Atwater Kent Model F2 Speaker

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Atwater Kent Model F2 Speaker

Post by slywuf on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:55 pm

I had a nice surprise recently in a little antique shop, when I spotted a 1929 Kiel Table with an Atwater Kent model 55FC radio inside. Table was in better than average shape and the radio was complete - appears to be un-molested. I was able to negotiate a very attractive price for this radio, so I am starting the restoration process now. This 55FC is the version designed to run off of 25 Hz power, which was used for a while in upper New York. The speaker used in this radio is a model F2, and mine has a big hole in the cone and whats left of the cone is pretty warped.
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement cone for this type of speaker? There is a good speaker repair guy in my area, but he is having a difficult time finding a cone with the right shape for this old speaker. Your ideas are greatly appreciated!

slywuf

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Atwater Kent Model F2 Speaker

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:58 pm

Welcome to TRF forums. That style of cone may be very difficult to find. More importantly, what are you going to do about the transformer? You can't use it on 60 cycle lines. You would have to replace that, and, corresponding filter chokes.
Sounds like a nice set, though.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4538
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by slywuf on Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:11 pm

Thanks for the welcome Bill - I should have joined this forum before now, as I have been tinking with old radios for several decades now. Just came across the forum recently though. Yea, I'm finding that the long depth of the old Atwater speaker cones is what makes finding a replacement difficult. I did find a speaker repair company on the internet that will fix up my speaker if I send it in to him, but he does not sell just the replacement cones. As far as the 25 Hz version goes, it will actually work just fine on 60 Hz power. Remember that 25 Hz is harder to rectify than 60 Hz, so the transformer actually runs easier and cooler on 60 Hz. Reports from other owners that I have seen that had the 25 Hz power supplies stated that their radios were working fine on 60 Hz power.

slywuf

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryRabbitt on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:09 pm

Guys, you can certainly use a 25 cycle transformer on 60 cycle service. The trans will actually run cooler, because of the added iron in it.

Remember that 25 Hz is harder to rectify than 60 Hz
I checked, and see that there might be a slight increase of the B+ using the 25hz trans. But I don't think it is any harder to rectify. I know some diagrams will have a dotted line showing where an extra filter would be installed for the 25hz units.

Don't worry about the trans, check the voltages with the tubes out. If you have fil and HV, you are good to go. I have recaped 3 of the AK model 55C's in the last 2 years. Once you find the corect version with the serial numbers, Leigh has modern drawings for each on the Atwater Kent site.
http://www.atwaterkent.info/TechData/akDrawingIndex.html
Part ID is also easier with the new drawings.
I open and restuff the metal capacitor cans, then just tack the cover back on. They are soldered all the way around, but can be easliy melted off, tapped on the bench to remove the solder.

The filter cap is easy too, it's the round set of terminals, numbered under the chassis. I think there are 2 filters, and 2 or 3 other smaller caps. You can mount a terminal strip and locate the new caps there, or nearby other contacts.

Last edited by GaryRabbitt on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:22 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : nunya)
GaryRabbitt

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by slywuf on Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:10 am

Thanks for the tips Gary for fixing up the 55FC. I have read that sometimes the filter caps are still good, since they were tightly sealed in the big cans. Can I assume that if they test good, with no leakage that they will continue to work, or should they be replaced regardless? My 55FC uses the 71A audio output tubes instead of 45's. Does anyone know what the line of thinking was there for this? I see that the 71A has much less output power than a 45, but the sound of the 71A seems to be preferred over the 45. I have not seen any schematics yet that show the 71A version - is there such a thing? How about those fragile wire wound resistors.... do you always replace those with quality new resistors? I've also noticed on my 55FC that on the first tuning condenser there is a small trimmer cap soldered on top. No trimmers on the other two tuning condensers, but the connections on top of the condensers are tinned, as if they were ready for soldering one on. I dont see those trimmers in any of the schematics... so you know what the value is supposed to be? Mine appears to be shorted, and I think its missing some of the mica between the plates.

slywuf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum