WTB Philco 38-116 switch assembly FOUND!

Go down

WTB Philco 38-116 switch assembly FOUND!

Post by jerryhawthorne on Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:51 pm

Yes, I have the above radio and looking for the switch assembly the turns on and off the magnetic tuning on the radio. It has two parts, on the back a simple on/off switch for the "flood" lights and a small rotary switch for the magnetic tuning. Anyone out there have a junk chassis? Appreciate your reading this and I know Ken G or Johnnysan is hiding one somewhere. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Jerry

Last edited by jerryhawthorne on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:35 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Picture Added)

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 730
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Re: WTB Philco 38-116 switch assembly FOUND!

Post by Ken g on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:35 pm

Hay now ... Razz . Do you have a picture of the part and .... can you tell me what is wrong with your part ?

Ken g

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:38 pm

Ken, I will take a picture as to what is wrong with it, well it is FUBAR. Nothing inside worth saving. Only option I can see is to find a replacement or find something else that might work. It is a long shaft, 2" single "click" double switch. One of the switches is a simple on off for couple of 6.3V lights. The second switch is a small rotary switch which as three connections. Electrically it looks line a single throw double pole. The center goes to ground but unlike a standard switch, when moved from one side to the other it grounds both of the two ends or releases them from ground. It is item 96 in the schematic for the 38-116. Believe me, no one is going to repair this puppy. Internal parts are trash. Of course you are talented and perhaps up to the task? Really need to find a replacement unit. I will keep you in mind as my speaker reconer.
Jerry

The rotary section is saveable, the on off section on the rear not saveable. Hope this helps.

Jerry

Last edited by jerryhawthorne on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Picture Added)

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:37 pm

Good 'ol' Philco and their unique controls . I hope someone has one . Someone does . They need to get up & go look !

Ken g

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:12 am

Your right Ken, someone has to have a parts chassis. I have repaired the rotary part for the mag tuning but the rear switch is toast. For the time being I just have all wires hooked together so all three dial lights come on when the radio is turned on. Normally the switch turns on the two "flood lights" when the the switch is in the mag tuning on position. When the mag tuning is off, only one light is on for the frequency tuning indicator.
A poor repair but functional.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:14 pm

Yah... i had a couple of those consoles . I would wire all bulbs to come on all at once . ''pretty pretty'' I suppose the toasted switch was the power switch .

Ken g

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Yip Ken, got the rotary switch epoxied back together and just wired all the lights to go on together. Not what I wanted but functional.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:23 am

So you say this switch has only one click back & fourth , no other positions ?

I found one here with a switch on the back and a wafer that has one side with 3 lugs and the other side with 4 lugs . That combination should 'git-er-done' if you are a-ok at figuring out the wiring & all .

You will need to extend the shaft though Smile

Ken g

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:41 am

Now problem Ken unless the rotary part is much larger in diameter than the switch part. Not a lot of room under there. Sounds like the rotary aspect should be easy to work out. All it does is take two seperate wires and in one position ties both to ground and the other position lets them go do their own thing. Might you shoot a picture to me? The shaft extension should not be a problem. I should be able to source one. grhawthorne (at)earthline(dot)net
As usual, nice to hear from you. One of the reasons I joined this forum, the other is that it is friendly!
Jerry

Last edited by jerryhawthorne on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : change information)

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:55 pm

This one looks a bit more bulky than yours but ? PM me an address & i will get it to you so you can try it . If it wont work toss it over your shoulder Razz

Ken g

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:54 pm

PM sent Ken.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down