TV Sign value

Go down

TV Sign value Empty TV Sign value

Post by willy3486 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:31 am

I am needing a opinion. I have found a admiral sign for
sale. It quite a few hours away but I know of someone who goes to that city. I
was wanting a original TV or Radio repair shop sign. From what I know the
plastic is good, it hasn't been tested as far as lights but was removed from
service so it should be good. The guy who has it said it is roughly 4x4 feet.
Its a little larger than I wanted but I can get it up in in my shop. So before I say
price what would be a good price for it? Anyone care to give a value on it. If
I get it I will probably have to buy it from the info he gives and pictures.

TV Sign value Admiral2_zps0b982072

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

TV Sign value Empty Re: TV Sign value

Post by ChrisH664 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:47 am

I guess it really depends on what you're willing to pay. Here are a few completed ebay listings for much smaller signs. http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=admiral+tv+sign&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

Also depends what the seller has into it. A wild guess I'd offer $350 for it. That's what I'd be willing to pay. If you and the seller cannot get to an agreed price then it was never meant to be.

I go to auctions alot and a prime example was the last one I attended. Nice 4 brass blade fan was available. I waited and had my top dollar in mind. I got outbid and the ending price was $35 over my top dollar. So be it....not meant to be.
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:26 pm

Consider that if it is an illuminated sign it would likely use fluorescent illumination. With the age of the sign, it would probably need a major overhaul to restore that function. I say consider it, because if he thinks your best price is too low, that can be a talking point to get him in your ballpark.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:13 pm

out

Last edited by Ken g on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ken g

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:19 am

Well since I got replies I will let the cat out of the bag. The guy wants 250 for it. But I am thinking of not getting it for a few reasons. The big one is I am leery of this guy now. I had a ad and he sent me a email with his number. I asked for the dementions and he said roughly 4x4. I asked for the exact size and he said he would get them but never has. The sign is about 6 to 8 hour round trip but I know of someone who goes there to college. My wife works with his mom and I could pay him a fee to get it. I had told this guy to sell it if someone else wants it but if he still had it if I could get that way I would.

I asked for where it could be picked up so I could ask the fellow I know if he knew the road. The fellow refused to let me know the address and he said to just have the guy call him and he would tell him were to meet. I know the guy might be afraid of being robbed of the sign if he give out the address but there is also scams of being told to meet somewhere and getting robbed. I am beginning to think this might be a con and he has some bad plans to rob a person or something.

As far as the sign goes I would like to have one. If I had a choice of other signs this would not be the one I wanted. I am ok with the price. As it was pointed out its probably late 60s early 70s and I would like to have something older. This one is too boxy on its design and letters. The redeming thing to me was the colors.

I had one offer of a RCA sign to buy. Its one of the yellow backgrounds and never used. The guy wants 1100, way out of my price range. I did have a guy contact me a couple of months ago I had forgot about until today. I dug through my email for his message. He has a RCA exactly what I wanted. The frame is even curved. It has the red and white background and a TV shops name on it which was what I was looking for. I told him not to hold it but if I was able to get the 350 he wanted for it before I found one I could afford with what I had I would check back with him. My wife said go for it if he still has it. I sent a email to him asking if he still had it.I will let you know.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisH664 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:31 am

Good luck...definitely on the RCA sign. Looking at the pictures the guy with the Admiral obviously has more signs outside. His hesitancy to provide an address might be that he is just trying to protect his signs from "walking off". Who knows?
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:17 pm

People have all kinds of behavior and I agree that he might be concerned about getting ripped off. JMO
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 493
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:19 pm

'''The big one is I am leery of this guy '''

I would be too at 250$ ..no way

Ken g

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:55 pm

Well I heard back from the guy today. He asked if he was suppose to send me more info. I replied back that I had asked for the exact measurements and I had asked for the location to pick it up as I wanted to ask the young man if he would feel confortable with picking up at the location. I told him that I had picked up a sign and I was no longer interested. I felt really unconfortable with how the guy was doing, no exact info , not giving me any info I asked. I was wondering if this was a set up to meet him somewhere and then he would rob someone. Anyway I am really pleased with the one I actually did get. I also felt the sign might not be worth 250. Maybe 100 or 150 at the most , I don't know. Now I don't think I would give over 50 for it since I have one.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Johnson on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:16 pm

Good you passed on it. I sold two working Admiral color TV signs with built in clocks about two years ago (both new, never used) for about $70 each. Had they been just radio and not TV they would have probably sold for twice that. Not a chance that sign is worth $250.
Steve Johnson
Steve Johnson

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:16 pm

If the failed purchase was a craigslist deal, it isn't surprising the other party was so hinky. You read so much about bad things happening with some transactions , it is a wonder people are able to conduct a straight deal on it. I guess I've been lucky, having bought a car and sold one on it.

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:16 pm

One problem I have had with online sales like craigslist is with the people wanting it delivered. A year ago this guy wanted me to bring a scroll saw I was selling for 30 to his house a hour away. And he wanted to trade even to a drill he was asking 15 in another post. I wound up trading a drill and 25 bucks for it. A guy came out and asked if I would take the drill on it. Then today another guy wanted me to drive 45 minutes to take a load of old computer junk to him that I have that I am only asking 10 bucks for. I can take that 45 minutes and strip out 20 bucks of copper out of the stuff. The other problem is you put a price and they want to get you to give it to them. I understand haggling on the price, that why I price higher than I want. But if you put 100 bucks they only want to give you 10 bucks. I have had a lot want to only give you half or less.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:19 pm

When they float an idea like that, ask them if they would do something like that. That ought to pinch it off mighty fast. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:34 pm

The guy just emailed me and said he could give me more money if we meet somewhere. The money is not the problem. I could care less about more money. The main thing is I don't have the time to spend two hours round trip. Right now I have all this going on. I am trying to sort my tubes and hope to be done tomorrow,I am also in the middle of my mother in laws new house build, my wife and I are in charge of that. Then add working full time, doing things around the house I just don't have any free time. Also add in the fact the old truck I have I wouldn't trust it that distance I have no interest in doing that.

Worst case I can take this stuff to work and store it in our shed. We have a company that comes around and recycles our computer stuff for free when we get a load. Seriously on this computer stuff half is junk but half is good. If you had a yard sale and sold it of you could between 100 and 200 bucks. I just don't have the time to deal with it and I don't have the room to store it so its in my truck under the topper. What is wrong with people today? When I was just getting started I would drive to get stuff. I remember I would drive a ways to get old TV guys junk that really wasn't worth much. And if I had to pay for it I didn't care if I got it as I knew it would be worth it.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum