Sleep Texting

Go down

Sleep Texting Empty Sleep Texting

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:03 am

can you believe this;
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57569176/teens-have-started-sleep-texting/

I don't understand texting at all, I'm getting beat up everyday because I refuse to text and have texting blocked on all my cell phones. I use a blue tooth headset and continue to work or drive while talking to someone. I see people stop what they are doing to read a text and then their thumbs are busy texting back. Please tell me how this is efficient?

Back to top Go down

Sleep Texting Empty Re: Sleep Texting

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:07 pm

The oddest feature of texting is that it is done on a telephone. Why not just dial the person's number and talk to them? Texting is a "kid" thing. Like eating goldfish when we were kids. Or turning over outhouses. Or stealing watermelons. Or putting old milk cows in the hayloft. Or putting Smitty mufflers on your old beater powered by a flathead V-8. Texting is the current fad of youth. We older people think it is strange and unnecessary. It probably is. But we older people do things that kids think is strange. Like worry about saving for retirement. Or buying a second home. Or the high cost of health care. Or watching our spouse get old and their (or our) health failing. Texting is a generational thing. One possible side effect is that schools do no teach cursive writing any longer. And text talk spelling is dumbing down a generation that has no extra smarts to spare. Does that sound like something your grandfather may have said in, oh, 1965 or so?

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:32 pm

My wifes nephew married this woman who had a teen boy. That boy can text on his phone with the phone in his pocket. He continuosly texts all the time.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:44 am

Well texting is nice for people that have pre paid cell phones, I'll tell ya why.. When you can only afford a prepaid cell phone to put time on it for talking will cost you 1.00 per day once you make your first intial call for that day. Sometimes it will also cost you so many cents per minute but if you make a call to a person on the same network it does not cost for any minutes. However, you can buy phone cards that only allow you enough credit for texting. If you use verizon's prepaid service you can buy a 10.00 card that will allow you to text verizon numbers unlimited times and other carriers upto 250 times, that card last one month. All carriers all have similar plans, but verizon's is the best.(that is the carrier i'm talking about) Also sometimes if you only need to say a few short things to a person, sometimes its more convenient to just text. Not to mention alot of contract plans include unlimited texting for a small fee each month and when you only have a certain amount of daytime minutes its actually cheaper to text especially if you only have a few short things to say. If you cant tell, i'm a texter. However i cheat, i do not currently own a cell phone so i text from my google voice account while at my computer. Yes, i can also make phone calls with my google voice number through my Gmail account page but sometimes i just rather text.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:24 am

texting will never replace nuances needed for clear understanding of emotions. Its much easier to talk one on one, then to text, and is faster. Unless people are afraid of personal contact and that is their problem and crutch.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:45 am

Yeah, that is true. However some people can type pretty dang fast on a phone. I can type faster on a numerical keypad letter by letter then on a full qwerty keypad. Some people may be afraid of personal contact or just the fact they text by choice. I personally text by choice, especially when replying to CL ads, my own included. Mainly bc its easier to just say "hey i want ur item and will you take x amount for it?" they will text back and say yes or no then you decide to take it anyways and say " i'll meet you at x place at x time" No need for calling unless you need to ask lots of questions. I will take calls for certain things but mainly like text. However i should clarify i have been texting before it became a trendy fad everyone does. I think i first started texting in 2002 or 2003 then not too many people texted.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Pond on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:44 am

tuberadiogeek wrote:Yeah, that is true. However some people can type pretty dang fast on a phone. I can type faster on a numerical keypad letter by letter then on a full qwerty keypad. Some people may be afraid of personal contact or just the fact they text by choice. I personally text by choice, especially when replying to CL ads, my own included. Mainly bc its easier to just say "hey i want ur item and will you take x amount for it?" they will text back and say yes or no then you decide to take it anyways and say " i'll meet you at x place at x time" No need for calling unless you need to ask lots of questions. I will take calls for certain things but mainly like text. However i should clarify i have been texting before it became a trendy fad everyone does. I think i first started texting in 2002 or 2003 then not too many people texted.

Linguistic genocide.
Ron Pond
Ron Pond

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Delk on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:21 am

Not sure what all the texting lingo abbrev. the kids use means but this will help with the texting messages in the future.

Texting codes for seniors

Young people have theirs,
now Seniors have their own texting codes:

* ATD- At the Doctor's

* BFF - Best Friends Funeral

* BTW- Bring the Wheelchair

* BYOT - Bring Your Own Teeth

* CBM- Covered by Medicare

* CUATSC- See You at the Senior Center

* DWI- Driving While Incontinent

* FWIW - Forgot Where I Was

* GGPBL- Gotta Go, Pacemaker Battery Low

* GHA - Got Heartburn Again

* LMDO- Laughing My Dentures Out

* LOL- Living on Lipitor

* OMSG - Oh My! Sorry, Gas

* TOT- Texting on Toilet

* WAITT - Who Am I Talking To?

Hope these help. GGLKI (Gotta Go, Laxative Kicking in!)

Ben Delk
Ben Delk

Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2012-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingBear on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:20 am

Our grandson brought a fifteen-year old classmate for a visit and to help me in the yard with a project. I got tired of the visitors lack of manners and attitude so at one point took his phone. I gave it back to his mother when she picked them up a week later. It didn't go down well and I'm somewhat "toxic" at family functions. However, I haven't attended an event since without somewhat sidling up to me and telling me quietly how they'd wanted to do it for quite a while.

I'm not sure of others but I am very nervous while driving. I live in a very rural area and see kids coming at me on two lane roads and I can see their lack of concentration. I've had to move over several times and I have come to loathe driving. I-5 scares the hell out of me. They text while doing 85 while tailgating.

TonyM
DancingBear
DancingBear

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2013-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:17 pm

The last time I texted anyone was in 1980 using a HF AM/SSB RATT rig mounted in a comm enclosure on a Dodge Power Wagon. I'd like to see someone sleep text on a ASR-33 Teletype. Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:45 pm

''took his phone. I gave it back to his mother when she picked them up a week later. It didn't go down well ''

Good next time throw his phone in the toilet .

Ken g

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:19 pm

My idiot sister lives with a washed-up, divorced preacher who got kicked out by his wife and his church for having an affair with my sister. My wife and I made the mistake of inviting them to our home for Thanksgiving two years ago. Not only did the preachers' three sticky-fingered kids try to steal anything not bolted down, but his oldest daughter thought she was Madonna. Orange and pink hair. Net stockings with knee-high sneakers. Holy cut-off jeans. And a cell phone implanted in her ear. They were there for a couple hours, and that girl had been on that phone the whole time. I asked her if she would kindly get off that phone and join the family for dinner. She had more important things to do. Then I gave her a choice. Can the phone and eat with us, or take both herself and her phone and sit in the car. She sat in the car. Her dad ordered her a pizza. What a putz. I bought a house in AZ and spent this past Christmas in peace.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:06 pm

In the ethernet, no one can tell one is a ill-mannered lout. I just can't take narcissists sharing their narcissism with me by being on a direct line to anywhere but where they are. Sometimes I think a jamming device could be as much fun as a laser pointer playing with a kitty.

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingBear on Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:28 pm

There are advantages to the typical senior loss of hearing.
Tony
DancingBear
DancingBear

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2013-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down