Missing Rocky, (Dog-not fighter)

Go down

Missing Rocky, (Dog-not fighter) Empty Missing Rocky, (Dog-not fighter)

Post by terrydec on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:52 pm

My dog Rocky has been having some dental problems. The symptoms would come and go so it hasn't been that urgent.
I took him to the vet yesterday but everything looked good.
Today he started whining and scratching that side of his mouth.
Now it is urgent.

I had to take him in tonight so that they could operate in the morning.

And of course I can't help thinking the worst. What if he doesn't tolerate the anesthesia, what if he contacts something, what if???

I miss him-duh!
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1124
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Missing Rocky, (Dog-not fighter) Empty Re: Missing Rocky, (Dog-not fighter)

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:23 am

Rocky will be in my prayers. Pllease keep us informed.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4399
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:31 pm

Two things I've noticed-
I don't have to walk him, which sounds like a good thing but it does get me up off my ass.

And apparently I treat him a lot like a room mate. He is somebody to talk to. (The cat-not so much). He responds to enough stuff that I feel like I'm connecting to a person. That's more important than I had realized.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:06 pm

Animals are amazingly intelligent. They may not be able to hold intellectual conversations, but, they do understand us, love, take care, and, protect us, and, always need us.
And, I've found in my life that I need them. Heard anything in him, yet? How is he doing????
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:58 pm

They called and said that he would be ready to pick up at four o'clock and when could I arrange to be there?

That's simple- 4:01

P.S Speaking about animal intelligence. Of course everybody thinks that their dog is smart. However Rocky is beyond smart. I've watched him actually figure things out. Not counting numbers and stuff, but making intelligent decisions. I didn't think that much about it until I was bedridden and several other people had to walk him. They'd say the same thing. They'd be amazed at how he would stop and make decisions about which way to go and dig in if you didn't agree. Walking him is a constant struggle to make him do what I want. A lot of times I lose. Not because he's big, just determined-especially about finding food. He once dragged me four blocks across a park and down a courtyard for a french fry.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:15 pm

And, I can honestly say Diamond shows the same intelligence. If shw wants to see somethin out our fairly high living room window, she jumps up on her hind feet, and, floats, not drops, floats back downs. Also, she taught herself a number of things, including how to sit like a human in the chair, and, she definately has a mind of her own. She can be very stubborn, but, also very loving.
She loves tummy rubs.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:45 pm

Little fuzzy critters are smarter than they are given credit for. When my arthritis acts up, there is a 16 pound dog and three cats, all stacked like cordwood, lying on the "hurting" part. It does not matter whether it is my knee, hip, elbow or whatever. The dog and those cats are heavy enough all piled up that they put the "offending" limb to sleep. If they won't leave me alone, and insist on being on my lap, I had just as well make a doctor's appointment. It isn't more than a couple of days that I come down with a bug. Those critters know way before it happens.

I have a cat that sleeps on my Philco radio. She likes it because it is warm from the tubes. If she ever jumps off, and is not eating or doing her "kitty business", I go to the door. Sure enough, somebody will be there. Another female cat we have goes outside part time. She will come inside, find Bentley the 16 pound poodle mix, and they will go outside together. She has rounded up a squirrel that needs its butt kicked and she is too little to do it by herself. So Bentley runs the squirrel toward the tree. The squirrel knows that if it goes around to the back of the tree, it will lose Bentley. Guess who is on the back of the tree. The Cat! The cat gives the squirrel a good left hook, the dog pounces, and the squirrel is in big trouble. They pester the poor squirrel for a few minutes, until it acts "dead." The cat and dog walk away, and so does the squirrel. Sweet Pea and Bentley have been playing with that same squirrel for a couple of years.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:48 pm

Well, my hope that he would come running and jump in my arms was the opposite of true. In fact I think he blames me. When we got home he drank about a quart of water, which means he'll probably pee on the kitchen floor before the night is over. He has diarrhea- always fun to deal with. He wants to stay outside which at 28 degrees isn't an option. I gave him another pain pill and tried some soft food. None of this seems to be working.

We'll see. Obviously this isn't over and it's going to be a fun night.

The cat is really pissed. "You brought that dog back? What were you thinking?"
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:36 pm

I always like it when one of my threads takes a few twists and turns. The stories about other animals are really great. I've found that Labs and Shepard's are really smart, but don't discount Lasa Apsos. They're really cute and they know it.

While I was at the vet someone came in with a pet duck. Now THAT was a treat.

Rocky is on the couch trying to find a way to lay that doesn't hurt. I keep asking him if he needs to go out and pee because he's so stoned on Tramadal he might forget. I'm going to spend the evening next to him stroking him and letting him know that I love him. I just hope he doesn't get sick from all the water he drank. I forgot that he hasn't had water or food since 6 PM last night. I can't get him to eat anything though.
The cat has finally stopped whining and is even checking Rocky out. Maybe he cares after all. Rolling Eyes

It's kind of like sitting up with a sick baby. Okay it's exactly like that. Embarassed

Today I spent my time waiting for him by making mic cables. My mind must have been distracted because after an hour working on a connector I realized I'd left the shell off. Duh!
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:13 pm

In fact I think he blames me.

It might appear that way Terry, but they have great instinct. He is probably just miserable from the ordeal. Never saw a dog take anything personally. I think a lot of people think animals are dumb because they can't speak. A dog can have a large hearing vocabulary and how many dog barks can we understand? Dogs are a blessing to be appreciated, as most animals...people are the problem.
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 493
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:22 pm

Terry, my bet would be that Rocky is lots more worried about not being a proper companion during his illness than he is about blaming you for whatever. Bill got this one right. Critters are a blessing that we get to enjoy for too short a time. Rocky will be back to normal in no time. Don't sell the cat short either. That cat has more on the ball than perhaps you realize. When we have a critter that is "off their feed," we shut the doors to rooms with carpet and let nature take its course. The tile can be easily cleaned and no permanent damage is done. Cleaning up after a sick critter is part of the "payment on the loan" we pay for the privilege of having one of God's creatures love us.

I wish both you and Rocky all the best.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:14 am

I'm mostly just joking about the cat, mostly.
Things are getting back to normal. He's stopped whining and is lying on my shoulder. He has eaten some soft treats, including sharing some donuts. I know that he doesn't really blame me-he is, after all, not a person. Just don't tell him.
I hope he doesn't pee in the bed.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:06 am

Our male cat likes to steal my bacon at breakfast and then run and hide. That cat doesn't usually make me mad enough to want to kill him. Usually.

Glad to hear that Rocky is better.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:53 pm

Two stories-
There is, (or was), a cat that lived in a hospice. When someone was about to pass on the cat would go into that room and curl up with that person. I gotta say- If I'm gonna go having a cat at my side would be nice.

There was a major house fire that was being taped for training purposes. The person making the video looked down and saw a kitten. A couple of minutes later there were two. That's when he noticed the mother going back into a fully involved fire, with obvious burns, bringing out her babies. The firefighters adopted the cat and named her "Smudge", for "Small fire".

Animals are great- they don't judge, they love unconditionally, (unless they've been abused), they help and they are great companions.

I got Rocky when he was was only 5 months old. In that time he had already been abused and lived in a backyard tied to a clothes line. Training him was hell. Maybe that's why he's so weird.

My cat was thrown out of a third floor window when he was only 6 weeks. He still has a permanent disfigurement, possibly from broken bones in his face. My vet asked me to adopt him and I was hesitant. He said to just take a look. Hint- NEVER "just take a look". He moved in and took over the other two cats, becoming the alpha animal. He would push them away and eat first, and take the best places to lie down. Since we already had two other cats we referred to him as the "Kitten". That became his name. Yep-I have a 10 year cat named "Kitten".
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum