Hello from New York City

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello from New York City

Post by orthophonio on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:53 pm

Hi-

About two years ago I found a really nice late 60s era AM/FM stereo/phono mini console at a flea market for $20. It was manufactured by a company called APF that I can't find much info on, and has a BSR C-109 turntable in it. Cosmetically it was in near mint condition but the turntable needed a bit of work. Long story short I had someone work on it and spent a little more than I cared to so it could be up and running. During this time the person servicing it was throwing some shop terms around like 'idler wheel' and stuff like that. It sounded cool to me and after I got the unit home I tinkered with it a little just to see how the thing was set up. Once that happened I really got inspired to want to do this kind of work myself instead of paying to have someone else do something I would enjoy doing. Fast forward to this past summer: while I hadn't really found anything to work on since I found the APF unit, I stumbled upon an RCA 45-EY-2 for $15 at the same flea market. When I saw it I decided I would fully restore this one myself. I never did any electrical work before, never soldered, which I had to learn on my own, didn't know anything about restoration of phonographs. Found a guy online that had a homemade instructional video on how to restore EY-2s. Ordered a copy and three months later after alot of trial and error I had the unit restored and I listen to it ALL THE TIME. Since then I now have an EY-4 that's almost done, and another EY-2, 9JY, and 9Y51 that are next in line to be restored. The only thing left to do on the EY-4 is recap the amp and replace the tubes and power cord. Since I finished the EY-2 I've learned about the hazards of working on the kinds of amps that are in the EY-4 and until I've done enough research and spoken to enough people on how to handle these things safely all of my restoration projects are being put on hold. Not really interested in getting hurt while I'm trying to enjoy myself and accomplish something. However, I may just work on the 9JY because there's no amp in it. Also recently I think I may have caught the shortwave radio bug. I looked at a nice RCA recently. It looked good, but didn't work good. I'd like to at some point find one and do all this amazing international tuning in and maybe even bring one back to life like I did with EY-2.

Looking forward to speaking with all of you.

Scott

orthophonio

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from New York City

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:23 pm

Welcome to TRF Scott! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:13 am

Welcome to TRF. I haven;t heard of that brand myself. Has anyone else?
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4523
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:14 am

You will get all the part names memorized as you chase down the parts you need. Welcome again to the site.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:37 am

Welcome!
Tony V

Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:52 pm

I like your story . You can learn more by hands on doing and talking to the right people . There is not a whole lot of safety stuff to be concerned about really . Just chat with people who been around this forever to get past the drama part Smile . Short wave is not as full as it used to be because of atmospheric conditions and stations just plain shutting down . Still some stuff to hear though .

Ken g

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:12 pm

Welcome and this is a great time for shortwave propagation due to the sun spot cycle !
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 501
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by fixinmyphono on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:22 pm

Welcome to a fellow New yorker!
fixinmyphono

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2011-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by atwater10 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:36 pm

Glad you're here Scott ... Best of luck on your project ... They always sound better when you've rebuilt them your self. Cool
atwater10

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2012-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by W8WHO on Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:17 pm

Welcome Scott . Its a great hobby , Making the old stuff come back to life. Good people here to help.
W8WHO

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top