Tutoring websited idea

Go down

Tutoring websited idea

Post by RetroTronics on Fri May 02, 2008 7:06 pm

Ok so here is an idea I am working on for my website. Olds, if you want to give this a try then by all means, go ahead. It will build your website skills!

What I am doing/planning is taking several radios, say a common bakelite AA5, and maybe a Philco cathedral of some sort and start out with a simple photo of the radio. From there we take the chassis out. (here comes the fun) With the photo of the chassis we can make an image map. In other words as you put your mouse over each component of the radio, you can go to another page that explains in detail first how the component works in the radio, and then secondly any concerns you might have in the restroation process with that given part (restuffing a paper cap, etc) . One step further wold be to have a list of links on that page for suppliers of that part. I hope to be able to call on some others to help with the same process for cabinet repair and restoration as well

That would be the very beginning of the tutorial. Secondly I have a plan to take photos of the undersides of the chassis and do the same image map type feature that will lead you to that component on a schematic. from there we could possibly go further to display voltages on the tube pins, etc.

The photography alone for this project is a daunting task. Luckily that is my second favorite hobby. This might take a year to complete but it is my ultimate goal. In the end you would end up with a "virtual" radio restoration that you could follow along with in a step by step manner.

By all means, let me know what you think about the idea.

Nick

RetroTronics

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-04-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Tutoring websited idea

Post by Oldsmobile Man on Fri May 02, 2008 7:31 pm

That has to be the greatest idea i have herd all year!!!

I can't wait to see it. I think that is an excellent thing we can all learn from! If there is anything i can do to help at all let me know.

There is a big need for something like this especially now that there are folks with no knowledge at all (like me) comeing into the radio hobby as well.

So, Whats your website?

I can't wait to see this, I have a very limited understanding of this. I amaze myself every time i finish a simple radio without severly burning myself or ruining the step.

I think another very important thing to list is saftey procautions. Without those newbies could be severly injured or killed. It is the #1 thing to worry about in my opnion. I woke up to this when i poked the base of an electro-ly unter full operation with bare feet on a concrete floor. I should have been killed.

I can't wait to see this come together!

Keep me informed,
Robert
Oldsmobile Man

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by RetroTronics on Sat May 03, 2008 4:10 am

Hi Robert,
I own: www.retrotronicsource.com

You guys referenced it in another post. I have two radio/electronics courses started there. I upload them in sections so I don't exceed the bandwitdth limits of the server. Have a look at them, especially the Beitman one. I am sure you'll find it helpful.

I'll remember to add in some safety tips along the way. I may just start with an AA 5 since that is the simplest. This is going to be a project that takes months but it will be nice when its done.

Nick

RetroTronics

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Sat May 03, 2008 6:00 am

Yes I have downloaded your stuff and it will be a great help to both Newbies and old-timers like me. Keep up the good work. cheers
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaine on Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:03 pm

Excellent stuff. My head is getting so big with all this new information.
Blaine

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Uffda on Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:28 pm

Nick, what a great project concept! That would help give this forum it's own distinct identity as a kind of "tutor central." There are so many things that are unclear
in texts that assume a level of knowledge and lack how-to photos. I especially like the idea of a Philco Cathedral as they are the type that first comes to mind when
people think of antique radios.

Is the little cutie on your home page, your youngest student? She looks like she can't wait to get back to boning up on the battery sets.

-Phil

Uffda

Number of posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Post by Timaaay! on Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:47 pm

Absolutely amazing idea, Nick. I think that would be great!
Timaaay!

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Cavey on Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:48 pm

Nick, that is a lot of work and surely will be appreciated by many. I kinda cuts to the chase and gives some good information without fluff and subjectivity, "Just the facts Mam".

Don Cavey

Number of posts : 112

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaosky on Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:18 pm

Hi-- Tutoring animation is gonna be intensive---
I would try, instead, video clips of construction & test, with scope waveforms, etc
[[All those layers of wire in old radios is a rats nest that NO photo will show properly.]]
AND I would start at the end result, showing testing.... Then the archive of contruction.
ie, the schematic has numbered wires, like a wiring diagram; then they are cut and hooked in--in sequence....( a pencil shows this on a short VIDEO view of the schematic).
-----------The same with testing: sounds and waveforms....I have used a movie camera for this AND then edited it...
" Chaosky" <am.zing@gmail.com>

Chaosky

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down