Best foot forward

Go down

Best foot forward Empty Best foot forward

Post by DancingBear on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:18 pm

https://www.facebook.com/tony.may.5015/photos_stream

I have a lot of knowledge with anything "gizmob" related but I pride myself on my finishing work. If I can contribute anything here it will probably be along this line until my theory reaffirms itself in my head again. It's close to being where I will form questions but until then I will post two or three pics showing some of my work.

I began this way on another site and, it's in writing, was told all I was capable of was painting a house. I don't mind constructive criticism but this was uncalled for...I hadn't shown my work. Once I posted it the "troll"(?) remained silent. It's like the media. They report the bad until the good shows up so they move on. Rudeness is a norm on the net but I won't participate.

So, If I offer any finish advice..here's my results. Both Deusy's are a very deep gloss auto-finish but the pic doesn't bring it all out. If anyone knows how to get an ever photo I'd be open to suggestions.

I don't use anything but hardwoods.

Tony
ps-I do work on old cars, especially stake beds but the red Ford is not mine...I wish.
DancingBear
DancingBear

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2013-01-23

Back to top Go down

Best foot forward Empty Re: Best foot forward

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:47 pm

There's only one picture, and, it isn't a cabinet.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4454
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:57 pm

Sorry, but I don't do FaceBook. Crying or Very sad
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:04 pm

Neither do I. And, to try to find you, I have to open an acct.
Don't want to do that again.
Sorry.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingBear on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:31 pm

I don't do a lot of FB but it was the only place I know how to handle the pix. I fight computers but need to learn this skill.

I use FB for two reasons even though I despise the thing. I play Scrabble with a life-long friend who lives in a nearby town. We used to be able to drive back and forth but neither of us is that healthy anymore so we use FB to play. The other reason is right along the same line. I don't have that much of a family but what is left is really difficult to communicate with. Nobody likes e-mail anymore, I refuse to text and I can't hear on the darn phone so we keep tabs with each other on FB.

I'll be back with the picture thing.
Tony
DancingBear
DancingBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:42 pm

You can try www.photobucket.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:51 pm

Tony, don't get frustrated. I hate FB, have a couple of God daughters that wanted to be friends. Wife signed in. Now we get to know where they went to lunch. Worse, all of a sudden there are hundreds of other "friends" that want to be friends. No one we know. Stick with e-mails if they wish to communicate with you they will without all the friend sh*t. I too cannot hear on phones, I hate them. Just e-mail me. Pictures are not hard to post, I use photo bucket which is set up for me to size them properly to post an img format. Good luck and looking to see your work posted.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 703
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:17 pm

we have a way for you post your pictures here that isn't too bad.
When you post, up at the top you find some editing tools, there are two methods for posting pictures, One has an Icon with a framed picture and a disk, that is a hosted sight that you can take your picture and find the file on your computer and upload it to and host it, then copy that address and then use the second icon to download it on our forum, hope this helps. Its kind of tricky to get use to, but it works great. That's how I posted pictures of my work bench.
In fact I will see if I can do it now and maybe list the steps to help you.Best foot forward Sf_sta10
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 921

Back to top Go down

Best foot forward Empty let's see if this works

Post by DancingBear on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:54 am

http://s1257.beta.photobucket.com/user/Tonym198/library/

my brain is fried for the day. This didn't work so I'll try in the AM. Thanks.
Tony
DancingBear
DancingBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:54 am

Do you mean these?
Best foot forward Chessset_zpsedb8a1bb

Best foot forward Deusy2050_zps86b22845

Best foot forward Deusy2048_zpsa4b559ed

You point at the picture. A box pops up.
You select Img code at bottom, and, left click. That copies the code.
You then go to the post you are writing, Right click in empty space, and click on Paste.
Make two spaces between each picture to avoid confusion. You can only do one picture at a time.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:03 am

Mighty nice workTony! You too, Bill!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:07 am

WOW!!!

Those are really nice! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingBear on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:18 pm

Thanks for the help and the comments. When I got done last night it didn't seem to work. It does now so this is great. I actually had a PB account that my wife opened for me one time that I hadn't ever used. It had one really weird pic that I don't remember at all.

I've done two of the Deusenberg's, this being the second. Each has a different look due to the inlays/color. I have been trying to shrink the size of my projects due to handling difficulties in the shop. I have been doing some caliper work with a few photos to see if I can come up with a 40' Ford pattern. I don't usually follow patterns but it's nice to have guidelines with smaller stuff.

I'll add a few more later today. Thanks again for the help.
Tony
DancingBear
DancingBear

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:51 am

Nice projects. I like the desk as well.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Delk on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:56 am

DancingBear, nice work. I have been a woodworker for many years but I build furniture and repair antiques. I have never tried the "artistic" side of woodworking but you sir have skill. Nice job!

Ben
Ben Delk
Ben Delk

Number of posts : 441
Registration date : 2012-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingBear on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:39 pm

Thanks for the nice comments. I'm one of those guys that went into the wrong field. I like sparks and sprockets but there is something about wood that brings out my desire to go deeper, something radios never did. When a friend offered to help me gather enough test equipment so I could do both it was nice. I'm totally self-taught and do things a bit differently. When I worked for a furniture outfit my odd terminology alone drove the engineer nuts.

I'm probably not going to be a big contributor at first on the electronics here but I know I can add something on the wood/restoration part.

Tony
DancingBear
DancingBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:20 pm

My Dad made a candlestick phone out of oak for me, I'll have to take a picture of it and post it.

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingBear on Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:59 pm

I don't use any grain fillers. I begin with a typical lacquer prep. The first layer shouldn't be thinned so it becomes a sanding sealer/grain filler. I then do about three or four layers, depending on time and how much I have in my Critter (spray gun). Sand it. go down to at least a 220 grit or to a point you don't see swirlies or scratches anymore and then go one more step lower in grit (higher #). At this point you would be putting on your final coat. Switch gears.

Go to any good auto-parts store. I use Rust-Oleum Acrylic Lacquer Crystal Clear Gloss auto-coat but any clear-coat gloss acrylic lacquer should work. It's that combo-that works. The kid in Auto-Zone tries to convince me the others, like plastic-coat, are the same. Gotta be those terms on the can or leave it. You can get it in spray cans or liquid. I'd recommend the quarts/small spray system but spray cans are great for touch up.

Put your piece in a dust free area where you can place a good UV lamp over it. Nothing powerful. I use a 27 watt desk lamp. Turn the lamp on after blowing it free of dust. There is a period where you should be concerned about dust but trust me, it only lasts about three to ten seconds, depending on thickness, temp and proximity to light source. It's good to keep the light in one spot until the UV sets it up, or about three to ten seconds.

It dries to a rock hard finish within minutes under the lamp. I'd give it some more exposure before buffing anything but it will NOT be tacky after a brief exposure.

The key to this is how easily you can correct mistakes. The lacquer melts into the first layer of prep and this repeats with each layer. If you can get a thick layer down (I do it by moving the light closer) the next layer will only melt into the top portion giving you lots of control. You can literally go back over and correct flaws by melting the finishes together and then spotting them with UV. My wife uses the same principle for her nails. I had a fly land on the hood of a car before this and fight for a second until he was stuck. I sprayed a little more, pulled the dying critter away and sprayed another layer. It looked great.

If you have ever wanted one of those show-room finishes that look like they go up to your elbow this is the method. Once you get a base gloss-coat on you can go back and work on just spots. I worked on one fender for quite awhile after the car was finished. I had to pull the thing and put another in place. I did not do anything to the finish on the rest of the car. It quickly and easily matched. I handled it with bare hands and then just...try it. You'll be amazed.

Tony

This stuff has never yellowed on me or cracked and is considered extremely hardy. Most of the good brands have these characteristics but it's good to read a review online before buying it.

I also should add that I use many finishes. Some applications don't like gloss...my wife hates it on furniture.

DancingBear
DancingBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down