UGH! My email has been hacked

Go down

UGH! My email has been hacked  Empty UGH! My email has been hacked

Post by willy3486 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:53 pm

I have a hotmail account and somehow it got hacked. I do almost all my internet stuff on Macs so its not as vurnable to hackers as windows is. The odd thing is I used a combination of letter and numbers for my password and it was almost 20 characters long. I only have 3 computers I use the hotmail account on and I am theonly one who uses these computers. I don't open up junk so I don't know how it got hacked. I think what may have happened I had it logged in today and the computer went to sleep. After that I couldn't long in and hotmail tells me it has been compromised. I did try to go through the steps to have it reset but the disclaimer said it could take 24 hours. Anyway I was wondering what others use. I want something that is secure as it can be and low issues to use. I hate to change the name as I have had it for almost 15 years. So do you have suggestions for other services like gmail or others?

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

UGH! My email has been hacked  Empty Re: UGH! My email has been hacked

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:13 am

I have my own website and as a result have my own email account where I am the postmaster. I set up accounts which I use and have the emails forwarded to my main account which I do not use everyday. If/when any of these accounts gets compromised, I just shut them down. I also have a hotmail account which I use for signing up on forums. This is where you might have been compromised. I'm not saying it's the forum or the people belonging to it. But all forums unfortunately attract hackers and spammers.

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:26 am

When my email got hacked I got over 1,500 hits in around 5 minutes. They just kept coming. My provider's server was overwhelmed and we agreed that we had to pull the plug on the account, instantly.

It's kind of like having your wallet stolen. I had to change my email on every account, (including this one). Some of them took over two weeks and Myspace took almost a month.

It also makes you aware of just how dependent we are on the internet.

terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Johnson on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:44 am

terrydec wrote:When my email got hacked I got over 1,500 hits in around 5 minutes.

Note that it's not always a hack. Anyone can send out mass mailings using anyone's email address. Just buy one of those CDs with 4 million email addresses on it, use someone else's email address as the return email address and you can bet that person will get thousands of emails returned as undeliverable. Happens all the time. The actual email account did not get hacked in these cases, someone just borrowed the email address. Unless the address is used again everything should calm down in a couple of days but the original owner of the email address might be blocked as a spamer for quite some time. Even though it wasn't an actual hack, it can still render the account useless.
Steve Johnson
Steve Johnson

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:17 am

The actual email account did not get hacked in these cases, someone just borrowed the email address.

Good point!

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:02 am

Heh. Sounds like hacking to me...... Or, at least stealing........
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4455
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:55 pm

Mine were those "Mail non-delivery" messages. At first I thought they were legitimate and tried to delete them. Then I noticed that they were scrolling down the page, page after page after page. I called my provider first and the customer service guy said that they were just about to call me because of the unusual activity on one of their servers. He said it didn't seem to be a general hack- that someone was specifically targeting me. Must have been something I said... Sad
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:07 pm

I imagine if you had said something that warranted such a response, you would have been the first to know! bom

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:17 pm

I just opened up a new account with Hotmail and had the same thing happen, and without me even sending out any Emails. Hotmail suspended my account, sent me notice of suspicious activity and I would have to click on a link to change my password. Situation resolved. So It was done during the same time period. Sounds like Hotmail got flooded with denial of service attacks. I don't know how they (the evil doers) can garner Email addresses unless they just use random name generators and add Hotmail at the end. Now realize that Hotmail and Google mail are at odds with each other to get subscribers. So it sounds like maybe???? at little industrial espionage, behind a cloak?
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:37 pm

19&41 wrote:I imagine if you had said something that warranted such a response, you would have been the first to know! bom

Yep-
But you know me, I'm such a nice guy, (usually). Razz
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:56 pm

I don't know how they (the evil doers) can garner Email addresses

It sometimes depends on your activity, Social media sites are bad for this.

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:28 pm

Thanks cliff for that info. I couldn't figure how they would have got my password. I make my passwords similar to password setup we did at one job I had. One guy tried to crack the password on a computer with a program that tried hundreds of passwords a second. It took almost 72 hours to break it. I don't know how they do it either and I work on computers for a living. But like a good radio guy I am the hardware guy. I wonder if like cliff was on to it was a issue with hotmail more than myself. I did create a new email account. Will see how the hotmail holds up.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:26 am

I've gotten emails from my landlady saying that she was stranded in Manila and needed an emergency loan; from PayPal saying I had to upgrade my information and an email from my internet provider saying that if I didn't respond I would lose my service in 24 hours.
In each instance I called and of course found they were bogus.

ABC news did a story about the "stranded in (fill in country)" email. They actually sent money, followed it up, and had the pickup person arrested.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum