RCA sign rebuild

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

RCA sign rebuild - Page 2 Empty Re: RCA sign rebuild

Post by willy3486 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:31 am

I think I found the history of the sign. I had found a post on the web of a Mr. Losty who had worked in a TV shop co owned with a Mr Guertin. I also saw a relative of the Guertin man who had posted on that site. I contacted both of them to see if they could confirm in some way. The Lofty relative could not and the Guertin relative said that it wasn't as he had always worked out of his house and had no sign.

The next day thinking I was back to having very little to go on the Guertin relative found a picture on the web and sent it to me. It was a picture of a calendar with the shop I was looking for. It had a address of Worcester MA on Grafton Street. So I contacted the Worcester historical society. This is what they sent.

"Library staff spent some time this morning looking for information on Guertin
Radio and TV Shop. The first listing that we find in the Worcester City
Directories was in 1952. At that time, it was located at 290 Grafton
Street. Every few years the address changed by a few numbers. By
1968, there was a Guertin Television Sales at 267 Grafton Street but no Guertin
Radio and TV shop. The individual listed as the owner in 1962 was Lucien
Guertin. "

So what I think is each time they moved they probably got a new sign as it looks like with each move it was to a bigger building. There is at least three signs of this shop out there that I know or heard of. I also looked up the fellow and I only found one who after contacting the family I found out he had only worked with the railroad. But the original Guertin I contacted sent me a new reply and a link to him on a Census in 1940 that he was a radio salesman. So I feel like I have found the shop.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:52 am

That is great news! It's nice to have the history behind anything we restore. I also so your post on Facebook! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:04 pm

I just got an update and info on someone who remembers the shop. The person who has helped me find a lot of the info without asking sent me a followup today. She told me that a fellow had talked with his brother and he said it was their dads. Their dad had got the sign from his brother Ray Guertin who had closed his shop in the mid 60s when he became a representative for Oxford, MA. So I see it as I now know the history of the sign. I usually don't go to the extreme to find the history but the sign was special and my most prized piece I have. I wanted one so that when people tour my shop they could see what a TV shop had around. So if you need any awards check out the relatives business if you live in the area. Its called Guertin Awards, Inc. on 134-138 Southbridge St in Worcester, MA .

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:45 pm

Here is the calendar that the person who was helping me on finding the info. It had sold on ebay a few weeks back and I didn't know it. If it had not been for this sign I would not have known it was from Massachusetts. From what I had known it was traced to Rhode Island. This piece of the puzzle was the item that got me the history. I had been looking since I got it and had almost given up.

RCA sign rebuild - Page 2 Guertin_zpsca0950dd

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2