Dx'ing

Go down

Dx'ing  Empty Dx'ing

Post by Ken g on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:00 am

Love to see what you guys are listenning to............
Ken g

Last edited by Ken g on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ken g

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Dx'ing  Empty Re: Dx'ing

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:18 am

I've enjoyed doing this at night since I was very young. I would go into our attic with an AM radio and listen to WOWO in Ft. Wayne Indiana or WWVA in Wheeling West Virginia. I was in Stratford Connecticut at the time. Now I like to listen to Zoomer Radio 740AM in Canada.

Ken, I've heard a lot of nice things about Idaho as a place to retire to.

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:16 pm

I had a Nice Kowa 10 transistor large portable in1964 and in Madison WI, I could hear KFI in Los Angeles, and stations in Texas. The fading is normal, its from Ionosphere changes.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:14 pm

I've always enjoyed a few crawls across the dial when I sometimes wake at night. A cold clear night is just the ticket for good reception. The Atlanta stations will come in rotten and WWL, WLW, WOWO, WBBM, WCBS, KMOX and many others will come through on my RCA 8R71 and 75X11. Works better than counting sheep.

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:27 pm

Try counting radios instead. sunny
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 921

Back to top Go down

Post by sprman on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:57 pm

Here in Nashville i hear Toronto 740, WTOP 1500 Washington Dc WBBM 780 Chicago and a few others up north .All on a small SS radio you can hold in your hand.Sprman

sprman

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by scottb on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:50 pm

I to loved to DX when younger. My biggest frustration would be listining to a station when they were about to identify themselves and i would lose signal.

scottb

Number of posts : 115

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:22 pm

Propagation.
AM signals carry farther at night. This is why some AM stations must change their power and/or antenna pattern at sunset. I remember many times changing the power with the result that the antiquated equipment would shut down.
Propagation is also affected by the combination of longer nights, dryer air, the stratosphere, ozone layer, jet stream, and some other things that I forget. Any amateur radio operator is keenly aware of propagation because it makes a big difference in operation. High frequency signals travel farther and low frequencies are more prone to interference.
I can remember sitting in my car listening to Chicago or even New York. And if the conditions were especially right- XERB and the "Wolfman"
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:47 pm

Propagation.
AM signals carry farther at night.

Which brings you back to what Cliff said; its from Ionosphere changes

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:40 pm

out

Last edited by Ken g on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ken g

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:56 pm

That reminds me of when I did field work near the Lake Michigan shore in southwest Michigan. I hadn't seen wild TV antennas like the kind that so many homes had there. They were Finco 400 series antennas and all were oriented toward Chicago and/or Milwaukee. They almost looked like a Oueen size bedspring frame on a mast. Search Finco 400, 400a, or 400sa.

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:04 pm

I had a friend who's hobby was TVDX- Here is a photo of me working on his antenna system-

Dx'ing  L
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:39 pm

That reminds me of when I was growing up in the first half of the sixties. If a family got a color tv, the indicator would be a new Rohn tower and a rotator and high gain rig put up alongside the house. WFBM in Indianapolis was 65 miles away and they were the NBC affiliate set up for local color production. The kids liked it because theycould also just pick up WTTV in Bloomington that had the good reruns and kids programming.

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:56 pm

My grandfather set up a crude distribution system. He lived on the highest hill in the area, just outside of Frankfort, Ky. He could get Cincinnati and Indianapolis. He ran wires down the hill to the houses in the valley. I doubt if he had splitters so he probably just connected the wires in parallel and draped them over tree limbs. This would be 300 ohm flat lead so I'm sure there would be interference every time a car drove up the hill. It probably didn't matter that much though because all they ever watched was wrestling.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum