traveling friend scam

Go down

traveling friend scam Empty traveling friend scam

Post by terrydec on Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:44 pm

If you get an email from someone you know telling you that their vacation has been spoiled by, (take your pick), being robbed, being attacked, lost purse or wallet, etc., delete it immediately.

I got one from my landlady with her correct email address and including a unique signature that she uses asking for a "Few dollars" to make it home from Manila in the Philippines.

I just saw a story about the same thing on the news.

It's scary what people can do no matter how hard you protect yourself. I recently had to change my email because somebody hacked my account and sent over 1,500 messages in under 10 minutes. When I called my provider they said a server was being overloaded. We agreed to pull the plug.

BTW- You only realize how attached you are to the internet when you have to contact everybody. It's as bad, or worse, than having your wallet stolen. It took over a month to get my MySpace account straight and even several days just to get back to this forum.

terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

traveling friend scam Empty Re: traveling friend scam

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:26 pm

OH,, my God!
I'm sorry this happenned to you, and, am sincerely glad you are getting back to normal. Welcome back. Hope you remembered to change your e mail address here, and,at other forums.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4454
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:26 pm

Yes, I've received a few of those. I got several fishing attempts from someone telling me my Bank America account was over drawn and they even had it ending in number 2. Your account, xxxxxx2. Guess 2 is a common end number for bank account numbers. Surprised Then there is the one from American Express. Another from an account firm saying I had a problem with the IRS. The one that was scary was from PayPal and they had the logo and everything down to near letter perfect. I mouse over the site address, or email address, and the link doesn't go to PayPal. It seems to go on and on. I doubt they would do it, unless they have some success. Crying or Very sad
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:29 pm

yes I went on Facebook then decided to pull the plug. I completely deleted my account so it could not be recovered. Now 6 months later I am getting Emails that I have friends and to click on this link to see who they are. You know that's a dead giveaway to a virus or phishing to verify your Email is valid. Their Email address isn't even listed as Facebook. Some bogus Email address from them, and of course the spelling and syntax are laughable sometimes.

Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 921

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisH664 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:58 pm

Yes these scammers are very good. Fortunately you guys caught this. But just think if they send out 10,000 of these spams per week and 99.5% don't fall for it but .5% do that's 50 people who have been scammed.
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by repairtech on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:01 pm

I get all sorts of dumb emails.
Some are humorous, even.

Bottom line, people..... a little common sense goes a long way. Wink

repairtech

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2010-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by exray on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:08 pm

Yeah, unfortunately the scams work. You often read in the local paper where some local couple, usually elderly, got fleeced for major amounts of money. There's zero recourse. But there's 419eater.com where many of these jerks get their arse handed back to them because they are so greedy they can't spot a scam coming from the other direction!
exray
exray

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:01 pm

Now if we could only scam the scammers!
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 921

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:21 pm

Bill Cahill wrote:OH,, my God!
I'm sorry this happenned to you, and, am sincerely glad you are getting back to normal. Welcome back. Hope you remembered to change your e mail address here, and,at other forums.
Bill Cahill

You have a short memory,( from smelling too much old solder I guess). You not only helped me get my new email straightened out here but at a couple of other sites too.
If I didn't thank you then I am now-
thanks
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:49 pm

But there's 419eater.com where many of these jerks get their arse handed back to them because they are so greedy they can't spot a scam coming from the other direction!

Thanks for the link...new one for me. Wink
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down