Desperately need schematic

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Desperately need schematic

Post by terrydec on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:03 pm

A really good friend who has helped me more than I can say dropped off his Heathkit model AR 1515. It is a 100 watt receiver built back when 100 watts really meant something. And it has ALL of the bells and switches. I figure that it was built in the late 60's or early 70's, and it is really cool. Shocked
The funny thing is that it works, kind of, but there's smoke coming from the power supply. I really love Heathkit because since they were kits they're pretty easy to work on. However this thing is a tank. It must have been a lot of fun to build, only slightly easier than the color TV. Wink

It would be nice to find a schematic. I've been to the usual Heathkit sites and even checked out the 'pay for schematic' sites with no luck. I'd be willing to pay for a schematic and some service info.

I'm sure I'll fix it, but a road map would be nice. cyclops

P.S- This is NOT the AR 15. There are schematics for that everywhere.

terrydec

Number of posts: 741
Registration date: 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Desperately need schematic

Post by N7ZAL on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:48 pm

Have you checked: http://www.mods.dk/

N7ZAL

Number of posts: 499
Registration date: 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:21 pm

N7ZAL wrote:Have you checked: http://www.mods.dk/

'preciate it but nope. AR 15 but no AR 1515.
Thanks.

terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:25 am

Another site is http://ebaman.com
These guys have it but they are proud of it and the price shows
http://www.vintagemanuals.com/manual.php?manufacturer=Heathkit&model=AR-1515

These guys had one that they sold, you might check and see if they have another.
http://www.arizonatubesupply.com/manuals_fs.htm

http://www.manualman.com/index.cfm?v_link=manual_list&v_manufacturer_id=255&v_manufacturer_name=HEATHKIT&isManual=Yes

willy3486

Number of posts: 824
Registration date: 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:04 pm

willy3486 wrote:Another site is http://ebaman.com
These guys have it but they are proud of it and the price shows
http://www.vintagemanuals.com/manual.php?manufacturer=Heathkit&model=AR-1515
Yeah, $51 is more than the set is worth.

These guys had one that they sold, you might check and see if they have another.
http://www.arizonatubesupply.com/manuals_fs.htm
I sent him an email

http://www.manualman.com/index.cfm?v_link=manual_list&v_manufacturer_id=255&v_manufacturer_name=HEATHKIT&isManual=Yes

terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:45 pm

Fifty bucks for a 40 year old receiver seems a bit excessive. I told my friend that he'd have to pay for the parts. I don't think he would accept this.
Oh well, I guess I'll just have to use my super powers. What a Face

terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:11 pm

I finally had a chance to start checking it out. One neat part is that everything is compartmentalized. The problem, of course, is a shorted output transistor. Further investigation revealed an open driver transistor too. In a perfect world I like to 'shotgun' the whole channel. I replace the outputs with a matched pair, replace all transistors and capacitors, and make sure the bias resistors aren't open. I also check and make sure the other resistors haven't changed value.
This is a really nice receiver, comparable to a Sansuii or Marantz. I've seen a couple of them online for around $400.

I suggested doing things like replacing the PS caps, which are VERY expensive, doing what I listed above, and trying to get a manual.

We'll see.

terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:51 pm

New news-
I FINALLY convinced this guy why I need the manual with the schematic and parts list. Heathkit, as most of you know, is special because it’s a kit and made for goobers that can barely solder. Because of this it is unusual with its own quirks and kinks- not like one that’s factory assembled.
This receiver, (which was ‘top of the line’ in 1976; selling in kit form for $690), also needs special speaker plugs.
“Well I just stuck wires in the holes”. Right, and took out most of one side of the board. I’ve counted over 10 parts that are bad. They are either shorted, open or burned beyond recognition.
He still wants it fixed and I told him that counting the manual it would run over $150. Apparently he tried to go behind my back and contacted the only other place in town that works on these old receivers. They wouldn’t touch it.
Fortunately the person who put it together did a really good job. (His name and the date he finished it are on a sticker in the back.)
Oh well- fun and games. This will give me something to do for awhile.

terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:12 pm

I am afraid that you are a better man than I, Terry. If I were trying to help the guy and he tried to cut my throat, I would have returned the thing to him and he could have used it for a door stop. Lest you think that I am kidding you, ask the dude in Kansas City how he likes singing to himself rather than listening to his Buick radio.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts: 2769
Registration date: 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:04 pm

I am with wildcat on this one. I would send it back. These things are too much of a pain at times to have someone to jerk you around and be cheap. I got burned way to many times from folks like that in the past. I even quit for a while due to situations like this.

Years ago I had my own personal spill I use to give to folks before I agreed to look at a item. I told them it could take a while, no internet back then and almost no resources. Another thing I said was no antique dealers or flippers as they call themselves now. Back then a dealer or flipper would fuss if you charged more than 20 bucks. I got burned by many of them.

One lady brought me this radio she found and she just had to have it fixed. I got it and someone had been in it before. It was one of those sets that looked like someone else tried to fix but gave up. I finally got it fixed. She then brought me another one a few weeks later, same type of someone being in it and gave up. Well I was out in a antique store a few weeks later and I saw the first one I fixed. It had a huge price and it irratated me because I just made my money back in parts due to her begging me not to charge a lot. I asked about it and they said the lady bought a bunch of them from a estate sale of a repairman. She was having them fixed they said.

I called her up and told her to come up and pick it up. She said oh good you got it fixed. I said no and I said I saw the first one in the store. She said that she found this other one she wanted more. Yeah right. She came back and got it. I told her I explained it in the begining that I didn't do for dealers I wasn't interested in fixing any others for her. Some people repair them for dealers but from my experience they buy the cheapest they can and then expect you to repair it for nothing while they make a killing.

willy3486

Number of posts: 824
Registration date: 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:14 pm

Aw, it's okay- it'll be fun. The set uses a push pull circuit. The outputs transistors are the same but the drivers are opposite- NPN and PNP. I'm going to 'shotgun' the bad channel, which I usually do anyway, replace the power supply filter caps, (it's amazing that a cap 4 " high and 2 1/2" across can be replaced with one the size of my thumb), the coupling caps, both output transistors and both drivers. I've tried to get matched pairs but can't find them. I'll replace all of the electrolytic caps in both channels and test each other section, (after all, its 37 years old. The sticker says that it was finished on 12/27/76.) Probably a Christmas present to himself. It's not like I'm sitting around with anything else to do. When I'm finished it'll sound better than when it was new.
Why not- he's paying for the parts, (plus 10%) Wink

terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:50 pm

BTW- in my first post I mentioned that this is a very good friend. You'll do stuff for friends that you wouldn't do for a "Customer".

terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by MEZLAW on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:49 am

Terry you're too nice!

I'm with the others, he would have left my shop walking a little funny and the radio wouldn't be in his hand! Smile

MEZLAW
Admin
Admin

Number of posts: 2560
Registration date: 2012-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:34 pm

MEZLAW wrote:Terry you're too nice!

I'm with the others, he would have left my shop walking a little funny and the radio wouldn't be in his hand! Smile

OUCH!

We'll see. Originally I told him that I wouldn't work on it because there were so many problems. But then I realized what a challenge it would be. If it hadn't been a Heathkit I would have refused, but I'll have a construction manual. That makes a big difference. Heck, I could rebuild the channel from the instructions. I don't think that it'll come to that though, after all, this isn't my first dance. I've been repairing receivers since I was 19. That's fifty, (yep 50), years. And there's always that moment your heart skips when you turn it on. It's not like tube sets, you can't gradually bring up the voltage. When that relay clicks it's either go or no go.

terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:07 pm

It is not a matter of friendship, it is a matter of principle. I hate getting, or see anyone else getting, crapped on. This guy is majorly taking advantage of you. MEZLAW hit this one right on the head. I was trying to be nice. I would give it back to the guy and choose my friends better, next time. With friends who will try to stab you in the back, how many enemies can you stand? All the best to you, Terry. You are obviously a better man than I. AND, I HATE solid state stuff.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts: 2769
Registration date: 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top