Ready for this year to be over!

Go down

Ready for this year to be over! Empty Ready for this year to be over!

Post by Motorola man on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:39 pm

With the FCC's narrowbanding requirements coming into effect on January 1st, we've been extremely busy replacing and reprogramming radios for the last few years. As we predicted though, LOTS of customers have ignored our recommendations of planning ahead for the deadline, and waited until the last possible moment to become compliant. It's been a mad dash to finish up several major system installs and reprogram a ridiculous amount of radios. I've had to spend the last month working outside of the office, and since I'm the only bench tech at our highest volume location (more than our other 3 locations combined), my normal work load has been backing up quite a bit. So after spending all day working in the field, I have to come back to the shop to do my repairs at night and on weekends. I've even voluntarily given up more than a week of my vacation time to try to keep my head above water. Although I'm loving the paychecks, I'm tired of spending all of my waking hours at work.

With only 5 more business days left this year, the deadline is REALLY close, but the end isn't quite in sight yet. Although everyone has had several years to get this done, plenty of advanced notice, and we've been hammering the importance of getting it done, there are still lots of customers that have done absolutely nothing. Once these folks find out that they've had their FCC license revoked,are operating illegally and face enormous fines if caught, the mad dash will continue in order to get them into back into compliance. It's going to take months for things to get back to normal. I'm happy that we've been busy, which has allowed the company to grow, but I'm ready for things to settle back down. We could all use a break.
Motorola man
Motorola man

Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Ready for this year to be over! Empty Re: Ready for this year to be over!

Post by willy3486 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:08 pm

I have been there and done that myself. I remember one job a fellow told the bosses in a meeting we had if we didn't get time off he was going to have to make hay bales out in his fron yard because the grass was so high. Another job I had in a plumbing place one of the guys told the boss if he didn't ease up on us he was going to have to get his home lined up for a plumbing repair.

As I have gotten older and now that I have paid on my house and almost all bills I don't care about the money as much. I get decent pay and work four days at ten hours a day. If they would come up to me and say they were going to cut my hours I probably wouldn't mind. We have been getting ready for a move for my mother in law and for the last three years any free time I have has been dealing with that. I am at the point I am mentally and physically tired to the point I get to the point I can't think or get around easy. When this spell is over get some much needed rest, I plan too.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:53 pm

We had ours done last summer, and folks are still bringing theirs in to be reprogrammed as they finally work out that their portables are only working in miracle mode.

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:58 pm

Another long day has come and gone. With only five hours of overtime today, this is the earliest that I've gotten home all week. Tomorrow the fun begins at 6:00 AM. I'll be reprogramming everything at a cement quarry and manufacturing plant. I'm sure that it will not be an exception to the poor planner's rule: "Here's 3 radios. Once you get done with those, I'll spend the next 20 minutes redistributing them and rounding up three more. We'll repeat this process until we get all 256 radios done. Then we'll ask you to come back at least once a week for the next two months so we can reprogram the radios for all of the people who either knew well in advance when you were coming and yet decided to lock their radio up in their office, toolbox, locker, etc while they went on vacation or think that they're just too important to give up their radio for the 30 seconds that it takes to program it." Few and far between are the customers who actually have a logical plan. Whoever said "poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine," obviously has never been in my line of work. Oh well, C'est la vie!

Maybe some day I'll be able to find some free time to work on my own radios again. I've got several Zeniths and a Howard console that have been begging for some attention for quite a while.

Motorola man
Motorola man

Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down