I'm too old for girls, but I'm too young for women'
I've looked all around and my hopes are a-dimmin'
I feel like a fish not allowed any swimmin'
And it makes a feller mean.
To see all the men makin' time with the ladies,
The high school kids at the show with their babies,
While I run around like a dog with the rabies,
They call me "Mr. In-between".

I was listening to this song just this morning and it got me to thinking. I truly am Mr. In-between.

I went into a shoe store the other day, a well-known national chain. I found a pair of sneakers that I liked, and did not have to mortgage the house to buy. They were not flashy, but did not look like an old guy either. I took my purchase to the check out stand, and the young lady there looked at me kinda funny. I asked her if there was a problem. She asked if I really wanted to purchase the shoes. I remarked that my only options were to not purchase them at all,to pay for them, or to steal them. Since I wanted a new pair of tennies, the first option was out. Since theft and shoplifting is still illegal, the third option was out. That left the second option, pay for them. Yes, says I, I want to purchase these sneakers. I have cash money, if a credit card was a problem. She told me that she really did not recommend the purchase. I asked her why. She said that the particular sneakers in question were worn by some street gang on the west side of town. I could get stabbed or worse if they saw me wearing their "colors." My house is on the southeast part of the metro area, and I felt that my chances of running into that street gang were negligible. The problem was the brand. DC. "Old guys can't buy DC shoes." Oh really? I left the store, empty handed and ticked off. Zappos was more than happy to take my money. AND I saved over $20, considering both the price was lower and I did not have to pay sales tax. My wife thinks that I look "hot" in my DC sneaks. (I sure hope that looking "hot" is good.)

I bought a new flat panel tv in October. No knobs. Just some TINY, well-hidden buttons and the remote to control the tv. They sent an owner's manual as thick as a Sears and Roebuck catalog (remember those?) There is a good reason for that. YOU NEED TO READ THE SILLY THING! I did not buy just a tv. Oh, no! I bought a SMART tv. But you need to read the owner's manual in order for me to be smart enough to tell it to be a tv. You have to set the picture settings, BY REMOTE. Then you have to tell it what it is going to monitor, USB, HDMI, A/V, antenna, cable, satellite. 720, 840, 1080i or 1080p. BY REMOTE. Then you have to make sure that the surround sound, DVR, DVD, Blue Ray and the satellite box will all talk to this smart tv. ALL BY REMOTE. And I have my old VCR hooked up so that I can record Perry Mason. Why not use the DVR, you ask. I CAN'T RUN THE DVR, and I can run the VCR. Perry Mason is on Channel 7.2. My VCR does not recognize digital channels, so I record Perry Mason on Channel 93. Do you see where I am going here? What happened to the good old days when you bought a TV, hooked up the antenna, plugged in the power plug, twisted the "on-volume" knob, waited 15 minutes, adjusted the horizontal hold, vertical hold, contrast, fine tuning, focus and turned the antenna with Vise-Grips to get the best picture. Back when things were simple. Back in the good old days. Phooey on all this electronic digital nonsense.

Then there is my cell phone. Pretty modern dude, I am. I got mine in 1998. Perfectly serviceable. Just a phone. No text, no internet, no music. Just a phone. I can make and receive telephone calls. From almost anywhere. The kids at work ask me if I have to crank it. TracFone feels sorry for me, and sends me coupons for a new phone. I absolutely refuse to sit by the hour like those kids at work do and stare at that little screen and listen thru ear buds to tinny sounding music. They hide behind stacks of pallets playing with their cell phones, texting, sexting and silly stuff like that. In my day, you carried a nickel in your penny loafers, and went to the laundry mat or a gas station if you needed to make a phone call. I have a pair of penny loafers, now over 30 years old, still with a nickel in them. I will probably have quite the challenge trying to find a pay phone however.

Now you have it. Mr. In-between. Somewhere between being a kid and being in the nursing home. Advertisers ignore me. Kids feel sorry for me and think that they need to be careful around me "Let me help you. You old guys could fall and break something, and I would have to shoot you, like a horse." Older people call me "young man." I can't operate a tv set anymore, and cannot buy sneakers unless they are "approved" for old guys. The new cars they build are bizarre. I can't buy a new Buick anymore with a 400+ cubic inch V-8. I guess I will just dust off the Jazzy, find my bottle of medicine and go take a nap. Maybe then I won't fall and break something.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Mr. In Between Empty Re: Mr. In Between

Post by Resistance is Futile on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:55 pm

that was good brings back my carefree youth. lol
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingBear on Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:30 pm

Nice rant, wildcat. I've a few myself.
Tony
DancingBear
DancingBear

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2013-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:26 pm

I have an older CRT tv, and love it dearly. I will watch it until one of us dies. My wife wanted the flat panel. Why should I wear black sneakers. I hate black sneakers. Especially the ones with Velcro closures. I wanted (and got) a pair of white DC sneakers with a blue "DC" logo. Where is it written that I can't do that? That young lady at the shoe store has not got that right, just because she thinks that I am "old." Phooey on her. Thanks for letting me rant.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:20 pm

'''Where is it written that I can't do that?'''

No where .

We are all different for sure . For example , i like solid black new ballance running/general use shoes & have no desire for any print on a shoe . The N.B. shoe is made to help relieve lower backk pain .
Tv sets , i like lcd sets . They dont take up much space , have a better picture . I always use a remote with any tv set . I do like the Burl Ives song though

Ken g

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:31 pm

I'm using a 12 yr.? old 23" Acmiral color tv. ONe of the last ones actually made in Japan befroe they switched the run to China.
It's got the same crummy platic button assembly which crumbled, and, they are no longer usable. But, I use remote control on it, and, to this day, It still shows a sharp, bright color picture.
I hate flat screen, and, don't care for hd tv at all.
MOst of the tv I watch is still brought to me from my cable system in NTSC format, though they do offer alot of hd stations for hd lovers. All the telephones I use in my house are old dial phones. One wall phone in my kitchen is a '65 model hard wired yellow wall phone. My desk phone in the living room is a Black 1959 phone.
I don't use cd players. I play dvd's only because on alot of the old stuff offered that's all they offer it on anymore.
Well, that, and, blue ray, which I refuse to even touch.......
I use real record plyaers.
I have real tape recorders, and, still have two working vhs video recorder cameras.
I do have vhs video recorders here also.
I like old. That's who I am.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4386

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingBear on Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:05 pm

New Balance shoes are great but the label can be misleading. I won't say names (rhythms with Bosco) but a major big-box sells these in bulk. Several years ago I began wearing them after a surgery and my wife was picking up my size 13's whenever she could find them. When I wore them down I grabbed a new pair until about six months ago.

We were trying to find out why the bottoms of my feet were having trouble. I have a few health issues (severe gout-extreme arthritis-low-clotting factor). My feet were bleeding underneath and the culprit wound up being the NB shoes. The popularity of these cheapies. according to the office, forced them to have them made in China and they are nothing like the original. The pressure spots underneath were causing my feet to bleed. A comparison proved amazing. The pattern had nothing to do with the contour of the feet but my feet were used to it.

I bought a pair of $40 NB from Big Five that changed the pressure points in my feet IMMEDIATELY. My wife thinks the old ones may make good planters. NB is a good brand and has helped us old geezers a lot but the cheap knock-offs can be a problem.

TonyM
DancingBear
DancingBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:02 pm

I still work part- time and wear black NB shoes to work. Dress code dictates black shoes. So I get my fill of that. And I will admit that wearing "hot" tennies to work is something that I need to avoid. I have good feet for my age, with no problems in that regard, but I am aware that you cannot spend too much money on footwear when you walk on concrete on a regualar basis.

IIRC, Wayne Walker and/or Mel Tillis wrote "MR. In-Between", and Burl Ives had a hit on it in 1963.

Regards

WC

Bill, I sure understand your distaste for technology. You are preaching to the choir, in my case at least. I have all four of the RCA CRT tv's I have ever owned. A 1953 model, a 1971 XL-100 25" console that still works, and I still use occasionally, a 1992 36" Home Theater console, and a 1996 36" "table model" that is in our family room. The wife wanted a flat panel to watch basketball on, and I obliged. I had no idea that there would be such drama trying to get a tv to actually be a tv. This is one of those times that a grandkid about 8 or 10 years old would come in handy. If some wise person were to start a Rent-A -Grandkid-For-A-Day type business, they would become a billionaire overnight helping old people program their technological wonders. We have had the flat panel tv for three months, and, just the other evening, I finally got the Blue Ray to work. I tried to use the USB from my computer to the tv, and that is a rant by itself, that I will spare you all from. I really don't see where the picture is any better on a 2012 RCA 50" HDTV than it is on any of the older CRT sets. In fact, in the case of the 1992 tv, it is not as good. The picture on the new tv is far better with satellite than with cable. We found that same thing on CRT sets, as well. The only advantage that I see to the new tv is that it is much lighter and easier to move than the older ones.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Delk on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:52 pm

Now that is about the best description of the world as we used to know that I have heard since I could hear or see or well do lots things. I appauled you "young man". If you want to feel really young again go to a senior citizen home....I here the women will look at you like you were 20 again.
Ben Delk
Ben Delk

Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2012-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:22 pm

You got to ac-cent-chu-ate the positive,
e-lim-i-nate the negative,
and latch on to the affirmative,
and don't mess with Mister In Between. Very Happy

I have a crt tv I bought used in 1996 (Philips). I use a Razr cell phone that I perform repairs on (2 new cases, 3 new sets of lenses, 1 new camera and 2 new hinge flexes). Velcro shoes are a blessing, as when I use laced shoes and my blood pressure in my feet changes, the laces will loosen and untie several times a day and elastic openings irritate my feet. I guess I am getting to be a old f**t by default as these habits and preferences are growing old with me.

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingBear on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:17 pm

I wonder if any of us over, say 60, text? My wife says she cannot get another of my standard LG cellphone that I've had for ten years. I won't use one of those "pod" things and I won't text.
TonyM
DancingBear
DancingBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:40 pm

I am 62 and I have never and will never text. Not only am I too stupid to learn all that text talk, I find those little buttons too small for older, arthritis ridden fingers. I do not twitter, skype, do not have any I-contraptions. If I want to talk to someone, why text them on a PHONE? Why not just dial their number and talk. When I was a kid, I would speak "sweet nothings" in my girlfriend's ear while we were cuddled up in the back seat of my car at the drive-in movie show. Nowadays, young men sit with their back to their girlfriend and text her. Phooey on that noise. It seems to me that is a step backward. I would also watch a movie on a screen half as big as a 40 acre field, and nowadays, kids watch a movie on a screen about an inch square and listen on earbuds. Phooey again. How is technology taking us forward in that regard? My grandfather thought that I was crass for not asking my father-in-law for his daughter's "hand" and just announced that we were getting married. He also thought that a house was not a proper dwelling without a parlor and a place to tie up your horse under the sycamore tree. Change always has generational boundaries, I reckon.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:46 pm

Text? Last text I read was an excellent story on Tom Sawyer. What a book!
No, I do not text, do not have a cell, no Ipod, nothing like that. Nope. Not me. Nope.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4386

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisH664 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:51 am

Nearly a 20 yr old 32" JVC TV here. Works fine...why replace it?

I have sent maybe 20 texts in my lifetime. Most of them short "I love you's" to my wife to help brighten her day. Awww gosh!!

I wear proudly jean shorts (jorts) with white socks and walking shoes by Skechers with a mix of black, grey and white colors.

I rarely buy myself new clothes. Recently I did buy 3 pair of relaxed fit Wrangler jeans off Walmart website for $47 shipping included. They accept Paypal and was a heckuva deal. Otherwise it's garage sale or thrift store clothing finds for me. Thrift stores do have excellent quality of clothing. I do buy new underwear and socks though. Used underwear = affraid

I cut my own hair. My old barber finally retired after 45 years so I just never got around to getting a replacement. $20 electric cutter with length attachments has saved me hundreds of $$ over the years.

I get a new pair of work boots each year from the company I work for. Shhh secret...I have used the same pair for 3 years now, Georgia boots made in China, and have flipped the other 3 pairs for $50 or so each on Ebay. Current boots just broken in and comfortable. No need for new boots but the company supplies them and I sell em.

Guess I am more Mr Cheapskate than Mr In Between?
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Delk on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:04 am

We are all pathetic, ha! I program networks and software and I hardly know the basics of this "company owned" iphone I use. I consider them and intrusion in my life. You can never get away from the darn thing. Someone from the office is always, calling, texting or sending email at all hours of the day or night. I received a text at 11:30 last night from one of my network users...."I forgot my password, will you reset it?" ......Really....do I need to know that at 11:30 at night? GO TO BED AND "CALL" ME TOMORROW!!!
Ben Delk
Ben Delk

Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2012-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum