Pants legs

Go down

Pants legs Empty Pants legs

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:51 pm

Why do young people, mostly young women, wear their pants so long that they walk on the ends of the legs? Not only are the pants legs all ragged, but the dirt from the dragging pants transfers to their shoes and socks. Very unattractive. And, in McDonald's, the young women have their shoes and pants legs soaked with grease and dragging the floor. Not at all attractive when one is trying to "dine" if that term applies to Mickey D's. A side effect of walking one one's pants legs, is that the pants are drawn down, with "plumber's butt" as the result. Equally unattractive. When I was a kid, I never was allowed out of the house with my pants legs not even with the heels of my shoes. Never. Not even to work in the garage.

Would anyone care to enlighten me?

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4925
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Pants legs Empty Re: Pants legs

Post by N7ZAL on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:49 pm

Yep, welcome back to the future. Crying or Very sad
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:35 am

Hey remember, duck butts, crew cuts, wimps, jelly rolls, upturned collars, penny loafers, tight jeans, taps on shoes, leather motor cycle jackets, beehive hairdos, flattops, mohican haircuts, blue-suede shoes.
All just to fit in to the in-crowd.

I can remember my Mom back in Wisconsin giving a road worker a wolf whistle as we drove by because of his butt almost totally exposed whilst bending over to do some work. Yes MY MOTHER of all people. I was about 7 years old, and that was 59 years ago..... Laughing
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Delk on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:02 am

Correct you are sir......those were the days we are all remember and wish we could return to. I went into a "what not" store last week with my granddaughter (13) and ask if they had any 45's......My granddaughter asked me why I wanted to buy a gun. I tried to explain but not sure she understood. I'm afraid the kids this days are a lost generation. Everything is disposal, nothing is made to last and there is little worth keeping to pass along to them.
Sad!
Ben Delk
Ben Delk

Number of posts : 441
Registration date : 2012-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:51 am

I guess I need to find something else to worry about.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:24 pm

Such repellent ways are how young folk exhaust the remaining childlike cuteness from their existence before becoming anonymous adults.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisH664 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:18 pm

Unfortunately it's a fad. High school in the early 80's the girls would do a tight roll, maybe a 1/2", of the cuff of 501 blue jeans.

Now I have heard and it might be an "urban legend" that the baggy pants and hanging halfway down the rear was originated in the nations' prison system. It means you were "available" for male companionship.
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:11 pm

I weigh 178 lbs and I'm 5'7". My inseam is a 28 and I can't find anything shorter than a 29 or usually 30. ALL of my pants have frayed cuffs. And you can't buy a pair of jeans that doesn't say "Under the belt". Women, especially young girls, have the same problem. It seems like all clothes are made for large people. I have one pair of black jeans that are 28 and 'skinny' fit, as opposed to 'relaxed' or 'regular'. They fit great and make me look great. They cost $35 and I only wear them on special occasions.

P.S. Fashion hint- NEVER wear black if your animals have light fur. I have a roll of duct tape in the truck just for picking up Rocky's hair off the seat before I get in.

I have another question about current fads. Why do young girls make EVERY sentence a question? It drives me crazy. I listen to a classical music show featuring young talent called "Over the Top". All I hear is:
" My name is Mary? I play the cello? I like to practice every day? I hope to play in an orchestra?"

One last note. When you go to the mall count how many stores cater exclusively to women and how many to men.
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:21 pm

Who goes to malls anymore? The four that are within driving distance to me are dead now.
Tony V
Tony V

Number of posts : 714
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:38 pm

Terry, with all due respect, the fact that young women walk on their pants legs has nothing to do with their size. I have seen girls who don't weigh 90 pounds sopping wet who wear a size 0 walking on their pants legs and displaying plumber's butt. It must be some perverted sense of fashion. There is no other logical reason to ruin both your pants, footwear and fashion by so doing. And, while we are "philosophizing" about fashion, why do girls wear those horrible Converse basketball sneakers instead of penny loafers or white Keds or something decent? And knee socks. And corduroy mini skirts. Driving their dad's red Pontiac Bonneville convertible, a 1966 with 421 and tri-power, wearing eight lug wheels. All the time wearing their boyfriend's class ring with angora fuzzy yarn wrapped around it. Methinks I just answered my own question. Time marches on, I guess.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:59 pm

I think someone is caught in a time warp. Razz

My favorite is guys who wear shorts so low that their underware, (or even butts-ugh), show. They have to hold them up with one hand.
It must be hard to rob a liqueur store like that.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:04 pm

BTW- I think all girls are cute no matter what they wear, especially if they have a few well placed 'rips' in their jeans Wink .
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:05 pm

Yes, I'm a confirmed D.O.M.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingBear on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:17 pm

I'm scared to go to the mall. I really am. I even get nervous while playing cards at the senior center. Some idiot with a gun...and i'm a slow-moving ancient mariner who has a difficult time finding and achieving exits.

I have a story somewhere about kids and clothing. I'll see if I can find it. The Oregon thing is every male below the age of forty wears shorts, parka and sneakers all winter. (All they do is play fantasy sports and computer games.)

Tony
DancingBear
DancingBear

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2013-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:07 pm

Ken G, the "new look" will arrive at your location in about 50 years! Laughing Not that that is bad. For me, no pants want to stay where they belong due the shape of my belly. Even a belt doesn't work. They still slide down. Only two options I can see. One is to shrink my belly which is not likely to happen or go to an Idaho solution and wear suspenders. I'm going shopping! You guys have the idea out there.

Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 703
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:25 pm

Suspenders? I like that- a lot.
Sort of like Red Green, or Garrison Keeler?
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:56 pm

Okay, guys. I have officially gotten the lowdown on why young women walk on their pants legs.

I work part-time and work with a young woman named Sherry. She is 28 and is always dressed neatly and with every stitch in place. I asked her to fill me in on why women walk on their pants legs. This subject just so happens to be a pet peeve of hers, so she gave me an ear full!

Men's pants are sold by both the waist size and the inseam size. For example, 38-30 or 38-32, etc. This allows for a fairly good fit without alteration. Women's pants, on the other hand, are sold by size. Such as size 8, size 6, etc. They are available in short, medium and long lengths. The unfortunate part about that is that there is no universal specification on just how long "short, medium, and long" really is. So, most times, the exact length required is unavalable. In the "olden days" (like the 1970's and before. Sherry's specs, not mine) women could sew and actually owned sewing machines. When they would buy a pair of pants and they were too long, they would simply hem the pants shorter in order to get a good fit. Sherry's grandmother (she's old-62!) has a sewing machine and hems Sherry's pants so they will fit. Since most women do not know how to sew, they just walk on their pants legs. Since most everyone does the same thing, there is no social stigma or "fashion faux pas" associated with being a sloppy dresser. I pointed out that in the "olden days" girls and women actually wore DRESSES instead of pants. The only women who wore pants were out slopping the hogs or cutting firewood or something like that. Sherry found this notion most repugnant.

So there you have it. A shortage of sewing machines and the knowledge of how to operate same brings us millions of dirty, ragged pants legs.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:13 pm

Here in Georgia, there are alteration shops where one can take their pants to be hemmed to the proper length. Being an old timer, That's the way I do it. I guess any more that is like going to the barber for a haircut as opposed to cutting it all off with a safety razor.

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Great answer WC and probably right. I still think they like the look of chewed off and shredded on the bottoms but what do I know. My wife sews all the time it is her hobby with very expensive computer controlled sewing machines. She really moans when having to shorten my jeans. It is just below her. I have to reminder how much money was spent on those machines and she should not complain about shortening my damn jeans.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Great answer WC and probably right. I still think they like the look of chewed off and shredded on the bottoms but what do I know. My wife sews all the time it is her hobby with very expensive computer controlled sewing machines. She really moans when having to shorten my jeans. It is just below her. I have to reminder how much money was spent on those machines and she should not complain about shortening my damn jeans.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:52 pm

Gee- if somebody can sew jeans I have work for them.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:10 am

My grandmother's pride and joy was her Singer sewing machine. It was housed in a quarter-sawn oak cabinet, sat in one corner of her knotty-pine panelled front porch. I was never allowed to touch her sewing machine. She would make curtains, pillow cases, and even combine canvasses for Grandpa's old Massey-Harris combine. She made lots of my clothes until I was in high school nearly. A bunch of ladies in the community would get together on Tuesdays and sew for "the less fortunate", whoever that was. Nowadays, nobody has a sewing machine or a steam iron. Remember those? They were a big deal back in the day. The "cell phone crowd" probably has no idea that they exist, and have no idea how to use one. I guess they can wear a wrinkled shirt to go with their ragged legged pants.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:57 am

Well, I learned sewing techniques (both by hand and with a machine) in 7th grade home ec. This was in junior high like a million years ago ('93/'94). It was actually a requirement apart of how they blocked the curriculum so there was a good number of guys in there with me. We may not have been Martha Stuarts, but we got by. My stuffed football project came out well. I remember one guy I knew managed to some how jam-up his sewing machine with a mass of thread and needle. I tried to help him out, I think we eventually got it...poor machine! I think there was quite a few mechanical failures back then, possibly due to distractions...there was some hot girls in that class, no long pant legs on 'em, just short shorts. Very Happy
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:31 am

Well, I never learned to sew worth a darned, but, I like the old fashionned cuffs myself.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4454
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down