Tape deck repair

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tape deck repair Empty Tape deck repair

Post by terrydec on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:15 pm

This has been my project for the past two days. At first I was just going to replace the belts, clean the wheels and the heads. But I just kept getting more and more involved. The wheels are waiting for some rejuvenate stuff from AES and a new lamp for the VU meters. I didn't disassemble the linkages and I didn't replace the pads. A friend advised against replacing the pads and the customer isn't paying enough to completely disassemble it down to the chassis.

Still, I think I did a pretty good job.

P.S. WD-40 has a new nozzle that puts just the right amount of oil in just the right spot.

Tape deck repair L

Tape deck repair L
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1124
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Tape deck repair Empty Re: Tape deck repair

Post by repairtech on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:55 pm

On that Sony transport:

That head plate assembly will need to be removed and the associated linkages under it cleaned and re-lubricated - IF it's to be reliable at all.

Anything less, and it's a half-assed job.

repairtech

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2010-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:51 pm

You cleaned it up good . May i suggest this ''rejuvenate'' stuff is only a short term fix . If the rubber is still somewhat soft you can sand the wheels surface to regain a better grip . Put a screw & nut into the wheel and chuck it up in a drill & spin it on some rough sandpapar .

2nd ... wd-40 is NOT oil . It will cause trouble later as it hardens up .

3rd repairteck is not a real repair person - ignore it .

Ken g

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by repairtech on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:11 am

Ken g wrote:You cleaned it up good . May i suggest this ''rejuvenate'' stuff is only a short term fix . If the rubber is still somewhat soft you can sand the wheels surface to regain a better grip . Put a screw & nut into the wheel and chuck it up in a drill & spin it on some rough sandpapar .

Must you continue to show your childish side?
It's not amusing.

repairtech

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2010-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:36 am

Ken g wrote:You cleaned it up good . May i suggest this ''rejuvenate'' stuff is only a short term fix . If the rubber is still somewhat soft you can sand the wheels surface to regain a better grip . Put a screw & nut into the wheel and chuck it up in a drill & spin it on some rough sandpapar .

I've done the sandpaper thing with turntable idler wheels with excellent results. However these wheels are pretty hard and I've checked about the CaiKleen. It's supposed to be really good for softening them up.

This is from Wikipedia about WD-40-

"The long-term active ingredient is a non-volatile, viscous oil which remains on the surface, providing lubrication and protection from moisture.[4] This is diluted with a volatile hydrocarbon to give a low viscosity fluid which can be sprayed and thus penetrate crevices. The volatile hydrocarbon then evaporates, leaving the oil behind. A propellant (originally a low-molecular weight hydrocarbon, now carbon dioxide) provides gas pressure in the can to force the liquid through the spray nozzle, then evaporates away.

These properties make the product useful in both home and commercial fields; lubricating and loosening joints and hinges, removing dirt and residue, and extricating stuck screws and bolts are common usages. The product also may be useful in displacing moisture, as this is its original purpose and design intent."

(I've personally found it to be a miracle. It has restored controls when nothing else works and mixed with white lithium grease brings out the best of both).
HOWEVER- NEVER use it in a lock because it will attract dirt. ONLY use graphite.

The formula is a trade secret but rumor has it that it contains fish oil and is harmless. You can even taste it, (hint: it tastes awful though) Rolling Eyes

I'm not that worried about the linkage and head assembly.
a) It ain't gonna be used that hard and
b) I ain't gettin' that much money

terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:14 am

Gentlemen, please lets keep this thread about tape deck repair!

Thank you very much Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:56 am

And, while I agree it is great for home use, I know for a fact that WD-40 is not a long term luibricant. It dries out. You need a good quality oil for it. I reccommend against WD-40 for that use.
And, that plate corosion needs more cleanning. Left that way it will worsen with time.
Rejuvenator really is only a temporary fix.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4393
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:59 am

I have squirted WD 40 on almost anything imaginable, and I have yet to have a negative result.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:32 pm

Even the mannufacturer says it's only meant a s a rust preventative, and, temporary lubricant.
Bill Cahill
It dries out quickly.........

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:37 pm

I've used the rubber rejuvenator and had excellent results. It softens the harden rubber very well and lasts a long time.
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 493
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:58 pm

Great suggestions and greatly appreciated- but what's done is done.

This ain't my first dance. I've owned my own repair business, and worked for a bunch of others. I've always used these items, well, not the restorer yet, I'm used to the liquid in the brown bottle with the wick on a stick, but I ain't had no complaints either. I think this repair will be sufficient for the client's needs. In fact far beyond his expectations. He's expecting a new belt and clean heads-period.

BTW- I was just showing off. I didn't mean to start such a complicated thread.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:20 pm

You did fine, Terry. And I thank you for sharing your project with the rest of us. I am personally glad to know that someone uses the "magic spray" as I do.

There are those who prefer to do a job the hard way just because that is the way it has always been done. Witness the lacquer finish versus polyurethane debate. Mentioning WD-40 causes similiar comments. I don't care if it dries up, turns purple or causes wrinkles, the stuff works. And whatever works, for whatever reason, and can bail me out of a bind, is okay by me.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:55 pm

Wildcat445 wrote: There are those who prefer to do a job the hard way just because that is the way it has always been done. Witness the lacquer finish versus polyurethane debate. Mentioning WD-40 causes similiar comments. I don't care if it dries up, turns purple or causes wrinkles, the stuff works. And whatever works, for whatever reason, and can bail me out of a bind, is okay by me.

Regards

WC

Yep! Wink

Thanks.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:24 pm

Terry, I wasn't putting you down. Simply saying the WD-40 isn't permanent, and, wasn't meant to be. Read what the companny says. Yes, it works, but, it does dry up.
Other than that, yes, you do a fine job. I'm certainly impressed.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:58 pm

Bill Cahill wrote:Terry, I wasn't putting you down. Simply saying the WD-40 isn't permanent, and, wasn't meant to be. Read what the companny says. Yes, it works, but, it does dry up.
Other than that, yes, you do a fine job. I'm certainly impressed.
Bill Cahill

I know that- no problem. I was serious when I said I appreciated every comment.

The deck will probably stop being used before it dries up. Heck, I'm amazed it even worked with the old grease. BTW, Most of the lubrication I'm using is white lithium grease. It's pretty much the industry standard. I just used WD-40 on some of the frozen bearings
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:03 pm

Done-
But-As they say,
The devil is in the details. The one last detail that bothered me was that the head cover was loose. Apparently the screw assembly had disappeared over time.

Getting it to work was the hardest part of the repair. I found two spring nuts that fit but couldn't find two nice looking screws. After going through my magic screw box about a hundred times I finally found two that, with the help of my Dremel tool, worked. You can just barely see them on top of the head cover

My client will be SOooooo surprised!!!
(I AM da man!)

Tape deck repair L

terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:25 pm

Good Work!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:36 pm

Nice!
Tony V
Tony V

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:39 pm

Looks good Terry! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:08 pm

I had a boss that always advised me to apply turtle wax to the heads and polish to insure that the tape would move freely.

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:29 pm

Success is something to admire. Good job!
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 493
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:11 am

19&41 wrote:I had a boss that always advised me to apply turtle wax to the heads and polish to insure that the tape would move freely.

Actually, the only thing that should ever be used on a tape head is denatured alcohol because it completely evaporates.

I'm a cop out- I use Isopropyl on consumer decks,. The problem is you can't buy it 100% without a prescription so it leaves a light coating. Acetone can be used with discretion. Some manufacturers coat their heads, especially 1/4" multitrack decks, with plastic and Acetone makes plastic tacky.

I would never use car wax but I have used toothpaste in extreme situations. Toothpaste is one of the best abrasives there is for light work.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:20 am

Note: There is a process called "re-lapping". The head is disassembled and the coil ground down, like brake pads or cylinder heads, only within a tolerance of .00005mm.
I wouldn't use it on a consumer deck though. It'd be cheaper to just replace the heads. However I have had heads on a 16 track re-lapped for a fraction of the cost to replace them.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:41 am

When I started where I currently work, they kept denatured alcohol for the bench. Its fumes would make me very ill. I get 91% isopropyl at the drug store. The Drug Emporium chain used to sell 98% isopropyl But they have long since vanished trom these parts.

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:37 pm

19&41 wrote:When I started where I currently work, they kept denatured alcohol for the bench. Its fumes would make me very ill. I get 91% isopropyl at the drug store. The Drug Emporium chain used to sell 98% isopropyl But they have long since vanished trom these parts.
Yeah, the problem with Isopropyl that is not 100% is that it is mixed with water. All water has some impurities and these will make microscopic scratches on the head. Once again this would only make a difference in a high quality head used professionally. I use a lot of 100% pure Acetone sold as finger nail polish remover. It is amazing stuff.

About fumes- Ever since my concussion, which was a year ago, I still have sensitivity to sound and smell. I can't use most chemicals without a fan next to the bench.

You wanna know what smells great? Pancakes!
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum