teeth they finally realized (duh?) that my body doesn't produce much moisture...anywhere. I have had them seal all my tear ducts up so I can retain fluid on my corneas. This messed up an RK I had in 1988. When they tried to get fluid from my hip joints via a long-ass needle they failed to get up any liquid. There are several more things dealing with my body that have been magnified due to the lack of moisture. One is a very bad case of osteo-arthritis that has hit all my finger joints, both hips, a knee or two and several other nasty places to have stuff.

I just never thought each person "lubricated" in such a varying manner until they finally hit on this. If your mouth is always dry it causes some odd problems. Moisture is really needed to keep these things going.

I believe we are experiencing many different problems due to all the chemicals today. I worked on clean-room equipment for 20 years and the Air Force before that and every job involved solvents, photo-resist and other odd substances. If we add all these to the chemicals coming in off the food shelves and drugs it explains (to me) all the weird things going on with peoples health. I just never pictured hearing there was a problem with my immune system.

This gets messed up when the insurance companies dictate what ailments they will cover. With all the variations on crap they remain glued to one synopsis. They plan to jumpstart my system with steroids and are on the first of three massive doses. It began to work (bloodwork) but has stalled again. I've been told if I get it started I'll be fine. They claim the success rate is high but I don't see any stats to support that.

I kinda strayed off the subject but needed to rant (and I'm on roids). Teeth are pretty important but we often don't realize how much they affect the rest of the body.

Mentally, I've never been in better shape. Weird.

Tony
DancingBear
DancingBear

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2013-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:32 pm

Radiation also killed my siliva glands. I had a severe case of dry mouth, thought to be permanent. Most survivors of throat cancer who had radiation suffer this malady. Mine, for some reason as yet unkown to anyone, seem to be coming back. I now have enough moisture in my mouth that they are no longer concerned about the "super infection" that, in my case at least, could have proven fatal. I still need some kind of liquid when I eat bread and pasta and things like that, but I can actually eat solid food, which, again, I was not supposed to ever be able to do. I was alleged to be attached to a feeding tube and downing gallons of Boost for the rest of my like. The good Lord, in His infinite wisdom, proved this prediction wrong. The doctors are in awe of this development. It NEVER happens like this. Usually the dry mouth gets worse. Dry mouth is actually a greater promoter of tooth and gum disease than sugary food, if you want to believe that. Good luck and hang in there. Miracles still happen.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:48 pm

I had my first 2 (upper) wisdom teeth pulled in the Army. they gave pain medication and it was raining while getting back to the barracks and the label got slightly wet and blurred. I took two of the capsules and in a while I came to in the hospital. I've been careful about prescriptions since then. My sister just saw the dentist and among other things, he recommended Biotene to her for her dry mouth. The dentist really did well with her. I'm glad of that as she is deathly afraid of dentists as most of our childhood dentists seemed to favor the Sir Laurence Olivier (Is it safe?) method of dentistry. I found one here that keeps pain to a minimum.

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:18 pm

I know a guy who started getting sick. He started loosing weight and looked like a corpse his wife said. The doctors had no clue until he went to a dentist because he had pain. The dentist said he had some kind of infection in his gums and the only way to heal them was to take the teeth out. He did and he started doing better. So they can cause issues. That poor fellow was sick from it for two years and his regular doctor thought he wouldn't last six months before they found out what it was.

As far as my wisdom teeth I had all 6 taken out at once. Yes six, I had two extra in my mouth on the bottom of my mouth that were laying down under my gums. They knocked me out with a IV and did it all at once. I woke up realizing what a Jimi Hendrix concert was like on LSD. I was hearing his music in my head as everything was in slow motion. My wife had to stop on the way home to check the surgery and she said I was getting out in slow motion. After a couple of days I was back at work.

My teeth are not the best but I do try to take the best care of them I can. One time I had kidney stones and the local doctor wanted me to wait a couple of weeks until he got back from his vacation. I went to another one out of town and he set me up for laser surgery to remove them ASAP. He got me lined up first the next day he had surgery. I was getting in bad shape. Never wait if you can get something done. Good luck with the teeth and like the others said find someone who will take care of you if he can't.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sal on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:56 am

I am almost 54 years old, when I was 27 more or less I went to a new dentist for a checkup and cleaning. On the side of me was my chart with a X on my 4 wisdom teeth. I asked what did those X's mean, the dental hygienist said the dentist wants to remove my wisdom teeth. I asked why, and the answer was so they wouldn't give me trouble in the future. I said I am 27 and they have not bothered me so they will stay in my mouth, and they still are in my mouth. That was the last time I went to that dentist.

Sal

Sal

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum